Sign in to follow this  
FLIGHTO

SP2 is out!

Not surprising that an FS bird does not exibit every nuance of the actual aircraft in each and every flight regime.

Sometime we have to take it on faith that a developer does the best they can with what they have to work with.

One would imagine that the costs involved of such a thing would be prohibitive unless you were paid to fly said aircraft for a living and knew how to build FDE's.

There is actually a single line in the air file that defines the effect between Rudder and Roll... it can be set higher or lower.

I believe this is being looked at by the authors, and if they do not change it, others (including myself) have got an alternate air file for those who would like it..  so lets wait and see what comes out of the current discussion.. ^_^

Bert

There is actually a single line in the air file that defines the effect between Rudder and Roll... it can be set higher or lower.

I believe this is being looked at by the authors, and if they do not change it, others (including myself) have got an alternate air file for those who would like it..  so lets wait and see what comes out of the current discussion.. ^_^

No kidding? Let's check it out!

Yea, ive done my part in defending Carenado too, and for the same reason. I give credit where it's due and I have done so with other apsects of this plane if you bother to check ALL my posts about it. I really love this plane. To date I think it's Carenado's best job, but I like to point out both the good as well as the bad points in hopes that the devs will take a look into it.

In this case I just don't think it's fair to say that roll in opposite direction of applied rudder should be considered a slight nuance though, mostly because it's a huge and very basic part of the normal flight characteristics of ANY plane and causes uncoordinated crosswind approaches and slips to not work.

I don't mind 15kts too slow or the power dropping off way too quickly above FL260 or most of the other little quirks because it is afterall a $40 toy and as far as FDE's go...wherever you make gains you gotta give...fix one thing break another...it's just how its always been in the MSFS series.

Thanks, Bert!  :im Not Worthy:

I'm quoting from an article which is a flight test of the real plane:

"The lateral and direction assessment at 140-160kt showed that the aircraft rolled in the direction of applied rudder"

and here's the link:

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flight-test-eads-tbm850-propelled-to-success-207667/

I've tried it in the sim at both the same speed/configuration in the article and also at approach speeds with flaps and gear down, unfortunately the sim version does the opposite of what the real plane does. I've never heard of a GA plane exhibiting this behavior ever. Not to say it doesnt exist, only that I'm not aware of it and that it goes against everything you learn about flying an aircraft as a private pilot and as a 120 dispatcher (for which I am licensed)...and in this particular case (for the TBM850) it does appear to be wrong behavior.

When I tried the rudder issue out the other day, the 850 did roll in the direction of the applied rudder, although it was a slight roll--nothing profound.

John

Hey John - dunno..maybe you accidentally had auto coord on (or the yaw damper)?

Try testing again in level flight...or on final approach and tell us what ya find.

Hey John - dunno..maybe you accidentally had auto coord on (or the yaw damper)?

Try testing again in level flight...or on final approach and tell us what ya find.

For me, with auto-coord off and the yaw damper off, the aircraft will start to roll in the direction in which rudder is applied, although it initially seems to rock back and forth a bit once I apply rudder.

John

For me, with auto-coord off and the yaw damper off, the aircraft will start to roll in the direction in which rudder is applied, although it initially seems to rock back and forth a bit once I apply rudder.

John

Same here. Has anyone got any idea why I'm having the problems I mentioned in my last post? I've run out of downloads for my TBM now as well so I cant simply download the most up to date version :(

EDIT: Also, is there any way of increasing the amount of right rudder required on takeoff? Hardly any FS planes seem to get this right.

I cant simply download the most up to date

Just drop a line to Carenado, and they will reset your downloads. As I've advised before, it's a good idea to completely uninstall, and restart computer before re-install with latest version.

It'll work Delta, don't give up.

Thanks man, just submitted a support request. How do I ensure that I've completely uninstalled it? Do I need to get rid of anything other than the folder in Simobjects?

Simobjects, and anything with "TBM850" in the FSX main/Gauges folder too.

I use windows uninstaller in the control panel, then have a look in the gauges folder, and make sure the simobjects is clean.

Thanks again, I'll give it a go and hopefully Carenado will sort my downloads out :)

John

Can't imagine how folks could be getting 2 different sets of results....sounds impossible with something like this being the base of the flight dynamic.

Hmm, try maybe posting up a video showing your results with full rudder deflection....

There are others here getting the same result as I am getting (opposite roll) and in fact Carenado is looking into it.

Have you made any edits to your aircraft cfg or air file, and did you test on final approach or a level cruise? Perhaps you'd be willing to meet up with me on Teamspeak voice server and we could try it together online and maybe figure out why we're getting different results...that might help alot to figure this out. Lemme know.

Can't imagine how folks could be getting 2 different sets of results....sounds impossible with something like this being the base of the flight dynamic.

Hmm, try maybe posting up a video showing your results with full rudder deflection....

There are others here getting the same result as I am getting (opposite roll) and in fact Carenado is looking into it.

Have you made any edits to your aircraft cfg or air file, and did you test on final approach or a level cruise? Perhaps you'd be willing to meet up with me on Teamspeak voice server and we could try it together online and maybe figure out why we're getting different results...that might help alot to figure this out. Lemme know.

I don't have TeamSpeak, but I do have Skype with full video, so you'd be able to watch live the flight in progress.  I was going to ask earlier if your winds are calm when you're testing.  Mine are, if that might make a difference.  I've tried rudder in level flight, in descent, and in climb, and the results are the same, with a gentle roll (or harder one) depending on how much rudder is applied, in the direction of the rudder input.

I've made no mods to Carenado's dynamics that came out in SP 1.  I haven't installed SP2 yet.

John

yes calm winds here as well...Burt, any ideas about this?

I will see if I can post a small youtube video of the 850 when I am applying rudder.

Regards,

John