Sign in to follow this  
Geofa

Carenado f33/vtail updates

Ralf, there is such a simple fix.... Everyone can easily do it, after making backups, of course....

Also, having access to real world data for the aircraft - namely the speeds - or simply looking at the speed arcs in the ASI, will help getting better results.

1) Open the aircraft in Plane Maker, move to Expert - Artificial Stability.

2) Pick the speed at which you want the aircraft to gain the normal tendency to weathervane. This can be a speed near the normal takeoff speed (a bit lower, so that the transition is felt while the aircraft is still on ground, but with it's nose gear getting light...)

3) On the LOW SPEED SYSTEM, central row (heading) set the target deg/sec yaw rate to a value you find as an acceptable yaw rate for that aircraft. Start with 030 (30º/s) if no other number looks better to you..).  On the fraction deflection per degree per second difference enter, for a start, 0.3500 (explanation given when you get the mouse cursor inside the field...). Finally, use the speed you chose above (let's say it was 75 KIAS) and enter it there as 0.075...

What will happen is that your aircraft will be under Artificial Stability Augmentation during the taxi and takeoff phases of your flight, and your rudder inputs will be "added" by that system and adapted to keep the sideslip / ground veering angle you aim at.

Once above that threshold speed, all will return to "normal law" and you will be freed from art stab... 

Beware that the effects will come to play everytime you fly really slow, or approach you stall speed or even get bellow it!

Adjust the target deg/sec yaw rate and the fraction deflection per degree per second difference until you're satisfied ;-)

The question is why didn't Carenado fix this?  Will try of course.

Thanks

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

Tested the F33 here. Man, if it wasn't for this constant Roll issue, this aircraft would be amazing for flying, much better than my FSX addons...

Strange-I haven't had the roll issue since 10.20. Plane will trim and fly straight and level now for quite a while..

The question is why didn't Carenado fix this?  Will try of course.

Thanks

Because it is an Artrificial Stability element that are seen by several people asw a cheat. The Problem is: The Designers of the real Aircraft always try to get as much added stability into their product as possible.X-Plane is in no position to simulate these components, they have to fake their effects. But since it is called Artifical Stability some people go nuts if these settings are used.

The landing gear of planes is always a compromise. Especially in smaller planes they are more based on experience than on simulation. In reality you couldn't really simulate them in real time.So I don't think you could tempt Austin or Ben to write a X-Landinggear.

Is anyone else finding that the autopilot heading mode causes the plane to turn on a shallow bank angle when commanded to turn left, but it's turning at a reasonable bank angle when commanded to turn right?

Strange-I haven't had the roll issue since 10.20. Plane will trim and fly straight and level now for quite a while..

Yeah I can Rudder Trim  it and it will stay level, although it makes it fly uncoordinated. But I guess it's better than the untrimmable version from the near past

Alexis Mefano

Am I correct that this plane will still suffer occasional CTD's due to the Windows memory allocation bug until the next version of is released?

Yeah I can Rudder Trim  it and it will stay level, although it makes it fly uncoordinated. But I guess it's better than the untrimmable version from the near past

I downloaded the Bonanza F33A yesterday and the C172N today.  I like low and slow and love these two.

John

John Wingold

re:low and slow :lol

I started on a c150 that went 95 knts. Moving to a Bonanza doing 150-160 kts. does not feel slow-in fact most have a huge amount of trouble slowing them down at first. Go to a Baron and likewise186 kts seems real fast.

Now low and slow-driving an hour to the airport two hours early, going thru security,being brutilized by security, waiting at the gate an hour, being delayed, then getting to your destination and waiting 30 minutes for your luggage....

I found flying "low and slow" I could always beat the airlines on any trip under about 12-1500 nautical miles....10 minutes to the airport, 10 minutes to load the plane-preflight-and you are off. Land and they drive the rental car up to the plane and put it to bed for you. Just saying-flying a Bonanza isn't so slow though perhaps relatively low!

Slow, and a grimy cattle experience, and not a fun experience-the way I view airline flights now! 

Maybe the "slow" part does not apply, but I like to see the ground.  Somehow, sitting in a cockpit with only the instruments to "see" where you are, does not satisfy my "flying" needs.  While I understand IFR, and use it even when VFR is an option, I just like to see the "terrain stuff".  The Bonanza has all the "airplane stuff" needed and it is represented very well and the Cessna is, well, what it is.  Both appear to represent the real appearance and that's all I ask.  Realism is what it is all about.  Maybe 10.30 will get the rest of it right, although they have come a long way as it is.  As a former FSX advocate and X-Plane critic, that's saying a lot.  I think "Flight" with no cockpits did it for me with Microsoft's efforts.

John

John Wingold

Is anyone else finding that the autopilot heading mode causes the plane to turn on a shallow bank angle when commanded to turn left, but it's turning at a reasonable bank angle when commanded to turn right?

I haven't experienced this type of behavior in a long time.  What caused this issue back then was my joystick not being properly calibrated.  You may want to check your joystick or yoke to make sure you have them centered.