Sign in to follow this  
Mork

A long scenery library - any disadvantages?

Hi all,

I was wondering if you should deselect every item in your Scenery library if you're not planning to fly there. My FSX start-up time is pretty long, so i guess disabling/deleting a few items could shorten that. But since i sometimes fly in Europe and sometimes in USA and several ORBX areas around the world, that would mean a lot of work. Now i only pay attention to the sequence/order of items.

Does FSX performance (loading time wise AND framerate/FPS whilst in-flight) suffer from a long scenery library, or does FSX only load the scenery for the region you fly in, and then in-flight dynamicly load scenery as to where you are heading/flying?

Just curious! Hope you guys can help me out.

Mark

No advantage in this. Aircraft quantity both AI and flyable have much more of an affect. 

I've been experimenting with regional loads as well. I found the best solution to reducing load time is to use configurations that only load specific AI aircraft folders for aircraft related to the area you wish to fly in. There are a few posts on these forums that suggest and describe how to create multiple cfg files. It has been a lot of work and sometimes gets messy especially  when dealing with airline livery updates.

Keith Guillory

Since a new install I've been careful about how many user aircraft I have in FSX. This seems to be the main culprit in my case. I have a ton of AI aircraft and as long as they aren't in the aircraft selection menu (they shouldn't be), they don't seem to affect it much. I keep a 'hangar' folder on the desktop with my aircraft and put them in individually as I use them.

I think any perceived loading time savings is lost to all the fussing around enabling/disabling  scenery and planes.

Load the sim and fly, if it takes a few minutes to load, plan accordingly and do something else while you wait.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif

Recently I've been installing MegaScenery, and while starting FSX is not slower, selecting a gate via the airport selection menu is. Sometimes I have to wait a minute or so until I can see the complete list of gates or ramps available at the airport I want to start at. I've changed my settings to install MegaScenery in folders by state rather than their default one folder per section leaving me with 100's of library entries. It seems a little faster but I still have to wait 10-20 secs before able to select the ramp or gate from the airport list.

Intel I7 6700k @ 4ghz, nVidia 3070ti 8gb, 16 gb ddr4 @ 1066mhz,  500 ssd, 2tb hdd, 2tb ssd, ASUS z170-E mb, Samsung 24" @ 1920x1080, P3D 5.4, MSFS

I have almost every MegaSceneryEarth for the USA installed.  I had them all enabled.  It took me 15-20 minutes to just load a flight and Go Fly.  I started studying this program called the Scenery Config Editor v1.1.  It allows you to disable/enable any scenery you want BEFORE you start up FSX.  So, if I'm flying from Chicago to St Louis, I'll disable all of my MegaSceneryEarth except for the airports for KORD and KSTL and enable the States of Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, and Indiana and maybe Wisconsin (you can see the states of Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin at altitude even though you will not be flying over them).  In the Scenery Config Editor I can save the scenery configuration as KORD_KSTL_Scenery.  I also have to save the configuration too so the changes can be made to the working Scenery.cfg.  Startup time is now down to maybe two minutes at the most.  I don't have to save a scenery configuration and just set up the States I'll be flying over, save the configuration to the FSX Scenery.cfg and go fly but this way I can call up any flight I have set up and the configuration will instantly show up in the Scenery Config Editor.  I then save it to the Scenery.cfg and go fly.  May sound complicated but it really is a simply process (and it works!).

Best regards,

Jim

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have almost every MegaSceneryEarth for the USA installed.  I had them all enabled.  It took me 15-20 minutes to just load a flight and Go Fly.  I started studying this program called the Scenery Config Editor v1.1.  It allows you to disable/enable any scenery you want BEFORE you start up FSX.  So, if I'm flying from Chicago to St Louis, I'll disable all of my MegaSceneryEarth except for the airports for KORD and KSTL and enable the States of Illinois, Missouri, Iowa, and Indiana and maybe Wisconsin (you can see the states of Iowa, Indiana, and Wisconsin at altitude even though you will not be flying over them).  In the Scenery Config Editor I can save the scenery configuration as KORD_KSTL_Scenery.  I also have to save the configuration too so the changes can be made to the working Scenery.cfg.  Startup time is now down to maybe two minutes at the most.  I don't have to save a scenery configuration and just set up the States I'll be flying over, save the configuration to the FSX Scenery.cfg and go fly but this way I can call up any flight I have set up and the configuration will instantly show up in the Scenery Config Editor.  I then save it to the Scenery.cfg and go fly.  May sound complicated but it really is a simply process (and it works!).

Best regards,

Jim

"I had them all enabled.  It took me 15-20 minutes to just load a flight and Go Fly"

OMG! that would kill FSX for me. Never shall I complain about my 3 min load time again.....

ZORAN

Load the sim and fly, if it takes a few minutes to load, plan accordingly and do something else while you wait.

regards,

Joe

I agree with this, start the sim, then while the sim is loading in you do your preflight work. When you're done with the preflight the sim has already loaded

vatsim s3

1133704.png

OMG! that would kill FSX for me. Never shall I complain about my 3 min load time again.....

I agree!  I remember it taking less than 10 seconds to load when I first installed FSX/Acceleration.  Then I started adding scenery.....  I'm happy I found the solution.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Thanks for sharing that software Jim, I'd not heard of that one.

I'm in a similar situation with photoscenery, so going to look at picking up Scenery Config Editor v1.1

Hey Jim,  do you use the custom groups you can set up?  I have but always find after about every other flight SGE loses all the custom groups I set up.  :mad:  Then I have to use the back-up restore.  Then every so often even that gets lost and there is no back-up anymore! :angry: :angry:  This is using it in Prepar3d btw.

Gave up using the custom groups option, but agree it is  simple tool to activate/deactivate before loading the sim.

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Hey Jim, do you use the custom groups you can set up?

I do not use the Custom Groups.  I looked at it though and couldn't get it to work so I simply went to File>Save as... then named the scenery with the flight plan as the identifier.  My issue has been not saving the scenery.cfg after I save the flight plan scenery config.  I've only save 3 flights so far and it is working well.  All the plans are being saved in the same folder as the working Scenery.cfg so perhaps that's where the Groups were saved too?

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM

Mega Scenery I only use the bordering states I fly if flying Iowa it's MN, WI if CO its UT and NM. Just check the ones I am using mostly.

I did some rearranging of all of my MegaScenery in the Scenery Config Editor (placed the States in alphabetical order).  I see I'm going to have to resave the Scenery Configs I set up earlier based on a flight plan as when I load the flightplan config up in the Scenery Config Editor, the scenery.cfg is the same arrangement as when I initially saved the plan (i.e., without the States in alpha order or any subsequent addons).  It will still work as I'm still loading only the scenery but I'm a neatness freak and don't want to get things confused. 

I still say this is the best solution for the OP especially if you have a lot of scenery installed.

Best regards,

Jim

Submit News to AVSIM