Sign in to follow this  
signmanbob

Gate Assignments for FSXdb.com

Hello,

http://fsxdb.com/ (FSX Database) is interested in providing airline gate assignments for their airport database service.  This would give the user knowledge of which gates to start and end a flight at with the livery of the carrier they choose to fly.  So if you start a flight at say, Atlanta as Delta, you would know which gates Delta uses and which gates Delta would be using at your destination airport.

They would like to know where this information can be acquired to build into their database.

Does anyone have an idea of where this kind of information can be gathered?

Quote from FSXdb.com:

Hum? I would need to look at the database. I basically use PlanG's database as the basis for this apps database. Not sure carrier, apt, gate assignments in the actual fsx data. It would be possible to integrate this data but where would I get this data? Maybe you can assist. All I would need is ICAO Code, Carrier, Gate Type, Gate No.

Thank you,

Bob

There is an app for the iphone called Flightboard which shows what the departure and arrival boards of an airport are showing in realtime.  From that you should be able to get a sense of what to assign the gates pretty easily.

It is difficult to gather this information, considering that FSX was released in 2006 and many gate assignments have since changed at many airports today. When FSX was released we were going into a recession and airlines and airports have made many changes to their operations. People update some airports to premium airports that would have different gates then the original FSX scenery and still use default on other airports.

So if a project like this is current, it won't match the original FSX scenery, and many people update their FSX with third party scenery in some areas and not all areas. It would be useful to show gate assignments in Default scenery as well as some of the popular third party addon's, but like I said, would take a lot of work.

I make my own database for the airports I frequently fly in and out of gathering the information from various sources, Wikipedia, the airports departure and arrivals board on the internet, or flight aware. Then save my flight plans and gate info on a spreadsheet. Most of my flying is Air New Zealand, QANTAS, and Virgin around Australia and New Zealand using ORBX scenery, so I save gate information for these airlines and major airports in this region, but not all the gate information for everything, just what I need only for the scenery that I use.

Cheers

Matthew Kane