Sign in to follow this  
jtwhite

Trying to like X-Plane

XP10 beats the pants off all of them for the feeling of 'being there'.

True!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I believe you will need an addon that saves your vc views

No you don't! Once you have selected a vc view just save it by using ctl+Num (only use keypad). Recall view using keypad number

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Hmm, yeah been with the 64 bit demo for a week.  Not impressed relative to what FSX gives at present.  No AI traffic, horrible ATC (is there a viable AI ATC add-on yet), TIR issues (as noted), highly awkward user interfaces.  It's not there yet.

spacer.png

Hmm, yeah been with the 64 bit demo for a week.  Not impressed relative to what FSX gives at present.  No AI traffic, horrible ATC (is there a viable AI ATC add-on yet), TIR issues (as noted), highly awkward user interfaces.  It's not there yet.

+1 as well on that. 

I think the generic scenery look has to be fixed too unless you download freeware and or buy a ton of scenery. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png

Yes., there is still a lot to be done... but the beauty, for me, lays in:

1) The simplicity with which you manage X-Plane10 and add-ons (drag & drop style...)

2) The superior weather effects

3) The superior flight dynamics when it comes to rotary wing

4) The superior flight dynamics when, for instance an airliner, is carefully designed for X-Plane10 - i.e.: Peter's aircraft, and the A380 in particular, FlyJSim 727s, LES dc-3, Felis airplanes, etc...etc...

We will soon have good AI traffic add-ons (there is already one...), ATC (that is a must!), and even, so I hope, weather injectors for X-Plane10.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

My experience with TrackIR 5 differs from the above. TIR5 works fine with XP10 on my PC. In fact, I use the same profile for both XP10 and FSX. I also use the PilotView Plugin.

here we go again :lol: FSX people comparing a 7yr old 32bit dead Sim with established 3rd Party Support to a new 64bit Sim just starting out and still in beta.... :Talk to the Hand:

I don't own XP10 only the latest version of the XP10 Demo, and from that experience, I would beg to differ.

TrackIR movements are delayed, slow and clunky.

Could be user error. Honestly, TrackIR functions correctly with X-Plane 10 and does very well.

Not impressed relative to what FSX gives at present

Is that with or without the tons of add-ons?

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

here we go again :lol: FSX people comparing a 7yr old 32bit dead Sim with established 3rd Party Support to a new 64bit Sim just starting out and still in beta.... :Talk to the Hand:

Whoa there, Five-by-Five!  I don't necessarily disagree that die-hard MSFS fans berating X-Plane for not being MSFS is a bit of a waste of everyone's time..  but I think it's a bit of a stretch to characterize X-Plane 10 as "just starting out".

And a Beta?  For £45 of my hard-earned, I durned well want a product that's firmly in its production lifecycle, not still under testing.

No offence, but hearing X-Plane defended as such makes me less inclined to give it a try and more likely to put time and effort into FlightGear as the next-gen FS platform.  If I'm going to be testing an unfinished product, I'm beggared if I'm going to pay for the privilege.

Respectfully

Dr V

Is that with or without the tons of add-ons?

Fair question.  I have perhaps $600-800 of add-ons for FSX.  Really, FSX is just a platform for add-ons.

So it may not be a fair comparison.  Having said that, I cant afford to "buy" my way in to a comparably modded XPX.

spacer.png

If I'm going to be testing an unfinished product, I'm beggared if I'm going to pay for the privilege.

You better get used to it. A lot of new software today is being released in this way. It's an increasing trend that makes sense for developers. Also, a lot of customers don't mind. As for the MSFS fans berating X-Plane, Avsim has to put a stop to it, period.

So it may not be a fair comparison.  Having said that, I cant afford to "buy" my way in to a comparably modded XPX.

Fair and honest answer Chris.

Carlos

As for the MSFS fans berating X-Plane, Avsim has to put a stop to it, period.

Disagree.

These are the 2 kids on the block and we need to make informed decisions.

You sound as though you are emotionally tied to the fate of XPX.  Take a breath.

There is no question that at some point we will all have to transition to XPX, the big question is when.

My own opinion for my situation is maybe soon but not yet.

Yes, but you need to read between the lines.

We FSX users are trying to gauge WHEN to make the shift to XPX we all know me must.

spacer.png

its not a matter of berating/bashing xpx. There is potential.  Personally I dont feel its there yet else I would make the jump. Guess it depends what P3D V2 will yield or lack there of as well. FSX is indeed a dead 32 bit sim, but heck look at what is still being produced for it still!.   How the heck can you walk away from something like PMDG 777 and 747v2.  FTX Global and other sceneries. 

Maybe is another 18-24 months we will be saying different things as to who is king. Who knows at this point. 

CYVR LSZH 

http://f9ixu0-2.png