Sign in to follow this  

I have 8gb GSkill memory rated at 8-8-8-24 1.5volts. However, unless I go into the BIOS and set the timings manually it will run at 11-11-11-28 according to CPU-Z. I'm asking because after uninstalling and reinstalling FSX again, i got a g2d.dll crash. I had the machine (I5 3570 on ASRock Extereme 6 board) overclocked to 4.4. When i went back in and ran BIOS default settings, I had no problems. I guess I just don't understand memory timings and why my machine runs the memory at settings other than what it's rated at. Also, does anyone know of a better overclocking guide than the one at overclock.net? Apparently, my 4.4 overclock isn't stable. Thanks

I will admit that I am not an over-clocking expert, but when you go into the BIOS isn't there an option under ram settings to load the XMP profile that's built into the memory modules? That *should* get you the rated speeds, I would think?

Had the same issue few months ago after building a system for a friend. Also G.Skill 2x 8Gb 8-8-8-24 modules. When in the bios (ASRock board) I selected the load XMP profile option, I got an unstable system. Entering timings manually resulted in an unstable system. Autoselect gave similar timings to yours (11-11-11-28 or something like that, don't remember exactly) but a stable system.

In the end I could not solve it and kept it at the auto setting (so far for expensive memory....).

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

Not sure about your ASRock board but on my Asus Z77, there is a physical switch on the board itself to enable XMP mode. My 1866 Mhz memory will run at 1600 mhz unless the XMP profile is enabled. You shouldn't have to get too far into the nuts and bolts of it for a modest overclock. You should be able to set the multiplier to your desired value and let the BIOS overclock utility configure the rest. I did this with my 3770K and have a stable 4.5 Ghz. Also, if you haven't done this already, you should disable any turbo mode function in BIOS to allow the chip to run at a constant clock frequency.

Beginning to think it was simply a case of my CPU voltage being way too low. Went back and read and re-read the guide for my board at Overclock.net. My mistake it appears was not adding enough turbo voltage (I'm running it in offset mode). Where as before I couldn't even get my machine to boot at 4.5, I'm now 45 minutes into prime95 by raising the turbo voltage. Of course the final test will be FSX, I don't think any stress test can duplicate what FSX does to a computer

Of course the final test will be FSX, I don't think any stress test can duplicate what FSX does to a computer

Run Grand Theft Auto IV by Rockstar Games.

It's the mainstream gaming equivalent of FSX: A badly coded port that uses mostly the CPU instead of the GPU like modern games should. It is also similar to FSX because it is simulating an entire virtual city with multiple things going on at one time including weather, day/night cycles, dynamic AI, traffic patterns, mass transit running multiple routes, and even incoming/outgoing air traffic, etc.

I don't think any stress test can duplicate what FSX does to a computer

From a CPU temp standpoint, benchmarking programs actually stress the CPU far more than FSX or any other program can. The performance issues with FSX have more to do with the fact that its a single threaded CPU bound application that can't take advantage natively of multiple cores. It won't utilize powerful graphics cards to their potential either placing even more burden on the CPU. FSX and CPU overclocks in general, do not respond well with voltage and clock frequency changes. Its best to disable the turbo mode function and lock the CPU at a constant frequency and voltage if overclocking. Regards