Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tatave

The bargain hunter's shack

Hi,

I understand that improvements are being made to Avsim, but why was the Bargain Hunter's shack removed? It was much easier for developers (Such as Flight1) to post their specials in a forum, as it was easier also for us simmers to find the occasional discounts. If I remember correctly, this was done before, but the forum was just recreated. Why do this again given that it had already failed the first time? 

Thanks for any info, 

Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

I to enjoyed the bargain hunters shack it saved me a lot of money and put money into the pockets of many FS companys! Please bring it back.

..except there's been a distinct lack of entries in the "Bargain" section of the classifieds since it went live.  I've only ever seen two, and one of them was a test post.

Consider this another vote for reinstating the old style Bargain Hunter's Shack.

Dr V

I've only ever seen two, and one of them was a test post.

Yeah, me too, and I missed the second one, because I wasn't aware of the new system earlier.

Besides,with the old system you could always tell whether there's been new posts/topics or not from the main page.

Besides,with the old system you could always tell whether there's been new posts/topics or not from the main page.

That's one of the worst things about the new system. 

I absolutely agree.  I, too, liked the old variation of the sub-forum.

Just look to the right:

Presumably this would include entries from the Bargains section as well?

But having not seen anything in the Bargains section for a couple of weeks now, I get the feeling that those who would have posted in the old Bargain Hunters' Shack do not seem to be adopting the new format at all.  Which is a shame.

Dr V

Just look to the right:

Thanks for pointing that out, Tom. Haven't noticed that before.

Yes, it would. Making an entry in the new system is not any more difficult than entering a message in the forum system. If community members and commercial members want to forgo using the new system because it is different, then I don't know what to say.

But having not seen anything in the Bargains section for a couple of weeks now, I get the feeling that those who would have posted in the old Bargain Hunters' Shack do not seem to be adopting the new format at all.  Which is a shame.

Dr V

I get that feeling, too.  Seems like there was usually at least one deal posted a week.  Guess we're on our own to actively go search.

Different is not necessarily better. I feel this new setup is clunky and too formal compared to the simple forum way of old. If I get a vote, I prefer the return of the old format.

+1 on bringing back the old system. The new forum is not as user friendly and as inviting as the old sub forum which I found very useful and also enjoyed posting stuff there to help others.

We did lose flightsimdealoftheday as well as flight1 sales (haven't seen one in a while). It just seems like there are less sales in general. But it's been eerily quiet since the forum switch. Maybe Tom can push the commercial members along....and we the community can step up in the meantime. For example, this week's aerosoft sale is the simcheck a300. I've heard it's excellent.

In a traditional sense, it seems like 'classifieds' would be where individuals might post stuff for sale.  The word has a newspaperish craigslist feel to it.  Businesses might not feel comfortable going there. 

In a traditional sense, it seems like 'classifieds' would be where individuals might post stuff for sale.  The word has a newspaperish craigslist feel to it.  Businesses might not feel comfortable going there. 

100% agree.  I know the old forum didn't see a lot of action, but if "forum cleanup" was the primary motivation behind this move I have to chuckle a bit.  Avsim has more sub-forums than any other 10 forums I go to put together.  

Well, dang, I guess I missed the Aerosoft Father's Day sale.  Just noticed.

Well said. That is exactly what I thought it meant. Guess I need to explore the forums more in depth. Cpt. Out.

Well, dang, I guess I missed the Aerosoft Father's Day sale.  Just noticed.

Oh, crap!! I didn't even see anything about a sale.

Oh, crap!! I didn't even see anything about a sale.

Yeah.  me neither.  I don't think it was shown on the US version

So it was an EU Aerosoft sale only? Just out of curiosity, what where some of the deals?

So it was an EU Aerosoft sale only? Just out of curiosity, what where some of the deals?

Some sceneries discounted.