Sign in to follow this  
Sesquashtoo

When Subtle is a substitute word for...amazing!

Tonight, I was prepping for a flight out of Toronto City Centre (CYTZ) in the Eclipse 550 turbo-fan jet.  I entered my flight plan, got my clearance to taxi, and started to follow the taxi assist arrows to runway 33.  I have custom scenery installed for this airport, so have static aircraft at the gates, Porter's Dash series, etc.

Well,  when passing the Porter Airlines turbo-prop, I decided to look at the aircraft, and to my utter amazement and delight, the pole mounted argon spot lamps in clusters of four per pole, not only shone down upon the entire scene, BUT...as I passed the fuselage, they INTERACTED with the shine and metallic finish of the aircraft. The 'glow off of the metal changed in regards to my viewing angle, as would have in RL!  Night time operations are simply outstanding and the most real in view of what you would see, and expect...that this alone would be a reason to purchase and use this flight simulator.  There are such low-level and subtle details to realism that I am finding each and every day that I use and enjoy XPX.  I mean...wow...night lighting interacting with custom scenery STATIC aircraft as well as other buildings. I have never seen this effect in FSX.  It sure made me do a double-take!

Wow.....

Mitch 

Something new pops-up every day in X-Plane. It never ceases to amaze me. Thanks for sharing your experiences and thoughts Mitch.

Strangely, and specially now that my HD is getting filled with OSM and Z16 scenery areas, I have HDR on, most settings near max, and FPS was never so high? I believe the new Nvidia drivers, which had caused already a significant improvement in DCS, have an even better outcome with X-Plane10.21 :-)

Everything is smooth and crisp!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Night time operations are simply outstanding and the most real in view of what you would see, and expect...

Yes, night time operations are awesome, but I still prefer flying during the day. I think Wow each time I see the moving shadows for every knob and circuit breaker in my cockpit, when I see the reflections of my yoke on the glass of the instruments, when thanks to detailed photo sceneries and OpenStreetMap objects I can recognize every village or road or power-line, and when I can see the shadows of the clouds on the ground or on my plane.

mo11-th.jpg mo12-th.jpg mo13-th.jpg

mo14-th.jpg mo15-th.jpg mo16-th.jpg

Happy flying ! B)

This sim is amazing at times, isn't it. I remember the first time I came into land at night in my newly bought Cessna at one of the freeware airports, the lights from a passing car actually lit up my cockpit!!!

I nearly fell off my seat.

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

This sim is amazing at times, isn't it. I remember the first time I came into land at night in my newly bought Cessna at one of the freeware airports, the lights from a passing car actually lit up my cockpit!!!

Yep, its crazy. XP has come so far.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Yes, night time operations are awesome, but I still prefer flying during the day. I think Wow each time I see the moving shadows for every knob and circuit breaker in my cockpit, when I see the reflections of my yoke on the glass of the instruments, when thanks to detailed photo sceneries and OpenStreetMap objects I can recognize every village or road or power-line, and when I can see the shadows of the clouds on the ground or on my plane.

mo11-th.jpg mo12-th.jpg mo13-th.jpg

mo14-th.jpg mo15-th.jpg mo16-th.jpg

Happy flying ! B)

I absolutely '+1' every example of your reply.  Day or night, this simulator is a sheer win!

Mitch

You're kidding!??!?!?   That effect is coded in?!?!?   Jeez......

I absolutely '+1' every example of your reply.  Day or night, this simulator is a sheer win!

Mitch

You're kidding!??!?!?   That effect is coded in?!?!?   Jeez......

The lighting in many respects is 'for free' and opengl takes care of a lot of it.