Sign in to follow this  
jman8910

one question... is RC worth it?

Belligerence really is far-fetched - I think it's about reassurance. That's why the question got posted in the RC forum, I reckon.

Perhaps a much better phrased (and more accurate??) reply??  However, I have to follow on with this:  How is it possible to offer much if any reassurance??  It's kind of like that "which airplane is right for me?" question.  How can we, the buying public offer much except our opinions--which may or may not prove valid in the case of the purchaser?? 

Jayman8910 is the only person who can decide if RC is "worth it" to him.  The manufacturer of the product, whether it be a flight sim model or Radar Contact is the only one who can offer to back his product with an offer of refund if not satisfied with its use and performance.  What I find to be intolerable may be a non-issue for the next pilot, and vice-versa.  I never, ever, buy Carenado airplanes for that reason while whole legions of others drool over the newest release.

My emphasizing "learned to use it properly" was directed to the fact that many purchasers seem unable to give the program the time needed to read and learn the manual and how to interact with the program in actual use.  There is indeed a definite learning curve and if the purchaser (any purchaser) is not willing to spend time moving along that curve then the program will indeed not be "worth it" to him.  None of us flew a sim model correctly the very first time we opened the very first flight sim program we purchased and none of us used RC correctly the first (or second, or third) time we opened that program either.  But we were willing to move along that learning curve and RC then became "worth it" to us.  Frankly I can't seem to start any flight at all without RC running.  Just buzzing around without any ATC  and not one voice out there seems totally a waste to me.  I even do those Sunday afternoon drives as filed IFR flights.

To me RC is totally worth it.

(...)

That being said, which one is easier to set up and better in terms of most realistic phraseology and flawless speech recognition? Vox ATC or RC4?

I haven't got a clue.   :P

Just like to name the only 'missing' ATC addon here: ProFlightEmulator.

Regarding 'one time' setup and interfacing 'per flight', RC is way easier than PFE. PFE, however, is more 'live' and has more voices and accents, packed into localized groups of controllers.

As stated above, my overall favourite is (still) RC4.3.

BTW, jd (from JDT LLC) announced some news for his return from his holiday.

BTW, jd (from JDT LLC) announced some news for his return from his holiday.

Link please and thanx.

spacer.png

Guest Mik75

(...)

That being said, which one is easier to set up and better in terms of most realistic phraseology and flawless speech recognition? Vox ATC or RC4?

I haven't got a clue. :P

Just like to name the only 'missing' ATC addon here: ProFlightEmulator.

Regarding 'one time' setup and interfacing 'per flight', RC is way easier than PFE. PFE, however, is more 'live' and has more voices and accents, packed into localized groups of controllers.

As stated above, my overall favourite is (still) RC4.3.

BTW, jd (from JDT LLC) announced some news for his return from his holiday.

PFE is quite complicated to set up though.

The most important part for me would be the correct phraseology.

The videos I watched of RC interacting with MCE were quite impressing. The speech recognition of MCE is outstandingly good!

Is it true that RC doesn't assign any STARs or transitions?

Yes, but it does fully recognize them in a loaded flight plan.

spacer.png

Guest Mik75

Yes, but it does fully recognize them in a loaded flight plan.

Ok, that's good news. Will it refer to the single waypoints of the loaded STAR or will it tell me to use the STAR XYZ?

And the SID and active runway is assigned during clearance, according to wind and weather?

Link please and thanx.

Link here and you're welcome:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/406908-12-months/?p=2666424

Ok, that's good news. Will it refer to the single waypoints of the loaded STAR or will it tell me to use the STAR XYZ?

And the SID and active runway is assigned during clearance, according to wind and weather?

RC refers to the single WPs from your FP, that's what makes the STARs static - no changes according to wind.

BUT:

You can request different IAPs (published approaches), so RC won't bother if you fly a last-minute-change of your filed STAR.

Runways are assigned based on AI traffic (that's nearly like based on wind) but you can request different runways with different approaches, too.

Third option would be to activate NOTAMs ('hilly/mountainous region option') where ATC wouldn't bother neither about your flight track nor about your altitudes.

Guest Mik75

Link please and thanx.

Link here and you're welcome:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/406908-12-months/?p=2666424

RC refers to the single WPs from your FP, that's what makes the STARs static - no changes according to wind.

BUT:

You can request different IAPs (published approaches), so RC won't bother if you fly a last-minute-change of your filed STAR.

Runways are assigned based on AI traffic (that's nearly like based on wind) but you can request different runways with different approaches, too.

Third option would be to activate NOTAMs ('hilly/mountainous region option') where ATC wouldn't bother neither about your flight track nor about your altitudes.

Thanks a lot for that very detailed answer!

Are you by any chance running RC together with MCE? I hope that setup isn't too hard to do...

Last question, is it possible to run RC in a network through Wide FS or simconnect?

Thanks a lot for that very detailed answer!

Are you by any chance running RC together with MCE? I hope that setup isn't too hard to do...

Last question, is it possible to run RC in a network through Wide FS or simconnect?

Sorry, for me it's RC4.3 in conjunction with FlightDeckCompanion (talking of legacy products ...)

I never did that networked thing myself but I think this one could help:

http://jdtllc.com/documentation.htm

You're welcome!

wow,
thanks everyone for the info. it sounds like people like it. guess I am going to watch some youtube vids and figure it out!

by the way,  if you want a good VA with good staff, check out http://emeraldva.org/

Yes, it's possible to run RC in a network through FSUIPC (registered) and WideClient. I have been doing this for years.

Regards,

Andreas Gutzwiller

I have no RW flight experience and only became a Flight Sim afficionado in the last 18 months or so. I have found RC to be a great learning tool for simulating ATC interaction in what seems to be a realistic way. It has a few bugs, cannot really handle VFR, depending on your system power the audio playback can be slow and unresponsive, and finally yes it has a somewhat steep learning curve. But this is a simulation, not a game, steep learning curves come with the territory. I would still recommend RC for sure to anyone semi-serious about their FS hobby.

Supposedly next month, some word will be out about development plans for a new version of RC, I certainly hope it is a project that comes to fruition. And yes try out the 'Meatwater' Voice Pack version 2, it improves on the realism and speed of the audio voices.

It has a few bugs, cannot really handle VFR, depending on your system power the audio playback can be slow and unresponsive,

True, it cannot handle VFR at all.  Supposedly one of the features in the long hoped for V-5 will be the ability to have VFR flight tracking...hopefully.

As to the audio playback being slow, do you have the background chatter (or something like that) turned off??  That helps a whole lot.  I am not talking about the RC interacting with AI here.  It's the one where you hear a constant stream of canned chatter.

I prefer the 'ATC based on AI traffic', too.

Another lagging issue is related to the option to display the text of the ATC in a separate window via FSUIPC. Those text messages can lag considerably - but they have to be regarded as a 'cheat' anyway.

Perhaps a much better phrased (and more accurate??) reply??  However, I have to follow on with this:  How is it possible to offer much if any reassurance??  It's kind of like that "which airplane is right for me?" question.  How can we, the buying public offer much except our opinions--which may or may not prove valid in the case of the purchaser?? 

Jayman8910 is the only person who can decide if RC is "worth it" to him.  The manufacturer of the product, whether it be a flight sim model or Radar Contact is the only one who can offer to back his product with an offer of refund if not satisfied with its use and performance.  What I find to be intolerable may be a non-issue for the next pilot, and vice-versa.  I never, ever, buy Carenado airplanes for that reason while whole legions of others drool over the newest release.

My emphasizing "learned to use it properly" was directed to the fact that many purchasers seem unable to give the program the time needed to read and learn the manual and how to interact with the program in actual use.  There is indeed a definite learning curve and if the purchaser (any purchaser) is not willing to spend time moving along that curve then the program will indeed not be "worth it" to him.  None of us flew a sim model correctly the very first time we opened the very first flight sim program we purchased and none of us used RC correctly the first (or second, or third) time we opened that program either.  But we were willing to move along that learning curve and RC then became "worth it" to us.  Frankly I can't seem to start any flight at all without RC running.  Just buzzing around without any ATC  and not one voice out there seems totally a waste to me.  I even do those Sunday afternoon drives as filed IFR flights.

To me RC is totally worth it.

Dan, I normally enjoy your posts and contributions on AVSIM; genuinely.  But in this thread, you seem to have a problem with those that are exercising their opinion, where it questions the value of RC.

I use it, because I have owned it for years - but I would certainly not buy it today, at it;s present price.  It is old, it is clunky and quirky, and it is still priced at the level of a contemporary product.     Of course it does some things well, which is why I use it.