Sign in to follow this  
steve310002

Cirrus SR22 Crash - Parachuted to the Ground

Glad to see no one was seriously injured. Am I right in saying that this is the first incident with this aircraft where the parachute was deployed successfully? I remember a few months back another incidenet where the parachute failed to open forcing the pilot to make a safe emergency landing.

http://news.sky.com/story/1100224/plane-crashes-in-gloucestershire-back-garden

Cheers

Steve

Am I right in saying that this is the first incident with this aircraft where the parachute was deployed successfully?

Afraid not, CAPS has been deployed hundreds of times already on the SR22.

This story has also made BBC News: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-22798139 Aircraft parachuted in to Garden near Gloucester Airport

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Steve,

If you're interested in US data, check out the link below, find the field that asks for "make", type in Cirrus and you'll get over 200 incidents/accidents. Under "events" there's a keyword field, type in "caps" and voila ;-)

http://www.ntsb.gov/aviationquery/index.aspx

Cheers,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

Afraid not, CAPS has been deployed hundreds if not thousands of times already on the SR22.

Less than 50 CAPS events w/ 70 survivors.

To me... plainly obvious which is better (safer) to have... an aircraft floating down at less than 20kts vertical velocity (zero forward no wind) or flying / gliding at 60kts forward or faster at impact.

From BBC:

"We heard a big loud noise, [the plane] was spinning in the parachute and landed in the trees about 12ft away from us,"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-22798139

Even with the CAPS though the SR-22 has an abysmal fatality rate. Since it's introduction in 2001 there have been 158 accidents of which 64 of them resulted in at least 1 fatality. That's a 41% fatality incident rate. Total fatalities were 123 fatalities. Which averages out to about 2 fatalities per incident. I compared that with the Cessna 172, which I think we can agree, there are many times more in operation than the SR-22 .  During the same time period, there have been 1773 accidents, of which 247 resulted in a death, which gives you only a 14% incident fatality rate.

Total fatalities were 492, which again averages out to 2 fatalities per incident.  Source from the NTSB database posted above,

Thanks

Tom

My Youtube Videos!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tf51d

I fly a Cirrus SR22 and I do think it's a challenging airplane to fly. In spite of all the safety features and neat avionics (which are very neat, BTW), its a very quick handling airplane and is particulary pitch sensitive. The avionics take some time to learn and need practice to stay current and proficient. All that being said, I enjoy flying it a lot and feel safer in it than I do in a Bonanza that I fly regularly. I've got a lot more time in the Bo and in some respects it's easier to fly but it doesn't have the redundancy the Cirrus has. And I gotta say, having that parachute is pretty nice if you really need it.

Walter Berger

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Wait till one of them "parachute" down on a playground full of school children!