I was wondering whether these subsidiary programs could be profitably 'farmed off' to the other 6 cores of the AMD FX- 8350 cpu.

I already answered that.

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

I've been using the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme cooler which looks very similar to yours. I've never had a problem with the voltage at 1.36 and boost clock at 4.6Ghz. Temps around 55C at full load.

You should be all set for 4Ghz and above. Just go forward in small steps and check your temps while loading the CPU.

Thanks cap'n..

The wonderful respondents have not answered my specific requests. :wacko: 

This just goes to show that people these days do not listen, or read, correctly. Rather they interpret what they think the author is saying and threads go off at a tangent.

If you come to a public forum asking for advice, and you get advice, why not listen to it. If you are so stuck on what you are going to get, then get it, and report back with the results. It seems that your questions have been answered, and so what more do you want answered?

Windows should handle the spreading of processes across the cores of your CPU pretty well.

You can always set the affinities yourself though. I've tried that but honestly never noticed much difference from letting Windows decide.

That's right. I was using AMD XII Athlon and having the issue you mentioned above. One of the many reasons migrating to intel 15 is because I really love the HD clouds. :)

There's another thing I just learned.  I've always thought clouds were handled entirely by gpu.  I'd love to use HD clouds in heavy weather while keeping fps high.  I am planning a PC upgrade in the next year or two and I will be looking at a 2500k or 2600k. 

Thanks.

I'm using and old amd 64 x2 6400. It's not great, but can't afford upgrade.

My fs9 uses both cores, (I have 9.1 upgrade)?? Actually maxes both cores

So, if fs9 is single core, how come it uses both and could this info be useful to the original poster??

Go for a Haswell I5 4670K , iam a owner of FX8350 and Intel 4770k,4670k,3770k,2700k,4960X.

First SandyBridge ar Not faster than Haswell, 4.2ghz 4770kl is slighty faster than a 5.0ghz 2700k in Fs9 and FSX.

4770K at 4.5ghz is 75% faster than a FX8350 at 5.0ghz in Fs9 and FSX.

I'm using and old amd 64 x2 6400. It's not great, but can't afford upgrade.

My fs9 uses both cores, (I have 9.1 upgrade)?? Actually maxes both cores

So, if fs9 is single core, how come it uses both and could this info be useful to the original poster??

FS9 does NOT use multiple cores - only FSX SP1+ does. I imagine you have installed a core affinity program that splits the work 50/50 between the cores. That does little except reducing your process caches' effectiveness.

Cheers!

Luke

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

It would seem that the OP really only wants to hear that an AMD chip is a better choice than Intel.

AMD is his choice based on cost only and he wants that choice validating by someone.

It would not matter if a hundred Avsim users recommend Intel, he does not want to hear that.

Not being funny mate, but I know my PC, had it long enough and considering its a fresh install with only the 9.1 upgrade and the large file upgrade added to it at this point, I disagree and would happily post images of my processor use, nay a damd video if you like??

Just wanted to add info to the forum and maybe get some USEFUL feedback to explain why it is as it is, because I do not know why it uses BOTH CORES.

See other posts, trying to find the answer

Peter