Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

KSFO or KLAX?

I need a hub for my flights to PHNL, so I'm thinking of buying either of the new sceneries.In the Simflyers forum, one guy wrote that Fly Tampa is on par to Simflyers quality, if not better, so I'm somewhat insecure now, I thought of going for KLAX first.Anyone can give me some recommendations or point out drawbacks in either scenery?Andreas

Guest Boone

Fortunately you can download a demo of KLAX and give it a whirl yourself. I bought Fly Tampa's KSFO and downloaded the KLAX demo the same day. Without hesitation I bought Fly Tampa as I can rely on them for great frame rates and awesome looking scenery. I can assure you KSFO is a classic in its own right. It's that good. I ran KLAX on the same settings as KSFO and it was a total slide show. I changed some of the options and it remained a slide show. The terminal textures looked just like the old ones and didn't compare to Fly Tampa, not even close.I have never deleted a scenery so fast. On the other hand SimFlyers Las Vegas runs pretty smooth for me. The only thing SimFlyers has over Fly Tampa is docking jet ways but with Fly Tampa's gorgeous looks and easy frames you soon forget about that.Best RegardsBoone,BooneEIDW@hotmail.com"Flying a plane is no different from riding a bicycle. It's just a lot harder to put baseball cards in the spokes."

Hello Andreas:Which looks better may be somewhat in the eye of the beholder.I have both KLAX and KSFO along with all of the other SimFlyer and FlyTampa locations except Pheonix and Italy. They both have different good points IMHO. I will probably purchase Pheonix Sky Harbor in the next few days if not sooner.True, KLAX will not give you the framerates that KSFO will, however it is still reasonably smooth on my system. Some of the other FlyTampa locations will not give you what you will see in their latest KSFO scenery either for framerates. It is unbelievably fast for such a complex contribution. I have a post with my findings. All of the FlyTampa locations are a little bit better than SimFlyer's worst though as far as framerates are concerned. (worst for me is KIAH and KJFK).About the only thing I don't care for in the FlyTampa scenery are the five sided engine intakes on the static aircraft, but I am sure this probably contributes to the better framerates. If you do not move in close, this is academic anyway.Something neat at some of the FlyTampa locations is a flightline attendant waving you into the gate. (Well, I think it is neat anyway). I believe San Diego has this. Don't really remember which have the man, and which have the guidance light system.Best of luck:RTH

Simflyers may have the jetway but it pops up/out of nowhere. Surely dynamic scenery is at the point they could develop a jetway that moves slowy out to meen the aircraft.Fly San Francisco has a dynamic scenery like moving trams (BART system?) and moving traffic and still blows Simflyer away on frames. Get KSFO now as Fly Tampa will be creating KLAX down the road.

Guest Paul Heaney

I Have both, and FlyTampa KSFO is your best bet for your money. Hands down.

ahhh... maybe LAX was a rumor I read on the Fly Tampa forum... Gawd knows we can't have rumors flying around here!

Guest oyvindhansen

>About the only thing I don't care for in the FlyTampa scenery>are the five sided engine intakes on the static aircraft, but>I am sure this probably contributes to the better framerates.>If you do not move in close, this is academic anyway.>Who uses static aircraft anyway nowadays? They look awful together with AI traffic and awful in their own right.I would go for the KSFO. It has great framerates, great textures, interesting surroundings and the airport itself looks nice architecture-wise.Simflyers on the other hand has less good textures and bad framerate problems. One advantage thing is that if you have a lot of AI traffic KLAX has more airlines flying into it making the ground waits more interesting. SFO is mostly United.-

I just bought KSFO and am VERY happy with this scenery. Very decent frame rates, with all the sliders pretty much to the right and 100% ai traffic. Taxiing to the active I get about 12-17 fps in spot view, take-off ditto. Very flyable on my Athlon XP 2200 and GForceTi 4200 with 1 gig of ram.In contrast, I am extremely UNHAPPY with the simflyers frame rate destroying airports. Sceneries are good, if it weren't for the slide shows. Plus, Martin of flytampa is extremely responsive in terms of customer support. I now have Miami, San Diego, and San Francisco; I'll be buying the other two -Dubai and Tampa- as well.ricardo

Thrilled to hear of your satisfaction. I don't know what the difference is in KSFO but it definitely is a breakthru for all such scenery. It beats the pants off of everything else concerning framerates including the other FlyTampa locations (which are great sceneries as well - not bad mouthing, just complementing KSFO). In fact, I am not sure but what it beats the default scenery.One question for anybody who has Duabi: Does anyone know where we can get terminal arrival/departure and approach charts for this beautiful airport?Happy flying:RTH