Sign in to follow this  
FIVE-BY-FIVE

FS Global Real Weather coming to XPLANE 10

One thing: please remember, that the X-Plane devs (especially Ben Supnik) are definitely aware of the many different cloud rendering techniques out there (in the end, they ARE hard core 3D engine developers - with a deep insight in what is possible and what not). But they also know, that we do not want a "cloud simulator" but a "flight simulator"  B)  .... and the latter has a lot more things going on internally. So, they can't just throw everything on the cloud rendering ... but need to take care of a gazillion more things in the engine (and also - halfway - balance the available hardware resources ... and their development resources too). ... in the end, they are also eager the improve the cloud rendering (but in a way, which doesn't kills the sim around it!).

Is this project dead?

X-plane needs a good weather engine! :-)

I wonder why there is none...

Klaus Schmitzer

i7-14700KF 5.6GHz Water Cooled /// ZOTAC RTX 4070 TI Super 16GB /// 32GB RAM DDR5 /// Win11 /// SSDs only

DCS - XP12 - MSFS2020

Is this project dead?

X-plane needs a good weather engine! :-)

I wonder why there is none...

True, I hope the development team didn't abandon the project.

True, I hope the development team didn't abandon the project.

I hope the work is progressing well?

ww1459.png

I don't think this will happen for this version of X-plane.I shared a few words with one of the developers a few weeks back and they sated that  plane will have to change their weather architecture to be able to work with FS Global. 

Isn't that supposed to be happening soon?

I was under the impression that both the visibilty and weather would be getting a makeover.

Weather, as a whole, not only the visibility, is another league...

At present version the datarefs are clearly unsufficient to approach the quality available for FSX / P3D with products like FSGlobal, ASN, etc...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Weather, as a whole, not only the visibility, is another league...

At present version the datarefs are clearly unsufficient to approach the quality available for FSX / P3D with products like FSGlobal, ASN, etc...

You mean none of the dataref changes in 10.30 help improve the weather hooks / engine? *sigh* The weather in XP really is pisspoor and it's starting to get on my tits. Maybe time to have a look at P3D...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

You mean none of the dataref changes in 10.30 help improve the weather hooks / engine? *sigh* The weather in XP really is pisspoor and it's starting to get on my tits. Maybe time to have a look at P3D...

LOL P3D is another kettle of vipers (I love mixed metaphors).

I "look" at it frequently but eventually come running back to the arms of mama X-Plane warts and all.

Basically without the addons it's 2006 FSX with HDR and fancy shadows.

Add Orbx and a good weather engine and it's okay, but still looks a bit graphically stilted.

Mind you, flying X-Plane without Real Terra Haze (or other art control manipulators) can also look bland and boring.

But to go back to your original point, yes XP weather is a pile of doggy doo and does need a massive overhaul.

Basically without the addons it's 2006 FSX with HDR and fancy shadows.

Add Orbx and a good weather engine and it's okay, but still looks a bit graphically stilted.

Yes, the investment needed to make a switch worthwhile puts me off. That and LM being huge weapons dealers.

I guess abandoning XP just because of the weather would be a bit like throwing out the early bird with the bath water, to mix aome more metaphors...

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I had a bad start with XPX. Took me a while to find satisfaction. But meanwhile FSX is long gone, Prepared was installed but returnes and I love flying my XPX. Whenever I see screenshots of fellow simmers flying with ORBX add ons I'm still jealous but for me it's no way back. I have great add on planes, flying my Carenado fleet most of the times and I have a stable running sim working well on my old hardware. Remembering FSX with many add ons was a slight show or the ORBX scenery I payed for was turned down to get it running.

Yet,

FSX is still the regression line of flight simulation IMO.... Yes it's old, yes requires good investment in hardware, yes the same applies to what one has to spend in additional software, but still, after all this years, and not using it anymore, totally concentrated that I am on combat flightsims and aerowinx psx, I look back and around, measure up all experiences, and still think FSX is indeed a great, probably the most successful in covering simmers want's... flight simulation platform.

And that 32 vs 64 bit argument is so sterile... Just when I think of the super graphics and flight dynamics, living World, Weather rendering and effects, I get in my DX9, 32 bit IL2 BOS... So so far from what either XP10 and FSX can give in graphics, smoothness and flight dynamics, sounds, immersion, although each one has it's strong points too, FSX when good ( expensive ) add-ons are added to the pack, XP10 when the excellent work by Andras, Tony, Pilot Balu and many others are used ( for free!!! ).  It pretty much depends on the talent of those who write the code, on the optimization they build into it, IMO...

Sorry for braking the chain... again :-/

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Sorry for braking the chain... again :-/

Yeah, just like smoking, most of us here quit and moved over to this forum to find something new. X-Plane is not perfect but it sure beats the smoke and mirrors of the other one.

I wish people would stop coming in here to try to offer us cigarettes... :wink: