Sign in to follow this  
vololiberista

Latest Update for DM's VC10

Thanks for the help, all worked. What was confusing was that the little squares on the pushback gauge do not display for me, but the click spots are there, just invisible.

I did my first proper flight tonight. Heathrow to Beiruit. What a gem of a plane this is. Coming out of autopilot at 7000 feet and manually following the vectors to the ILS and landing was a delight. Thanks to those who have taken the trouble to create this.

Peter

Glad you had a good flight. Yes indeed it's a fantastic aeroplane. All the more so because it's freeware and very much up to and certainly in my opinion beyond the standard of some payware!

I'm surprised you couldn't see the little squares on the pushback gauge. They are part of the bmp! so should show up.

You should be seeing this:-

Perhaps you have a video card setting that doesn't do blue grey!! :-)

In the mean time I have ticked off two further gauges that will be included with the next update.

1. Precision Altimeter Test - On the altimeter in front of you there are two small buttons marked "Test" and "Cancel". They now work!

So now you will know what the little light at the base of the gauge is for!

2. Standby Horizon Fast Erect - Bottom left corner of the Standby Horizon the Fast Erect button also now works. I have built in a 10% failure rate for gyro erection plus the possibility of kicking it into life when switching from ground power to flight.

Interesting information on this thread.

I'm installing the aircraft for the first time and am in difficulties.  I understand about the  \Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files arrangement.

I followed the readme files and installed the 1101 version as I thought correctly but the plane isn't showing up in the sim.  I checked and found that the .air file in the folder is VC101.air to match the model.1101 folder.  But, the aircraft.cfg refers to sim= VC105 and model=1151.

Obviously something has gone wrong somewhere. 

I have all the various updates needed to create the 'new' all singing version of the aircraft as detailed on this thread.  I think I must have chosen the wrong starting point.

I'd be grateful for advice.

John

Supporter.png

John

Will these updates work for the British Air Force version of the VC-10? Or does that plane have a different panel that the normal VC-10?

Interesting information on this thread.

I'm installing the aircraft for the first time and am in difficulties. I understand about the \Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files arrangement.

I followed the readme files and installed the 1101 version as I thought correctly but the plane isn't showing up in the sim. I checked and found that the .air file in the folder is VC101.air to match the model.1101 folder. But, the aircraft.cfg refers to sim= VC105 and model=1151.

Obviously something has gone wrong somewhere.

I have all the various updates needed to create the 'new' all singing version of the aircraft as detailed on this thread. I think I must have chosen the wrong starting point.

I'd be grateful for advice.

John

On David Maltby's site you should have downloaded the VC10 update.

Install it into a temporary directory Call it VC10 update

Within that you should have 5 sub directories

Aircraft

Aircraft1

Aircraft2

Aircraft3

Aircraft4

The DMFS Shared Files Directory in the Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\ is for all DM's aircraft.

Path=Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files

For the VC10 you should have the following folders in the DMFS Shared Files directory

Vickers VC10 Panel

Vickers VC10 Documentation

Vickers VC10 C1K Panel

Vickers VC10 C1K Documentation

Vickers VC10 Sound

Now look in your temporary directory

The folder in Aircraft contains another folder DMFS Shared Files. within which is Vickers VC10 Sound <--Copy this folder only into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files.

Aircraft1 folder contains to sub directories <Aircraft> <Effects>

Open the <aircraft> folder and copy the two directories..Vickers VC10 C1K Documentation..Vickers VC10 C1K Panel..

to Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files.

The two files in the <Effects> folder go to Flight Simulator 9\Effects

Aircraft2 folder sub folder DMFS Shared Files contains two directories .. Vickers VC10 Documentation...Vickers VC10 Panel. Put these into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files

Aircraft3 folder contains ...a folder <aircraft> in which there is...Vickers Super VC10...Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

Aircraft4 folder contains ...a folder <aircraft> in which there is...VC10 C1K..Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

So in the Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\ folder you should have three sub directories DMFS Shared Files, Vickers Super VC10 and VC10 C1K.

For the updates follow the instructions as which of these directories and their sub folder you copy stuff into.

It sounds as you may have mixed up some directories when you first set them up.

When you do the panel updates available on avsim most of the gauges for example (but not all) will go into

Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\Vickers VC10 Panel\DM_VC10

Panel bmps (but not all) and the panel.cfg will go into

Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\Vickers VC10 Panel

Engine sounds including sound.cfg will go into

Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files\Vickers VC10 Sound

Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\Vickers Super VC10

Contains the aircraft.cfg and VC105.air(for the VC10) and 130 VC105.air(for the C1K).

It also contains the model and texture folders.

The sound and panel folder contaents are aliased to DMFS Shared Files\

As it's a first time installation for you do each update in turn reading the documentation carefully

In this way you will see how the update developement "evolved" as some gauges get moved and or replaced.

I would recommend installing the voicechecklist files you can convert these to voice activation and use your own voice.

As for the checklists in VC10 FLYING MANUAL.doc read them carefully. This .doc file has also been added to as each update was produced.

I hope everything works ok and hopefully once you have digested everything you should get quite a lot of a sense of realism. But, as said above the project is still only about 60% done!!

Will these updates work for the British Air Force version of the VC-10? Or does that plane have a different panel that the normal VC-10?

Not at the moment. It's on the list but there are some significant changes to be done first as the panels are substantially different. I'm doing a new air.file and sound.cfg right now so you won't have to wait long for those! And, it will also include some small changes to the C1K panel that I have already done.

Thank you very much, vololiberista!  It's very kind to take so much trouble.  I will work on this later this evening and keep you posted.

John

Supporter.png

John

On David Maltby's site you should have downloaded the VC10 update.

Install it into a temporary directory Call it VC10 update

Within that you should have 5 sub directories

Aircraft

Aircraft1

Aircraft2

Aircraft3

Aircraft4

I need some help here. This is the VC10 download page on DM's website. Which VC10 update should I download?  I checked these and none have 5 sub directories.  Maybe I'm missing something obvious.

406993532.jpg

John

Supporter.png

John

I have to admit I downloaded everything centuries ago so some things may have changed.
You need to download the following zip files and extract them to a temp directory. Then from there into FS9.

VC10_1151_20061228.zip contains <aircraft> <Super VC10> Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

VC10_PANEL_20080415.zip <DMFS Shared Files> contains two directories ..<Vickers VC10 Documentation>;...<Vickers VC10 Panel>. Put these into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files
sub folder <Effects> folder the two files only go to Flight Simulator 9\Effects

VC10_SOUND_20061228.zipThe folder in Aircraft contains another folder DMFS Shared Files. within which is <Vickers VC10 Sound>--Copy this folder only into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft\DMFS Shared Files.

VC10_C1K_20080412.zip The folder <aircraft> in which there is...<VC10 C1K.>.Put this folder including its contents into Flight Simulator 9\Aircraft

VC10_C1K_PANEL_20080415.zip as for VC10 Panel 2008415.zip

I would point out that you also need the CIVA INS if you don't already have it as that is what the VC10 uses for navigation. The avsim updates have the GPS disabled.

http://www.simufly.com/ins/

You will need vers 5.1

Also the updates are for now only for the Super VC10. Once finished I will translate them for the C1k and Standard.

As you can see it's a big project!

Thanks again. The plane looks magificent. I can't wait to get airborne. I like the well used look of the panel too.

What next?  Should I install the 7 updates listed on the link at the top of this thread?  I have the 5.1 CIVA INS.

John

Supporter.png

John

Thanks again. The plane looks magificent. I can't wait to get airborne. I like the well used look of the panel too.

What next? Should I install the 7 updates listed on the link at the top of this thread? I have the 5.1 CIVA INS.

John

The basic download gives you a basic aeroplane that works like a car i.e. get in start and go! It's not at all realistic and for some reason David Maltby didn't do for the VC10 what he did with the BAC 111.

The updates on Avsim are intended to rectify that and make the whole flying process more realistic. You will see that the updates are evolutionary. It takes quite along time to fully test each new feature so that's why I chose to do it that way.

Fly the aeroplane as you have downloaded it to get the general feel (you already know the CIVA INS). download the first updates read them carefully and and fly the a/c again. Do the same for each update so within a couple of days of familiarisation flights you should be "up to speed!" You are effectively three crew rolled into one so the workload will be quite high. Hopefully in a few weeks time I'll be able to start on the hydraulics and electrical systems. These are major changes which will affect almost every gauge and on board system. So the next updates may be quite big! But, simmers will have a very accurate model for free that challenges any payware!!

Bit of advice for those downloading and installing the updates.

The first few updates include a new panel.cfg file. Included in the text are the lines relating to the CIVA INS....an example is as follows:

gauge60=F:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\civa\INS!Config, 1,-1,100,99,DM_VC10

Now you need to edit that so it reads

gauge60=../civa/INS!Config, 1,1,100,99,DM_VC10 ....and do the same for all the other references to the CIVA INS. There are a number of these for different windows in the panel.cfg file.

The updates do eventually recognise the problem, and correct the entries, but the first few will need editing, or else you wont be able to see the INS.

Peter

Peter Schluter

Thanks. 

I'll check that gauge entry when I get to that stage, Peter. 

All good so far, test flights on basic plane going well. I think it handles well but I guess it's not authentic. Works well with GoFlight throttles and CH yoke. Next I'll test the workings of the autothrottle and autopilot.  Seems they are a little idiosyncratic!  II was very surprised to find an autoland system.  Should be fun! 

John

Supporter.png

John

Autothrottle is only meant for approach/autoland... so max IAS is 180

Autoland was on this plane and on the Hawker Siddley Trident. Winter schedules were often disrupted by bad weather in Europe, so BOAC/BEA who became British Airways were happy to pay for an autoland system.

The VC-10 was fly by wire also. Very advanced for a 1960's plane.

Peter

Peter Schluter

Autothrottle is only meant for approach/autoland... so max IAS is 180

Autoland was on this plane and on the Hawker Siddley Trident. Winter schedules were often disrupted by bad weather in Europe, so BOAC/BEA who became British Airways were happy to pay for an autoland system.

The VC-10 was fly by wire also. Very advanced for a 1960's plane.

Peter

With the latest update correcting the original VC10 autopilot and discarding the cheat AP it's all manual throttle control until approach and landing. That's why the FE has his own set of throttles. For example during cruise climb, your target airspeed is 290kts until the required mach number is reached (not more than .84 is permitted). Plus your throttle setting will be 93%n2 or 96% depending on weight and ASA. You will need to frequently scan the engine instruments on the main panel and make small adjustments. Above FL240 the engines are more stable. As you level off in the cruise you will also need to ease the throttles back to avoid overshooting your targets.

The VC10 AP is a little different to modern APs as you don't set a target altitude for example. As you approach your target altitude you need to decrease your climb rate so that you meet the FL smoothly before clicking ALT Hold. It's all good staying in loop piloting skill stuff! None of the modern fire and forget type of piloting.

You wouldn't believe the arguments there have been on avsim regarding this. There are some that are convinced  that the airbuses were the first. Most of the VC10 control surfaces are electrically controlled. That is an electrical signal is sent to a PCU which then converts that into a hydraulic push/pull (the PCUs having their own dedicated hydraulic supply and reservoir - In case of hydraulic loss they automatically self centre). The autopilot is entirely electronic and qualifies as a 100% FBW system.

The VC10 has an unusual split system technology in that control is split between the hydraulic system and electrical system. The aircraft accidents that have resulted from a total loss of hydraulics would not affect the VC10 in such a dramatic way. Nor would a total electrical loss. In the case of an ELRAT (Electronic ram air turbine) deployment some instrumentation is compromised but not all and interestingly the pilots control columns will have opposite functions. For example p1's yoke will only be in pitch and p2's yoke only in roll. it seems counter intuitive but it does work!!!

So for modelling the hydraulics and electrical systems there is a lot of work to determine what functions and instrumentation is shared and what becomes defunct. If I can get all that done by Christmas I'll be well pleased but before that will be a dedicated fuel panel for the SVC10 showing the fin tank, airframe / engine anti-ice panel plus the two gauge tweaks mentioned here earlier.

One of the more recent updates resolved the long outstanding engine problems. The startup surge that in reality would probably cause permanent hot starting. The original n2 max% was 115% :O that would in reality probably result in engine disintegration! The power output at 115% should have been at 96% with a max n2 of 105% so now the engines conform well with the limitations schedule.  Plus the bonus of finally hearing the famous RR Conway compressor scream from inside!

vololiberista/Peter

My word!  This is a great thread for anyone interested in the VC10.  How did I miss this gem for so long? 

I knew that the Trident had autoland (the first in the world I think) but not the VC10. Your description of its FBW system is fascinating - as usual we Brits made the hard ground but failed to capitalise.  Never mind - European planemakers are all in it together these days. Competition is good but cooperation is good too! 

I think I might not fly the basic model much more.  As you say, vololiberista, I'll install the updates a few at a time and learn as I go along.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with all those complex hydraulic and electrical systems.  If that all goes as planned I might need a second yoke for Christmas - one for pitch and one for roll!  Now, that would be fun.....

John

Supporter.png

John

vololiberista/Peter

My word!  This is a great thread for anyone interested in the VC10.  How did I miss this gem for so long? 

I knew that the Trident had autoland (the first in the world I think) but not the VC10. Your description of its FBW system is fascinating - as usual we Brits made the hard ground but failed to capitalise.  Never mind - European planemakers are all in it together these days. Competition is good but cooperation is good too! 

I think I might not fly the basic model much more.  As you say, vololiberista, I'll install the updates a few at a time and learn as I go along.

Thanks for the advice and good luck with all those complex hydraulic and electrical systems.  If that all goes as planned I might need a second yoke for Christmas - one for pitch and one for roll!  Now, that would be fun.....

John

You need to set aside plenty of time to inwardly digest all the cockpit procedures and flight techniques. "Learning to fly the VC10" would look quite impressive on your next sick note!