Sign in to follow this  
Guest EdrickV

Hong Kong Default Scenery CTD?

Guest EdrickV

Been flying around the Hong Kong area and I keep getting a g3d.dll crash between VHHH and VHHX. There seems to be an odd green island there which doesn't seem to use autogen textures so looks like it's a third party thing, but with all addon sceneries turned off it's still there and the crashes still happen. The only addon sceneries that could be active are ones that say you're supposed to install them into folders in the main scenery folder. (the hyp*.bgl type) Anyone have any idea what could be causing this, or what I could do to try and isolate the cause?"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

I fly around Hong Kong (VHHX) a lot. Can you post ascreenshot?

Guest EdrickV

It seems I don't have all my addon scenery disabled. Tried disabling it by editing the config file in Wordpad (Find|Replace seemed quicker then doing it manually in game) but though the in game list reflected the changes the actual scenery I had installed still showed up. I don't think I've installed anything in the Hong Kong area though. (I haven't done any flying there till now.) I think it is part of a bridge? I don't have the FS9.1 update yet so that isn't it.Here is part of a top down view showing the odd green island (now a bit blurry) that I think is causing the crash. I haven't been able to actually get over to it yet. Go a little ways away from VHHX in that direction and it crashes, head that way from VHHH and it crashes. (I can get farther away from VHHH.)http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94415.jpgThe odd green island is on the far left.

Looks like to me you might have some remnents of an old VHHH add-on on comercial add-on like Samsoft HK 2004 . Both of those played around with that island and the bridges. But I wouldn't think that would cause a crash.The other thing could be a landclass issue you might have unknowingly installed. I had one piece of terrain mesh that had a hiddin landclass that would cause me to crash even though the terrain was around 300-500 miles away.Check you add-on scenery folder and un-check any terrain mesh files that might be active if you install them that way. I do that just for these reasons. I can click and un-check until the problem appears. Good way to snoop.

Guest EdrickV

I haven't bought any payware stuff yet (much less for Hong Kong) so it's not that. Only mesh I have installed is for the USA, Alaska, and maybe Hawaii. (Have some other meshes but they're not installed.) I think that island might be a default fake island for the bridge, I'm not sure why I'm getting the crash though. I'll have to experiment and see what I can do. And for that matter see if my scenery settings are even working. Hmm. Just noticed I've got what seems to be a Hong Kong landclass in my old landclass folder. (Something I must have downloaded for FS2002 and forgotten about.) I'll try making it inactive and see if it helps."Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."

Just to make you feel better, this is a known problem from an add-on. Just to make you feel worse, I can't remember which, offhand. If you have installed Eddie Chan's autogen for FS2002, that has been updated for FS2004 as it did cause a crash, yes. When I think of anything else I'll get back to you!Mark "Dark Moment" Beaumonthttp://www.swiremariners.com/newlogo.jpg

Guest yarvelling

The island certainly isn't a 'fake'...it's Ma Wan island, a little under a mile off the north east coast of Lantau Island, and is used in reality to help span the airport expressway road and rail-link to the newer CLK international airport, between Lantau Island, Tsing Yi (the larger island to the right, and mainland Kowloon.Your aerial shot looks as though the texturing has become corrupted, probably by other scenery that you have installed....maybe that landclass that you mentioned. Hopefully, removing that landclass will fix the issue for you. There is an excellent Asia landclass available via Mark 'Dark Moments' Beaumonts' superb site (Swire Mariners)....just follow the links from sig in his earlier post. There is a whole host of info and downloads that should fix your problems and enhance your enjoyment of Hong Kong flying :)

Guest EdrickV

By fake island I meant scenery island as opposed to mesh island. :) And that was based on how different the textures look from anything else. The landclass was causing the crash and that's fixed, but the island is still there with the bridge which doesn't line up with the roads. Here is a closeup pic of Ma Wan island:http://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94471.jpgNow it looks like I've got a 3rd party scenery island for the bridge sitting on top of a mesh island, which makes me think I've got some FS2002 Hong Kong bridge scenery installed somewhere. Don't remember installing any, but I don't remember installing that landclass either. (I can guess why I installed the landclass though: stress testing in FS2002. It's that massive Hong Kong autogen one.)"Let me help you out. You're cleared to taxi any way you can to any runway you see."