Sign in to follow this  
Gregg_Seipp

Anybody ever try a touch screen monitor for FSX?

I wouldn't think it would go too well in terms of how they code the aircraft but it's an interesting idea.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Yes, it's posible. My friend use touchscreen with most of aircrafts. I didn't saw this in action, and he is on the trip right now, but i can ask him more about when he returns

I'm currently using an Acer T232HL touchscreen for FSX.  My eventual plan was to use a touchscreen as a panel monitor.  It was on sale however, so I bought it on an impulse.

I redesigned my simpit and mounted the touchscreen on a moveable arm, so I can place it wherever I wanted - the plan was to use it alongside one of my other 24's for now, and with perhaps a 40" in the future.  However, I ended up being so impressed by it, that currently I just have it as my main monitor.  With the arm, I can extend it towards me so that it's up nice and close to me.

Some planes of course work better than others.  I can completely control something like the dodosim 206 for example.  I love the start-up in that machine, never need to touch the mouse at all.  Most of my Carenado fleet works well too.  Little things like touching a visor to flip it up is really, really cool.  However, more complex planes like the Milviz F-86 are useless for the touchscreen, as almost all the switches use both left and right clicks.

I haven't used it yet with anything with an FMS, but I'm guessing it'll work nice for that.

One thing I've discovered, and this is particular to how and where I have the monitor placed, nothing to do with the touchscreen (except for that I've discovered this because of the touchscreen) - there seems to be a perfect sweet spot, really noticeable with military jets, in terms of eye placement to monitor.  When I have it placed just right,  and I throw the plane into a maneuver that causes the FSX head movement to bring the plane closer to me, you really get an immersive 'wow' moment.  I think it has something to do with the monitor floating in front of me, as there is no longer a desk in the bottom of your vision.

Jim Stewart

Milviz Person.