Sign in to follow this  
Guest edwardpat2004

Is this all I can expect.

Guest monsoon

Just bought an ATI X800 pro. Upgraded from a 9800 pro. With activesky and PMDG 737 it seems to give me about 20-25 fps. Man i was getting that with my 9800 pro! Yes I uninstalled and reinstalled new drivers. ANy ideas why I am not getting better performance? I didnt really change anything int he display settings. Thx.

Guest oyvindhansen

What settings are you using then? You should be able to turn up resolution, AA and AF with a smaller penalty than on your old card. On the other hand the CPU becomes the limiting factor at lower image qualities.-

Guest monsoon

I have a P4 2.6C. You think I need higher?

Guest oyvindhansen

That CPU is definitely a bottleneck with your new card. Whether you need anything faster is a matter of preference, but the new generation of cards need something close to the fastest CPU available today to unlock their full potential, and fs is also more CPU-centric than most games. -

With the newer card you can run AA and AF higher but you cannot expect much better frames with a Video card alone. Flight sim is CPU limited. Faster CPU with even an older generation Gforce or ATI card will give just as good FPS than a newer video card with a out of date CPU although quality is always better with the newer video cards. Now throw in say America's Army or D()()M 3 and it's another story.Best Wishes,[h4]Randy J. Smith[/h4]http://www.rawbw.com/~bdoolin/shinault/Animation1.gifCaution! Not a real pilot, but do play one on TV ;-)AMD 64 3200+ | NEC LCD 1980SXi 19" | ASUS KV8 DELUXE | GFORCE 5700 ULTRA @535/1000 | Maxtor 6Y080M0 SATA 80 GIG | 512 DDR 400 | Windows Xp Pro |

Guest monsoon

Well I overclocked my cpu to 3.1. All i can say is it makes a HUGE difference.

Guest cw1011

If you are getting 20 to 25 with high settings, lots of clouds, AF, AA and mip mapping, and AI traffic, and that airplane your system is doing extremely well.I have the same card, a gig of memory and an AMD 2800+ ocd to 3200 plus (which means its about as fast as a p4 2800 and noticed this upgrading from a 9700 pro card. In weather situations my frames have increased noticably - I am no longer being dropped into single digits coming through heavy clouds; coming into detailed airports is much smoother now and up between 18 and 22 as a steady rate - it was down around 12 to 14 before. Not bad - but what I expected. It is going to take 4 gig cpus and higher to make MSFS really sing at high frames and high settings. Is your cpu a celeron? upgrading to a ht pentium at higher clock speeds will likely give you greater performance - and you might only need to buy the cpu...Overclocking can give you a bit of an edge as well, though pentiums allow you to only oc the front side bus - all but the latest AMD chips are easier to oc.

Is it possible your power supply might need a boost? I am not an expert, but I remember hearing that you can throw all the hardware you want into a tower, but if you want it to run, you need an adequate power supply to get the most out of your hardware. Worth a look?:D

Guest monsoon

Nah the PS is 380 Watts. The chip is a 2.6C. Everything is fine and dandy now that i OC'd the cpu to 3.1. Very smooth. Happy Camper. Just goes to show how important the CPU is in FS9

Guest edwardpat2004

Well, too much talking about the importance of the CPU, but what about the RAM installed?. In my opinion it plays a very important role once you have an acceptable CPU.