Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Trying to like X-Plane

I bought XPX to see what it was like, and I'm going slowly in getting it set up, tweaked, added-on etc. before I make any kind of decision about where it goes on my list of flight sims.

First newbie question, though, is : How do I make my VC adjustments stick? I switch to VC, zoom back, rotate down ... but when I change views - say, looking left - and return to forward view, it takes me back to 2D panel and I have to start all over again.

Is there a config default setting I can change, or what?

I really do like the smoothness of the sim, and the view out the side window looks almost 3D. But that pesky cockpit view thing makes me want to say, "Oh, to heck with it."

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

JohnW

Hi John,

To get to the VC, Click shift-9 and from there, hold right mouse button to look around.

hold right mouse button to look around.

or use the hat switch on your joystick to look around the cockpit (setting has to applied in the controls menu) just like in FSX.

Hi John,

To get to the VC, Click shift-9 and from there, hold right mouse button to look around.

Just curious, does XP support TrackIR?

FS2020 

Alienware Aurora R11 10th Gen Intel Core i7 10700F - Windows 11 Home 32GB Ram
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16GB DLSS 3 - HP Reverb G2

John, from what I recall (ive returned to FSX) I believe you will need an addon that saves your vc views...there are 1 or 2 i think but forgot the name...try searching on google or the forums for it.

Give yourself adequate time, to bring yourself up-to-speed on this non-Microsoft product and format.

The rewards are great.  I've had my copy around a month, and have it up to 30 FPS with great screen visuals, and in mostly the worst kinds of weather. It took me about a month or so, to do this. I have purchased a Carenado (A36 Bonanza) plane, have downloaded TONS of scenery and airports, and am enjoying my XPX immensely. I'm sure you will too! Again, give yourself the gift of time-to-learn the ropes of XPX usage. 

Yes. It 'does' trackIR very well ...

@jtwhite: Simple - forget about all other sims - they're pure Crap!

X-Plane is the ** only ** Ultra-Realistic Flight simulator!  Ok?  Believe me!!! Just don't ask me why!! I am tired and it's Friday... 

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

X-Plane is the ** only ** Ultra-Realistic Flight simulator!  Ok?  Believe me!!! Just don't ask me why!! I am tired and it's Friday... 

:clapping:  :drinks:  and will get better by fall/winter 2013.  By 2014 I think Aerosoft will start releasing their city sceneries also for xp10 plus their AES Ground Services.  It's going to be amazing!

X-Plane is the ** only ** Ultra-Realistic Flight simulator! Ok? Believe me!!! Just don't ask me why!! I am tired and it's Friday...

It sure is!!!

Spent more late time reading on the Internet about torque steer, and the XPlane requirement to feed in that aileron trim in a hurry after takeoff. Really makes you feel like a pilot....... I read. Those other sims just don't portray this symptom well, and question any flight model that doesn't. And if it doesn't do that....... Then what else is wrong with the model?

At least this is what I read , last evening. Now of course, this torque steer is wrong. Pilots are not needing to set a bunch of aileron trim before takeoff, and feeding in more during the climb. Planes do not want to easily roll over, except at low airspeed and high power application.

But..... XP is the only one that does torque in such a way. Realistic or not.

Just had to throw that in........ In case you missed it :) keeps me up until midnight reading a that good stuff.

Knowing you, on monday your opinion will change, LOL.

Best, Michael

KDFW

Knowing you, on monday your opinion will change, LOL.

Your Radar is On :-)

Do you really think I think that way? :-)

I didn't want to write to much...

Larry, and others, have summarized very well the weirdiness of some flight dynamics "features" of X-Plane10. 

I do look forward for LR to soften the effects I don't like in X-Plane10, but my sentence, which was meant to be somehow sarcastic, does have a fundament...

There is undoubtedly for me more to like about X-Plane10 than to dislike, and there are some features that I really find unique about this flight simulator. Most are features of the simulation platform itself, but there is one that really keeps me believing in it's future... It is very ALIVE!

Now, DCS is very alive too, and the flight dynamics are simply SUPERB!, but Ilack the chance to find anywhere in the World, with weather conditions that really give me a good deal of interaction with those virtual aircraft controls, being able to fly an airliner, a GA, even a glider, etc...

In X-Plane10 I am also learning to use great ( for free!!! ) scenery!

So, although somehow sarcastic, there is truth in that sentence, and I even have learned to live with the problems we know X-Plane's FDM still hasn't still ironed...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Yes. It 'does' trackIR very well ...

I don't own XP10 only the latest version of the XP10 Demo, and from that experience, I would beg to differ.    

TrackIR movements are delayed, slow and clunky.

Perhaps things are improved in the latest core product? .... Or perhaps (as was the case with XP9), a plug improves things?

Just saying, TrackIR was the deal breaker for me, and it ran awfully in the demo.

More inspired views .......  :rolleyes:

TrackIR movements are delayed, slow and clunky.

Perhaps things are improved in the latest core product? .... Or perhaps (as was the case with XP9), a plug improves things?

Just saying, TrackIR was the deal breaker for me, and it ran awfully in the demo.

TrackIR response is slightly different in XP and at first feels very strange coming directly from FSX or Flight like I did. But spend a little time getting used to it and it starts to feel normal, intuitive, and frankly more realistic than the (quite literally) break-neck speed that FSX allows you to look around the cockpit.

I used FS9, FSX and then Flight heavily and loved most of my time with them. XP10 beats the pants off all of them for the feeling of 'being there'.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea