Sign in to follow this  
rhodges

Panel Problem with Patch

I have found that with some aircraft, when I try to close or move some secondary panels to a second monitor that FS9 instantly exits with no warning window or anything else. This does not happen if I disable the original default fs9.exe file and enable that other unspeakable fs9.exe file (with or without uninstalling the patch).This has been particularly true on the PSS Dash 8 with the overhead or FMC panel.I can restart FS9 and repeat the exact same steps and everything may work ok. There is no warning when this is going to happen, or if it is going to work without any problem. I do not know whether this happens on default aircraft or is unique to third party birds only. It has been literally years since I implemented the defaults.Anybody else seeing this?Thanks:RTH

Since you are working with graphics and display, you might try renaming the new display.cfg to display.NEW in your ..Flight Simulator 9 folder. Next copy the display.xxx.cfg from your ..Flight Simulator 9BACKUP folder to the ..Flight Simulator 9 folder. Remove the ".xxx" from the file so it reads display.cfg. Restart the flight simulator with the correct FS9.exe update file and see if the problem is corrected.If this fixes the problem, compare each display.cfg file and not the changes between the two for your graphics adapter. If it doesn't fix the problem, delete display.cfg and rename display.NEW to display.cfg.W. Sieffert

Thanks for the suggestion W. SieffertSo far, replacing the display.cfg with my original out of the Patch Backup folder as you suggested works, but please note the following.When I looked in my FS9 patch BACKUP folder after the patch, I found that I had duplicate files or folders for a lot of line items. (i.e. Something like display A222.cfg and display A686.cfg, don't really remember the numbers). I am sure the reason was as follows: As is my custom, Immediately after installation of FS9 and before I install any addon's or modify anything, I made backups of a number of default folders and files. (i.e. Addon Scenery, Adv, Aircraft, Effects, Flights, Gauges, Modules, Scenery, Sound, Texture, all cfg and exe files such as devices, display, scenery and terrain). The way I do this is to copy each folder or file to the desktop, rename it (i.e. "display Original Default.cfg") and then move them back into the FS9 folder.Everywhere I had done this, I had two such files in the patch backup folder, obviously one being the active file or folder, and the other being by MY BACKUP (Not the patch backup). Unfortunately, I was not sure which was which.Therefore, again uninstalled the patch and PATCH BACKUP folder, moved all of MY BACKUPS (not the patch backup) to a separate folder outside of FS9, I then reinstalled the FS9 update patch. Now I only had one file or folder in question in the Patch backup folder.Now the kicker: As you suggested I tried my original display.cfg with the patch and saw no problem in the brief time I used it. But then just to see what happened, I replaced it with the patched display.cfg. So far I am not seeing the problem with it either now. I am wondering if the duplicate files could have been causing the problem.Of course this problem was intermittent to start with, so it will take some time either way to determine if a permanent solution has been found.Sure appreciate your interest and suggestion.Respectfully:RTH