Sign in to follow this  
ivo09

Cloud Resolution...

How much difference is there between normal 1024x1024 clouds and the 4096x4096 HD clouds. I recently tried several different cloud resolutions but they all look sort of the same to me. I cannot tell the difference between the 1024 and 4096 clouds at all. Even the 512 ones look similar. Im running 1920x1080 with REX. Am I doing something wrong or is there not very much diffence in the way they look in the sim. Haven't done in-depth perfomance tests but I would say they performed relatively the same so I thinking maybe I did something wrong installing the textures. Can anyone shed light on this?

Cheers

It could be that in your FSX.cfg file you have the "TEXTURE_MAX_LOAD" set to 1024, which is the default setting of FSX. In order to get HD textures higher than 1024x1024 you have to change this setting manually to 4096. I believe REX does this, however if you change your display settings in FSX afterwards the setting will be reverted to the default of 1024. There is a program available here on Avsim called 'Texture Max Load Editor' which is able to prevent FSX changing back to 1024.

There is definately a visual and performance difference, the clouds are very sharp and detailed under 4096, although any of the REX HD settings look great; higher settings just use more performance whilst only providing more details up close. I've actually found that 4096 clouds perform better on my system but obviously the impact will vary significantly.

IMO the 4096x4096 clouds look a bit too sharp when you compare them to real clouds, that's the main reason for me to use the standard 1024X1024 textures, but I am not under the impression tha tthe higher res clouds have an impact on my performance.