Sign in to follow this  
Noel

Case for GTX Titan + Cooler Master 212 Hyper EVO + PSS in the top back?

Looking for a good case for those parts which will also include an SB-E or IB-E processor.  Ideas?  I see the Corsairs all want to put the PSS in bottom, but I think I'd rather have it go up top?  I ask because I have an unused 750W PC Power & Cooling PSS w/ 50W 12v rail and I hope to use it too.  Since I"ve never put one together w/ PSS on the bottom I'm not certain the PSS will work seat in the bottom of these cases, but dunno really.

Many thanks in advance ;o)

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

Noel, "almost" all quality enclosures now have bottom mounted PSU's. It's been that way for some time now.

I presume you are concerned that the existing PSU that you wish to use, may not have long enough cables?

As you are going for very high quality components in your new build, you may wish to go for a new, higher wattage PSU. Theoretically, 750 watts is plenty, but personably. I would go for a new Corsair or Seasonic PSU that I knew was top quality, provided maximum efficiency, and was reliable.

Both of my last two builds have been with Corsair 850 Watt PSU's.

It is possible to go for an ATX extension cable, so that a bottom mounted PSU will reach, if the cables are short. However, I had a bad experience with one of those, so wouldn't recommend them. Better to go for a new PSU, as they have long cables these days.

Power Supply Units are always better at the bottom in my view. Case is less top heavy, you have the option to draw cool air from beneath the case into the PSU, or mount it facing up to help exhaust from the case.

Theoretically, 750 watts is plenty, but personably

Thank you Martin that is what I needed to know, i.e., my PSS should be OK as far as installation goes--the cables will be totally fine I'm sure.  As mentioned the PSS I have is brand new, very high quality PC Power & Cooling 750W w/ a 50 amp 12v rail.  I have always depended on the eXtreme PSS Calculator and when I put every device that will be in my new build the actual recommended minimum rating is 542w, recommended is 592w, and of course this includes overclocking.  To be honest from every calculator I've used (haha, 2 or 3) it appears people always overdo this piece.

I do have some good news though:  the G.SKILL ARES 2400Mhz 8gbx4 modules DO fit under the D-14.  MARTIN:  is it safe to assume if they sell these as a package they would work for quad channel?  They are about the only ones now that will fit under the D-14 at 2400Mhz.  As it turns out, the Hyper 212 EVO will conflict w/ the Dominator Platinum modules though one can as you mentioned offset mount the fans and deal w/ it that way.  I think the 212 offers enough less cooling than the D-14 esp for my overclocked hexacore CPU that I'd best stick w/ more aggressive cooling.  I was beginning to think I had to go w/ H110, but truly, I don't want to be bothered with the small leak risk, pump failures, etc.   

What I don't know about is a case that will accommodate the D-14 and maybe up to two Titans (ha!  won't buy another one I'm sure but it's nice to have room in case I go crazy--and would need the 850w or higher PSS for that, but alas as I say it's ultra doubtful i'd ever go there).   Do you have a sense on how WIDE the case must be to handle the big D-14?  Dang it I wish IB-E was out I'd love to put this behind me and enjoy some high performance!   As you and I have commented it's hardly going to make a difference (i.e. SB-E v IB-E) but if they put good TIM in I guess it will be worth the extra wait.  My current build is now 5.4 years old...but still works pretty dang good!

Parts so far.  Some $$ in this, but a lot cheaper than having someone put it together for me!

35-100-007-04.jpg
Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver Thermal Compound AS5-3.5G - OEM Item #: N82E16835100007 Return Policy: Consumable Item Refund Only Return Policy   -$4.00 Instant

20-231-674-11.jpg
G.SKILL Ares Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11Q-32GAB Item #: N82E16820231674 Return Policy: Memory Standard Return Policy  
13-131-802-09.jpg
ASUS Rampage IV Extreme LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Extended ATX Intel Motherboard Item #: N82E16813131802 Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy  
19-116-877-02.jpg
Intel Core i7-3970X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.5GHz (4.0GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 150W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73970X Item #: N82E16819116877 Return Policy: CPU Replacement Only Return Policy  
32-116-992-04.jpg
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM Item #: N82E16832116992 Return Policy: Software Standard Return Policy  
35-608-018-03.jpg
Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler Item #: N82E16835608018 Return Policy: Computer Cables and Accessories Extended Return Policy   -$17.00 Instant

20-147-187-04.jpg
SAMSUNG 840 Series MZ-7TD500KW 2.5" 500GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) Item #: N82E16820147187 Return Policy: Limited Replacement Only Return Policy   -$20.00 Instant

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

To be honest from every calculator I've used (haha, 2 or 3) it appears people always overdo this piece.

Yes, can't argue with you there.

MARTIN:  is it safe to assume if they sell these as a package they would work for quad channel?

Yes, always buy them as a quad channel kit. All together.

Do you have a sense on how WIDE the case must be to handle the big D-14?

My case is 210 mm wide, just a mid size case, and there's plenty of room for the D14.In fact there's still about 15 mm of space left between the cooler and side panel. Obviously it also depends how much room there is behind the back panel also.

Best bet is to decide on the case you like the look of, then check on the internet/Youtube to see how others are getting on with this case plus D14. Also check the dimensions on the Noctua website, and compare to the case dimensions on the manufacturers website.

The Obsidian 650D you mentioned fits the D14 fine. You may also want to check out the Coolermaster Storm Trooper. Stupid name, but the case is very good, gets great reviews.

650D Plus Noctua D14, loads of room, not cramped at all. See here...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZAhZsJaXf0

Dimensions about a third of the way down the page...

http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=faqs&step=2&products_id=34&lng=en

http://www.coolermaster-usa.com/landing/trooper/home.php

D14 fits in, loads of room...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WnHXU-OeXfk&NR=1&feature=endscreen

Worth remembering that your motherboard is an "extended" ATX board, so bear that in mind for the case.