Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

I'll definitely need a 1TB disk :-/

And it was just the Iberian Peninsula! And just at Z16!!!

But guys, I just did a small flight around LPSO, where I have flown the gliders from lately, and WHOW!!!! It's ALL THERE LIKE IN RL!!!!!

(Even if sometimes, from low alt, it looks like FIVE has been landing her A380 allover... :-/  )

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

What are you guys talking about?  photo real sceneries in X-Plane 10?

Vu Pham

i7-10700K 5.2 GHz OC, 64 GB RAM, GTX4070Ti, SSD for Sim, SSD for system. MSFS2020

And it was just the Iberian Peninsula! And just at Z16!!!

But guys, I just did a small flight around LPSO, where I have flown the gliders from lately, and WHOW!!!! It's ALL THERE LIKE IN RL!!!!!

(Even if sometimes, from low alt, it looks like FIVE has been landing her A380 allover... :-/  )

A 1 TB WD Velociraptor, is what I put into my system 2 months ago.  FAST.....quiet, and built for enterprise/server...5 year warranty. 10,000 rpm.

@Sesquashtoo: Thx for the hint... ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

@Sesquashtoo: Thx for the hint... ;-)

No problem!  It replaced a Velociraptor 300 GB...I had no room to load XPX. So, now, primary is the 1TB, and secondary is the 300 GB.  Both have excellent input/output and run performance.  You won't go wrong....

I have a 2TB Internal for everything and a 1TB USB 3.0 External for Backups of XP10 and other stuff.

Is it possible at all to split XP over 2 drives ?? or does it have to be all on the same drive ??

I have it at the moment on a 256 gb SSD with the Win7 os on a Velociraptor 500gb hard drive along with FSX.

Trevor Golding

http://www.howtogeek.com/98195/how-to-mount-a-hard-drive-as-a-folder-on-your-windows-pc/

You could have a drive for the Custom Scenery, another one for ... :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Is it possible at all to split XP over 2 drives ?? or does it have to be all on the same drive ??

I have it at the moment on a 256 gb SSD with the Win7 os on a Velociraptor 500gb hard drive along with FSX.

XP10 is all in 1 Folder that you can copy anywhere and still use it.  I have 4 Copies of xp10 with different setups.  All bought payware is ususally just a .zip file you need to unzip into the right directory in the XP10 folder.  Even if a payware comes with an .exe file, it all unzips into the xp10 folder with no registry entries or other files in your system.  ALL NICE AND CLEAN IN ONE FOLDER :good:

Ta jcomm, bit more complicated than what I had hoped for. B)

Five by Five, Agreed nice all in one folder but the folder is going to be bigger than the hard drives....Eventually, esp when you lot keep saying this is good that is good   :lol:

Trevor Golding

Disclaimer - Use at your own risk.  Back up your entire X-Plane folder somewhere safe. That said, I've used this method safely and successfully to organize a huge library of photoscenery for FSX on multiple physical hard drives.

----~----

You should be able to do this with symbolic links / junctions in Windows. This will allow you to place a folder (or folders) found within the X-Plane directory onto different hard drives, and X-Plane will still think it's right where it needs to be and work just fine.

I'll use the example that you'd like to move the "Custom Scenery" folder out of it's default location and onto another drive.  You've installed X-Plane on your C: drive, and you installed a new X: drive to offload the data to. Bear in mind you will need to adjust the directory paths with the ones you're actually using and interested in changing rather than the ones I've selected for the example.

Step Zero: Back up your entire X-Plane directory somewhere safe. As always!

Step One: Move the existing contents of the C:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery to X:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery

Step Two: Delete the now empty C:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery directory.

Step Three: Open an elevated command prompt (Run as admin), and issue the command...

mklink /J C:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery  X:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery

This runs the mklink utilty... it creates a junction point folder at "C:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery", which is actually pointed at "X:\X-Plane\Custom Scenery".  X-Plane still looks to the C: drive for its custom scenery, but the operating system plays some tricks and redirects the traffic to the X: drive location.

Step Four: Now you see a "new" Custom Scenery folder existing inside the original C:\X-Plane directory - that's your junction! The contents of which actually exist on the X: drive. Remember your computer now has two places where you see the same files - the folder on the C: drive, and the folder on the X: drive. You can add/change/delete files from either instance - it's one folder with two "entry points", so to speak.

Reversal: To reverse this change, you can safely delete the junction point you created in the C: drive side (It only deletes the junction, not the data within), then just move the actual data on the X: drive back to it's original home.

You can use this trick to move and link to any folder inside of X-Plane - be it the Custom Scenery, Global Scenery, Aircraft... etc.etc.

There are 3rd party tools which can also help with the process if you need.

Good luck!

-Greg

Thanks Greg,

Copied and printed for future reference..

Trevor Golding