Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

One question before I buy

Guest Mik75

Hi there!

After I watched many videos on YouTube I am really amazed by the quality and functionality of this addon. The speech recognition (especially in conjunction with ATC addons) blew me away! ;-)

Here is my question:

The MCE homepage states that the product is interfacing with several addon aircraft, such as the AXE, the Coolsky DC-9, the Qualitywings Avro and (soon to come) the MJC Q400.

That being said, do I need to set something up in order to get realistic checklists and workflows, or are these things predefined?

Thanks a lot in advance for clarification!

Hello Mik,

No you don't need to set anything up. The program recognises what aircraft you have loaded and it will give you access to its checklists and flows if it is supported.

Better still, if it is supported, you can modify or create flows yourself to suit your style of flying or just tell the First officer what to do with voice commands with no flows, you are in complete control.

Can't wait for the Q400 support!

Guest Mik75

Hello Mik,

No you don't need to set anything up. The program recognises what aircraft you have loaded and it will give you access to its checklists and flows if it is supported.

Better still, if it is supported, you can modify or create flows yourself to suit your style of flying or just tell the First officer what to do with voice commands with no flows, you are in complete control.

Can't wait for the Q400 support!

Thanks for the answer!

I downloaded and installed the demo version. Setting it up and getting it to interface with Radar Contact 4 was no problem at all.

Here is my set up:

FSX and MCE on main machine. Aircraft and environmental sounds come through my speakers. MCE voices come through my USB headset, plugged into the FSX machine.

RC4 is installed on my laptop (using WideFS)

ATC sound come through the laptop's speakers.

That sounds really good and immersive. The problem is, that every word, RC4 is putting out, is being picked up by the voice recognition of MCE. So my F/O makes it very hard to understand the ATC commands.

Any ideas in getting that solved are highly appreciated!

Any ideas...

If you were using a 3.5 mm connector, I wonder if something like a jack splitter might work?    Have your headphones provide input from both MCE on your main machine, and from RC4 on your laptop at the same time.   I don't know, however, if you could do something similar with a USB headset.

Guest Mik75

Any ideas...

If you were using a 3.5 mm connector, I wonder if something like a jack splitter might work? Have your headphones provide input from both MCE on your main machine, and from RC4 on your laptop at the same time. I don't know, however, if you could do something similar with a USB headset.

Thanks for answer! I already considered something similar (with analog connections). But I want to have the aircraft and environmental sounds on my speaker set.

I think, I'll try a better headset with noise cancelling microphone. I already started another thread, asking for suggestions, on the hardware forum.

Thanks for answer! I already considered something similar (with analog connections). But I want to have the aircraft and environmental sounds on my speaker set.

I think, I'll try a better headset with noise cancelling microphone. I already started another thread, asking for suggestions, on the hardware forum.

One way of doing it, and it may not be an elegant solution, would be to squeeze tiny Walkman style earphones (fed from the Networked machine) into the USB headphones

Guest Mik75

One way of doing it, and it may not be an elegant solution, would be to squeeze tiny Walkman style earphones (fed from the Networked machine) into the USB headphones

Yes, unfortunately that's not to comfortable. I hate these wires and all the things to wear: headset, Track Ir hat...

I think, I'll go for a wireless headset with n/c mic and I'll attach the Track Ir clip to it. That way, it should work.

By putting the mic of my cheap headset as close as possible to my mouth and turning the ATC volume slightly down, I already achieve good results...

Btw, I bought your fantastic piece of software. It's really amazing, and so versatile!

Yes, unfortunately that's not to comfortable. I hate these wires and all the things to wear: headset, Track Ir hat...

I think, I'll go for a wireless headset with n/c mic and I'll attach the Track Ir clip to it. That way, it should work.

By putting the mic of my cheap headset as close as possible to my mouth and turning the ATC volume slightly down, I already achieve good results...

Btw, I bought your fantastic piece of software. It's really amazing, and so versatile!

Thank you for your kind words Michael.

As for the wireless headset, you may want to think hard before going that route as they have their issues too. The signal has to be reliable, battery charge monitored, and they tend to often go to sleep in order to save on the battery life.

Maybe worth considering if you don't have other wireless devices (keyboard, mouse, joystick) operating in the same frequency range, or at least not many of them, otherwise expect some interference.

Not putting you off, because it does work. Suggest you start a specific thread for feedback on wireless headsets in the context of speech recognition.

Guest Mik75

Thank you for your kind words Michael.

As for the wireless headset, you may want to think hard before going that route as they have their issues too. The signal has to be reliable, battery charge monitored, and they tend to often go to sleep in order to save on the battery life.

Maybe worth considering if you don't have other wireless devices (keyboard, mouse, joystick) operating in the same frequency range, or at least not many of them, otherwise expect some interference.

Not putting you off, because it does work. Suggest you start a specific thread for feedback on wireless headsets in the context of speech recognition.

I use a wireless Logitech-Mouse, everything else is wired. That shouldn't cause any problems, I hope... ;-)

Do you have a suggestion for a high quality headset, wired or wireless?

There is another solution (that I have been using for many months with MCE, with great success):

A good quality web camera - or to be more precise, its microphone.

I have been using a Microsoft HD web camera, with a noise-cancelling microphone, with great results. The camera is pointed towards my mouth, sitting on the desk, about 1-1.2m away from me.

You have nothing on your head, and no wires around it to limit its movement.

Guest Mik75

Interesting idea! Thanks a lot for your input! I think, I'll give the Logitech G930 a try...