Sign in to follow this  
justinxfan

Airbus A340 refuses to take off

Hi! Can someone help me? I got a A340 by CLS and at about 200 knots, I push my down button on my keyboard all the way back, but the plane refuses to go to the skies. It worked before but now it doesn't. I ended up crashing and ending my flight. Can someone help?

firstly I recommend you get a joystick- it makes life in fsx a lot easier

Maybe you forgot to set (elevator)  trim high enough before departure !

Also, without joystick imho it is easier to use the mouse (Ctrl-Y) to steer and fly the aircraft then use the keyboard,

Guy

I'm getting a joystick within this month or so, first need to make some money from delivering newspapers and yes, I got flaps on 3/15.

And how and why does the elevator need to be set

And how do you use mouse to steer?

Elevator trim must be set before departure to be able to rotate the aircraft.

I don't know to what exact value for this aircraft  but set it up.

(normally something like 1.8-2.4 for an airbus)

It can be set with the keyboard Numpad keys 7(up,I think) and 1(down).

To use the mouse do CTRL-Y .

A large "+" will appear on your screen.

And then move the mouse (left,right,up,down)

You can also use the mousewheel to set thrust.

It's quite easy.

I use it all the time on my laptop.

Guy

Elevator trim must be set before departure to be able to rotate the aircraft.

I don't know to what exact value for this aircraft  but set it up.

(normally something like 1.8-2.4 for an airbus)

It can be set with the keyboard Numpad keys 7(up,I think) and 1(down).

To use the mouse do CTRL-Y .

A large "+" will appear on your screen.

And then move the mouse (left,right,up,down)

You can also use the mousewheel to set thrust.

It's quite easy.

I use it all the time on my laptop.

Guy

First I must correct the information I gave yesterday:

To set Elevator TRIM wit the keyboard Numpad keys : 7=down and 1=up

Set it to 1.8 up for the A340

Concerning the MOUSE (Ctrl-Y) :

The movements are the same as with a joystick :

Left/Right to go left/right  , Forward to go down and Backward (Towards yourself) to go up.

As there is no Rudder command, it is good practice to set AUTORUDDER ON in the Fsx realism settings when using the mouse.

Guy

Another  rectification or precision :

To ACTIVATE the MOUSE you have to :

- first  activate the joystick by CTRL+K  (even if you have none !)  and then only

- activate the mouse by CTRL+Y

Otherwise the mouse will not work .

Excuse me for forgetting this .

This time it's complete ! :rolleyes:

Guy

Some addon aircraft will not leave the ground if folding wings are in the aircraft.cfg file and you've mapped keys to toggle them on and off. Try removing the folding wings section from the aircraft.cfg file... If it's there.

Streaming at twitch.tv/brynmwr

Try removing the folding wings section from the aircraft.cfg file... If it's there.

I'd say that's highly unlikely, why should it be there on an A340?

What I've experienced with the CLS 767 is quite similar, it didn't even want to take off at 300 kts once, because I forgot to set the elevator trim.

Press the Z key to turn the autopilot off... It's happened to me on several aircraft, and the side effect of having it ON on the ground is not able to control pitch.

Diego

Press the Z key to turn the autopilot off... It's happened to me on several aircraft, and the side effect of having it ON on the ground is not able to control pitch.

Diego

But on the defaulkt 737 it lets me take-off by autopilot. Even if I disengage autopilot and pull back, it still doesn't go.

On many FS  aircraft (all default for example) when you set AP ON before take-off,  it is AUTOMATICALLY TRIMMED  very HIGH.

So mostly you will take-off very quickly this way.

In the REAL world take-off is NEVER done with AP on.

The lowest AP can be engaged is generally 400 ft agl (depending on type)

As has been said now several times, the reason of your problem is most surely elevator TRIM setting. If elevator trim is not set high enough, you will not be able to ROTATE. This is perfectly normal behaviour on large aircraft

The TRIM setting in an airbus is shown on the PEDESTAL besides the trim-wheel and also on the lower ECAM in the Fctl synoptics page.

Set it to  1.8 up before take-off.

Guy

Surprised nobody has asked what the gross weight and fuel load is, chances are he is trying to depart well above MTOW.

Regarding trim, you can still rotate with an out of trim aircraft, unless you are using a crazy figure like full nose down.

Optimum take off trim is designed to allow you to rotate at the correct speed and rate in order to follow the SRS commands via the flight director. With that in mind it is not really a good idea to make up random figures like 1.8 even if it is a default style aircraft.

Trim calculation & take off performance is based on a number of variables. First thing to check is you are departing below the aircrafts max take of weight.

Give this a try [url="http://www.avsimrus.com/f/fs2004-utilities-45/popular-calculator-to-calculate-takeoff-paro-calculate-takeoff-parameters-in-from-airbus-type-36340.html%5B/url]

Rob Prest

With that in mind it is not really a good idea to make up random figures like 1.8 even if it is a default style aircraft.

We are trying to help a beginner here !

You are going to drown him ! :rolleyes:

I am sure the MAIN reason of his problems is his too fast "career" in the Fs world.

Jumping in an A340 without even really knowing what TRIM is, is not a good idea ! :rolleyes:

Guy