Sign in to follow this  
jfri

Do I need to get some mesh in addition to Mega scenery earth

Or is it superfluous since the MSE is photo scenery and will depict mountains correctly without any additional mesh. Otherwise I do have the fsgenesis mesh. But are they needed in MSE areas ?

Or is it superfluous since the MSE is photo scenery and will depict mountains correctly without any additional mesh. Otherwise I do have the fsgenesis mesh. But are they needed in MSE areas ?

Yes, you would want good mesh for the MSE or any photoscenery. Even though it has mountains on it, they are still 2D and a good mesh brings them closer to 3D. As pointed out, try to stay with the MSEv2 tiles, much better quality.

Best, Michael

KDFW

I just installed MSE Colorado v2.0 and the 3d mountains are . . .WOW! I just posted some screen shots in my Album from a short flight KDEN to KGUC (Gunnison, CO). I flew it in Carenado's Cessna 182T Skylane and the scenery is remarkable. I had REX WXPlus turned on and had to fly around some weather and had mountain peaks at 12,000'. Neatest mountain flying I've ever done. MCE makes a couple of config recommendations and everything worked fine. This is my third MCE v2.0 package and they work great. Loading time is LLLOOOOONNNGGG so I'd recommend installing the scenery to a SSD, but once up I maintained 30ish fps and it was a delight. I give them a ***** for the product.

This is an automatic message.

This topic has been moved from "MS FSX Forum" to "The Photoreal Scenery Support Forum". This move has been done for a number of possible reasons.

• The most likely reason is that the post was off topic.
  • The topic could also have contained images or a video that were not appropriate to the original forum it was posted in.
  • The images might not have been "illustrative" or "explanatory" in nature.
  • The topic could have been moved because we deemed it to be more appropriately placed elsewhere.
Please ensure that your posts are "on topic" and contain illustrative images or videos as appropriate. Do not post videos or images just for entertainment purposes anywhere but in the screen shot or video forums. See our image posting rules here.

Members who continue to post off topic posts can be denied entry to specific forums in order to reduce and remove the practice. Your cooperation is appreciated.

Note to self: Stay away from MegaSceneryEarth!!! Bought it once and regret it....Northern Califronia 046! Quality is dreadful!

Like most photoscenery, the quality is as dependent on the available imagery as anything so there's going to be variability.  Please see the many screenshots done over the years with SimSavvy and now MSE v2 for a somewhat different picture.  The quality in many places is excellent.  Like Rick, I've just installed MSE v2 Colorado and have been enjoying my home state - the hub of my RW flying - as never before.

To the OP, in the US mesh quality seems very good, and I've not felt a real need to upgrade it.  The complex Colorado topography is rendered very well with MSE v2 and default mesh.

Scott

To the OP, in the US mesh quality seems very good, and I've not felt a real need to upgrade it. The complex Colorado topography is rendered very well with MSE v2 and default mesh.

You mean the default terrain mesh is adequate and there are no point in installing the higher resolution terrain mesh from fsgenesis ?  BTW What is default mesh resolution in FSX over USA ?

Regarding earlier posts about staying away from MSE. Do you mean I should stick to MSE V2 ? Well that's what I'm doing.

You mean the default terrain mesh is adequate and there are no point in installing the higher resolution terrain mesh from fsgenesis ? BTW What is default mesh resolution in FSX over USA ?

I believe the US is the highest default in FSX (38m ?), Canada, Europe and a few other areas about half as good and the rest of the world pretty abysmal.  In the US, I'm pretty happy with it.  Others may disagree, of course.

Here's a shot looking down the spine of the extreme northern edge of the Sangre de Cristo mountains and into the vast San Luis Valley.  As you can see, the mesh handles craggy ridges very well:

sangre-b.jpg

As for "new" vs "old" MSE, I had most of the Colorado tiles from the old product, and many of the areas were OK, while others were downright blurry.  It just depended.  The old product only covered a limited part of the state.

Scott

My experience is the same. I've used Newport Scenery's Hawaiian Islands which is a first generation photoscenery package and MegaSceneryXs Oahu which has a much finer mesh, I think its around 1m per pixel. The new stuff from MCE blows me away. It's easy of fraps and if you follw their recommedations, it's as realistic as you could hope for. I have CO, MN and WI. All three are outstanding and so far superior to GEX etc. At $40 a state they are a deal.