Sign in to follow this  
Anxu00

Carenado Planes in XP 10

Hi all,

Many of Carenado planes in FSX needs Bernt Stolle FDE (flight dynamics) update to be enjoyable.  How are they in XP 10?  One of my favourite is the Bonanza F33A.  Can anyone comment?

Thanks in advance. 

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

I'm sure Geoffa will comment on the BF33A. I can speak for the PA34 and the Baron58, and say that they're very good, flight dynamics and engine wise...

It is possible to get engine parameters nearer to the reality in X-Plane than in MSFS. For a start, if your aircraft has an aspirated reciprocating engine in MSFS you'll be tied to the "Mixture Bug"  that was never solved up to MS FLIGHT and P3D. There is also a wrong relation between Prop RPM and MP on CS-type prop aircraft. In X-Plane you can nail it to the numbers :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

One of my favourite is the Bonanza F33A.  Can anyone comment?

Thanks in advance. 

You picked the wrong time. Carenado currently upgrades all their planes to X-Plane 10 64 bits. Especially for the older planes like the Bonanza F33A this is a very significant update. And the Bonanza is scheduled for its update in the next one or two weeks.

You picked the wrong time. Carenado currently upgrades all their planes to X-Plane 10 64 bits. Especially for the older planes like the Bonanza F33A this is a very significant update. And the Bonanza is scheduled for its update in the next one or two weeks.

Not sure what you meant by wrong time.  I have not bought it yet.  I have the FSX version and like it very much with Bernt Stolle FDE.  I would like to know how the Carenado models fly in X-Plane 10.

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Fsx models tend to fly more precisely by the numbers. The xplane versions especially since 10.2 " feel" more like the real thing. Some people worry about spins, and parameters that are not normally if rarely to ever experienced in flight. In the landing/ takeoff phase, straight and level, and standard rate turns which you experience 99% of the time in rw flight I prefer xplane now-especially landing/ takeoff which has a much more refined realistic feel than FSX. They of course look great and I love the glass reflection look of xplane in the cockpit-very cool. The Vtail is my favorite, baron less so in both sims.

Although not just a Carenado thing something which greatly improves VC flying in Xplane over FSX is cockpit shadows. It's a small thing but makes a huge difference to the immersion, and they look so realistic in a high resolution VC like Carenado provides.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Also, engine parameters are difficult to get right in MSFS with the Mixture and Prop RPM vs MP bugs in all recip aircraft ( rpm v mp on those with a cs prop... ).

Pick a reciprocating and start leaning above 4000'... The FF will first start to INCREASE instead of continuously decreasing. The higher you fly the wronger it is...

Also, in flight, make changes to your prop rpm and see mp stay frozen...

I believe that when Plane-Maker is used to it's full capabilities, we can come up with very true to real versions of most GA aircraft in X-Plane10. And then... XP Carenados will be in a continuous update process at the pace X-Plane core changes happen...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

I much prefer the feel of my Carenado planes in X-plane 10. As Geofa said, they feel more 'real'. Also the night lighting is awesome in the newer releases, and the shadow effects are great too. I definitely prefer the X-plane versions having bought quite a few FSX ones.

Never bought a Carenado when I had FSX, and later P3D installed... but some were said to be very good ( Bernt Stolle models ).

Main Simulation Rig:

Great topic. A few weeks ago I was working on a review of the C337 for x-plane. As part of the review I was also asked to compare it to its fsx brother. Until then I'd had neither version so it was interesting to see how they compared to each other without me having flown either. The result surprised me to say the least. I won't say to much because the magazine isn't out for another two weeks, but my preference was for the XPX version.

In fact after flying the XPX version for quite a while, I really disliked the way the fsx version felt.

I may not be able to say how either compared to the real thing , but my preference was that the XPX skymaster was superior to the fsx version in feel alone. Plus it was much better in other areas.

That's my 2¢ worth any way.

Best wishes ,

Jess B

I've flown a lot in the C337, Portuguese Airforce during the eighties... I have never bought the Carenado versions (either FSX or XP10), but I look fwd to get the XP version.... :-)

Having counter-rotating props, it's even better in terms of not being plagued by the "torque bug"....

Main Simulation Rig:

Carenado Planes in FSX are hits and misses, mostly misses and plagued with the problem of good looks but terrible in accurate  systems and flight models.  Without Bernt Stolle's several FDE update to the C208, F33A, A36 and B58 they are complete waste of money.  Having been burned so many times, you can understand why I am hesitating to invest with them again in XP 10.  I now stop buying any add-ons for FSX/P3D, I will wait and see how P3D 2.0 turns out and am slowly making in-road in XP 10.  Hopefully the experience will be better.

The good news jcomm is that the torque bug isn't present in the C337. It flies beautifully.

Does the torque bug exist for the Bonanzas?

Thanks

The Vtail is my favorite

Hi Geofa,

I have never used the V-tail how is it different than the F33A?

Thanks

Vu Pham

I believe a correctly designed aircraft for x-plane can have a very close to real performance, both aerodynamically and in terms of engine / systems.

For precise system implementation, plugins will sometimes have to be used, but overall there are lot's of parameters in Plane-Maker available for fine tuning.

Problem is that in order to get the base for a project some really detailed data  should be available.... This is only possible for some developers, and it has it's costs of course.... Someone with a private plane could very well try to adapt / create a model for x-plane though.

It's been more than 2 yrs since I last flew an AS-K21, but I intend to fine tune the model in X-Plane10 when I get the chance / time to do it :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Carenado Planes in FSX are hits and misses, mostly misses and plagued with the problem of good looks but terrible in accurate systems and flight models. Without Bernt Stolle's several FDE update to the C208, F33A, A36 and B58 they are complete waste of money. Having been burned so many times, you can understand why I am hesitating to invest with them again in XP 10. I now stop buying any add-ons for FSX/P3D, I will wait and see how P3D 2.0 turns out and am slowly making in-road in XP 10. Hopefully the experience will be better.

Does the torque bug exist for the Bonanzas?

Thanks

Hi Geofa,

I have never used the V-tail how is it different than the F33A?

Thanks

All Bo's pretty much fly the same except more Dutch roll in the longer models and Vtail. I just like the cockpit the best in the V.