I have FSX running in a networked mode with FSX on one machine and AS2012 etc running on another through Simconnect . I also have FSUIPC registered version. All connects fine and weather updates etc onto FSX. My problem is that the clouds in FSX change like so quickly, I will be flying along and one of two things happens, all clouds disappear then get redrawn in different places or they just redraw immediately in a different area. I am sure both of these symptoms are the same problem. I have FSUIPC Smooth pressure set to 8 and smooth Temp set to 25.

Can someone help out please.  

FSX SP2 Delux

i7-3770K @ 3.5GHZ

GTX680

Windows 7 64Bit

FSUIPC 4.90

AS2012 SP2

Prevent Cloud Re-draws on?

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

I have FSX running in a networked mode with FSX on one machine and AS2012 etc running on another through Simconnect . I also have FSUIPC registered version. All connects fine and weather updates etc onto FSX. My problem is that the clouds in FSX change like so quickly, I will be flying along and one of two things happens, all clouds disappear then get redrawn in different places or they just redraw immediately in a different area. I am sure both of these symptoms are the same problem. I have FSUIPC Smooth pressure set to 8 and smooth Temp set to 25.

Can someone help out please.  

FSX SP2 Delux

i7-3770K @ 3.5GHZ

GTX680

Windows 7 64Bit

FSUIPC 4.90

AS2012 SP2

This will fix it: http://www.simforums.com/forums/how-to-get-rid-of-annoying-flashing-clouds_topic24830.html

Also, try to disable all FSUIPC wather smoothing(there is a key for that), and use DWC mode in AS2012. This combination works excelent and it was recommended by AS2012 developers(i think). No problems with clouds re-draws, S-turns etc

Thanks guys, the prevent re-draws was not checked and also the Force Destination WX which I have unchecked have fixed the problem.

Ops, spoke too soon, doesn't seem to have fixed it. I don't think it is a problem with flashing clouds. They just go then a new set comes back as opposed to a flashing sort of graphics problem. The clouds look great, just when a new depiction comes on it goes from cloudy to clear sky's to cloudy again. 

Are you flying on VATSIM and using FSINN?  If so, you probably have conflicting weather engines.

Ensure that you select DISABLE under FSINN Weather settings, then close FSX and FSINN, and restart them both.  The disable flag needs the restart.

Report back please.

Dave

Dave Hodges

System Specs:  I9-13900KF, NVIDIA 4070TI, Quest 3, Multiple Displays, Lots of TERRIFIC friends, 3 cats, and a wonderfully stubborn wife.

try this for the annoying flashing clouds, cant remember the author but kudos to him as it fixed my issues, was found here at avsim som time ago

The ultimate culprit lies in the material handling of the cloud shader.

Go to this folder:

FSX\ShadersHLSL\misc

There you will find a file called SwarmCloud.fx. Make a backup copy of this file somewhere. (as always no crying if you don't do this step) 

Open the original SwarmCloud.fx in notepad or wordpad and then look down about 20 lines down from the top. You will see this entry:

bool NewMaterialUsage = true;

Change its value from true to false. Make sure to keep the semi-colon.

Save and close the file.

Now, go to C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

(If you can't get to this folder make sure that "show hidden & system files/folders" is turned on in your windows folder options.)

(This is the XP path by the way, Vista users will have to hunt for their equivlalent in the users folder.)

You will see a folder there called: Shaders.

Either move that folder out of there or delete it. Don't worry, FSX will build a new one the next time you run it. It contains a cache of the compiled shaders. This folder must be removed to ensure that the change you made to the cloud shader file above will be compiled and used on FSX's next run.

==============================================

Note: This fix can be undone by simply editing TRUE into the line as noted above. 

Also, I suggest you not delete the entire SHADER folder from 

C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\

as suggested and instead simply empty the contents of: 

C:\documents & settings\<your username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\FSX\Shaders\Misc

Of course be sure to backup the MISC folder I noted above before trying this so it can be restored -and- backup the original SwarmCloud.fx file in the Flight Simulator X\ShadersHLSL\misc directory.

Sorry Kand but as I said this is not a graphics problem, it is a weather problem, basically the clouds go then they are re drawn a few seconds later. It's not like a flashing problem like this fix says.

So to re-iterate I am flying along, the clouds are there, AS2012 does an update they disappear then reappear maybe as a different form and in a different place. So FSX is getting a new set of clouds and as opposed to smoothly changing to the new depicitation they are total refreshing the sky. I hope this makes sense.

Sorry Kand but as I said this is not a graphics problem, it is a weather problem, basically the clouds go then they are re drawn a few seconds later. It's not like a flashing problem like this fix says.

So to re-iterate I am flying along, the clouds are there, AS2012 does an update they disappear then reappear maybe as a different form and in a different place. So FSX is getting a new set of clouds and as opposed to smoothly changing to the new depicitation they are total refreshing the sky. I hope this makes sense.

We are aware of that, it's a known issue. I gived you the same solution like @@kand gived you, in that link above. It is the right solution for your problem, but needs to be applied to work...  :rolleyes:

Make a backup of your files if you don't belive, but just try it before sugesting that is not a solution

Ok will give it a try tomorrow. The logic doesn't ring true but I will do exactly as you have suggested and report back. And to confirm I also disable all weather in FSUIPC?

Yes, disabling Weather in FSUIPC and using DWC mode in AS2012. Here you can find my settings for AS2012: https://www.dropbox.com/s/k5o4eslz14rxc89/AS2012.rar

When you say disabling weather, do you mean having nothing checked in FSUIPC that will control weather or do you mean having FSUIPC dampen the weather effects?

When you say disabling weather, do you mean having nothing checked in FSUIPC that will control weather or do you mean having FSUIPC dampen the weather effects?

Nothing checked in FSUIPC. I mean disabling weather smoothing via FSUIPC.

You can press "Disable All Weather Settings" in fsuipc, to save some time

Nothing checked in FSUIPC. I mean disabling weather smoothing via FSUIPC.

You can press "Disable All Weather Settings" in fsuipc, to save some time

Ah thanks Zeljko, just wanted to be sure as someone else refered "Disabling weather in FSUIPC" as actually enabling smoothing to disable the weather effects.