Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

I built a 4770K Haswell / GTX 770 system for a friend yesterday

jfri, on 10 Jun 2013 - 4:48 PM, said:

Only 21-25 fps. My expectation from the newest most powerful CPUs were higher. And a Carenado plane isn't hard on fps. Did you have everything maxed out in FSX ? I had hoped for demanding planes like PMDG NGX 737 to stay stable 30 fps.

Yeah, everything maxed - every box checked in the OrbX control panel, Autogen and Scenery Complexity at Extremely Dense, AI traffic at 100% (with the FTX NA AI package). I also have all the other OrbX airports for the region installed and maxed out and also REX installed with 4096 textures.

Keep in mind that my old Phenom II @ 3.7 GHz was getting ~8 - 10 FPS, with quite a few settings turned down (but still relatively high settings). So it's an improvement of about 3X, with the Intel CPU. OrbX Anacortes is one of the absolute worst for me with regards to FPS. Mostly everywhere else, it's a constant 30 FPS (locked). I was expecting a doubling of the FPS or similar, so I'm very impressed.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

I have a feeling that come the fall I am going to build a delided 3770K subzero based system over the same with the 4770k but I would like to see more results first.

I have a friend who built a GTX660/4770K system last week. 

He overclocked his CPU to 4.6GHZ and screen shared with FSX for me. Overall, seems to be about 20-30% better performance than my current SB system clock for clock. 

I have a feeling that come the fall I am going to build a delided 3770K subzero based system over the same with the 4770k but I would like to see more results first.

Delidded subzero 3770k is what i run today, done the first tests with haswell 4770k on

air its much more tricky to tune this beast not as easy to gverclock like SandyB.

After i tuned the mems and learned the system its time for the SS.

Its seems Very promising think this gone give me the 10% gain over My 3770k delidded

That a want.

It was the same discussion last year SB vs IB , now its time for SB and IB vs Haswell,

The guys that ar most loud of how bad the haswell or IB performs ( overclock ) have

Not try them only read on differnt forums how bad they OC .

I have a friend who built a GTX660/4770K system last week. 

He overclocked his CPU to 4.6GHZ and screen shared with FSX for me. Overall, seems to be about 20-30% better performance than my current SB system clock for clock.

+1

+1

Way too much (as if any is ok) of that goes on here at AVSIM... people regurgitate what they see on another forum or site and use that as if they are speaking from some position of experience or authority.

Hasse... I think I can safely say many of us sincerely appreciate you sharing your experience and findings (results) with us.  Thanks.

The guys that ar most loud of how bad the haswell or IB performs ( overclock ) have

+1

From what I saw from my friend, Haswell seems to overclock fairly well.

If you want to go above 4.3-4.5, it is recommended to find a decent closed loop watercooler. There is now a plethora of available ones so finding a fairly priced option shouldn't be too difficult. 

Just got myself a new system as well, with an i5 4670K... First couple of days ran stock, today I simply tried the Auto OC function of the motherboard and voila.... 4,4GHz without me doing much of anything. Seems stable so far as well, temps max out at 70C on a Corsair H100i (in Quiet Mode) and I've yet to tune the voltage... can probably be a bit lower. No direct comparisons for me, since I previously only used an IB 3720QM in an Alienware laptop and I don't have my full FSX set up yet.

If you want to go above 4.3-4.5, it is recommended to find a decent closed loop watercooler. There is now a plethora of available ones so finding a fairly priced option shouldn't be too difficult.

I have put my old H100 , not the chiller .

Begin tune the system @4.6 low vcore  the trick is the memspeed and that you have a good mobo.

have done one FSMark full pass @4.6 mem 2600 10 12 12 27 1T it blow the pants of the 3770K @4.8 .and my 2700K @+5.2

AVG 53.2 fps  only the beginning the run was with my spare 680 and the best Mobo for Bucks Gigabyte Z87X-OC

I have until black Friday and cyber Monday to decide. You guys might be being a bit hard on those who are skeptical because of the negative reviews of the Haswell. We are not all OC guru's and there is usually no smoke without fire. Having said that, it seem there is enthusiasm here for 4770k and it would be great if you guys on the bleeding edge would let your finding trickle down. I for one am well over due a new build and I am looking to kill FSX once and for all with the next one. I live in a freezer for the 4 to 5 months of the year that FSX is front and center and will take advantage of that to cool my PC. I have had my i7 920 at 4.8 ghz in my garage at -15 degrees and FSX in the NGX over ORBX and under REX was great. The question for me is doing the same with 3rd or 4th gen Intel will be great either way. I am sure I will get 5 GHz plus with a 3770k. And I can do that with all used parts form eBay etc. My concern with the 4770k is that I have to buy new and I might have memory timing problems with the later! It's a question of opportunity cost.

AVG 53.2 fps

:shok:

Only @ 4.6GHZ!

I'd love to see a run @ 5.3-5.5GHZ with nitro. That would seriously be some impressive FSX performance at that level. 

Well my mind is made up. My wife said she didn't really need her own pc so ive put my sandybridge/gtx 680 rig i was going to give her up for sale and will be going for a 4770k system with 2400mhz ram.

Undecided on motherboard yet but thinking i might go for the MSI MPower. Cpu will be cooled by a H110.

Also have a gtx 780 on the way from amazon which should be here in about 2 weeks hopefully. So much cheaper than the outrageous prices here in Australia.

Looking forward to getting the new rig up and running and seeing what she can do.

In my opinion the so called poor overclockability of Haswell has been over played. It seems there are plenty of people getting good results. Besides its not all just about the cpu for everyone. I'm looking forward to having my 4 SSD's all on native sata 6gb ports.

Ryan,

Nice build for your friend. I also have a CM HAF case and would buy another for my next build. Amazing quality IMO.

With the prices of SSD's coming down it only makes sense to have a couple now a days for the best performance. Spinner drives are such a huge bottleneck.

OCZ VERTEX4 256GB Boot drive with Win 7 64 Ultimate

Mushkin MKNSSDCR 240GB dedicated for FSX

Not the highest quality SSD's but have been fast and flawless so far. I'm planning on adding a sata III card soon seeings how my Z77 board only has 2 of those ports.

why er you guys buying a gtx 780 just for fsx,it will necer use 100% anyway i have a i7 3770k 4,5 ghz and a gtx 670 its nore than enógh to fsx,fsx is an old program that can not even use todays hardware properly.

why er you guys buying a gtx 780 just for fsx,it will necer use 100% anyway i have a i7 3770k 4,5 ghz and a gtx 670 its nore than enógh to fsx,fsx is an old program that can not even use todays hardware properly.

Who says they're buying 780 only for FSX?  I bought a 780 to upgrade from my 680, mostly for other games.  Besides, with high enough AA settings you can in fact see a performance increase in FSX with a faster video card.  Word Not Allowed's Titan review shows that much.