Sign in to follow this  
MDF86

How to save a flight on final approach? (NGX)

Hi All

I'm trying to save a flight on short final so that I can practice disengaging the auto pilot at around 1000 ft AGL and practice putting the NGX down manually.

I set up a flight, established on the localiser and glideslope on an ILS approach at around 6 miles from the airport, and then saved the flight.

But when I reload the flight, I have to wait 20 secs for the NGX to become responsive and then it exhibits all kinds of strange behaviour, the first time I did it it veered some way off of the localiser course and then wanted to nose dive and picked up so much speed that I couldn't consider landing (ended up at around 250kt!)

So I'm guessing with advanced aircraft such as the NGX there are problems with saving and reloading flights? Or am I doing something wrong?

Just to be clear, before I saved the flight, I was in APP mode, with everything set up for an autoland. The autothrottle was active with a speed of 141kt dialled in, flaps 30, autobrakes armed etc.

Thanks!

The NGX flight loading and saving works perfectly. (I use those features mainly for T/O and CRZ flight situations; haven't tested with APP, though.)

As far as the initialization period is concerned: Why not saving a situation when you're one minute farther out?

I'm not sure whether or not this works with the NGX (or any complex airliner addon, for that matter), but you could try Lord of the Landings. This little freeware tool sets your aircraft to your preferred position at any airport (I think it's like 4, 8 or 12 miles out) and pauses the sim when the aircraft is in position. And after your landign you'll get some feedback about how good your landing was based on some values the program measures.

I'm not sure whether or not this works with the NGX (or any complex airliner addon, for that matter), but you could try Lord of the Landings. This little freeware tool sets your aircraft to your preferred position at any airport (I think it's like 4, 8 or 12 miles out) and pauses the sim when the aircraft is in position. And after your landign you'll get some feedback about how good your landing was based on some values the program measures.

Chances are, it can only 'reach' the SDK parameters, not the custom-coded A/P and FMC of the NGX.

Once more considering the OP's issue I think the plane is simply too close to the runway to have a chance to stabilize on the APP. One more reason to save a situation 1 or 2 minutes earlier.

Thanks all, will try saving it before capturing the localiser, might work better.

Chances are, it can only 'reach' the SDK parameters, not the custom-coded A/P and FMC of the NGX.

That's why I wrote that I'm not sure about it. The most "complex" thing I tried that with was the Carenado Malibu, so that's not really a reliable reference here.

I think that all LoLa does is setting the position of the aircraft - which might work even with complex (i.e. non-SDK) aircraft - as well as its speed - and there you could be right, this might be the problem...

If you want to practice landing manually then I suggest that you fly traffic patterns. It's going to give you better feel than when you just disconnect autopilot when you're stabilized 1000 feet agl

vatsim s3

1133704.png

If you want to practice landing manually then I suggest that you fly traffic patterns. It's going to give you better feel than when you just disconnect autopilot when you're stabilized 1000 feet agl

Wim

Sorry, can you please elaborate? I'm still learning and don't understand what you mean by flying traffic patterns.

Thanks

Martin

I have had similar problems with the NGX, but not as severe because I was at altitude, enroute. With that A/C, when it comes out of pause, it takes several seconds (in my case about 20-30) while the engines spool back up to speed. When I loaded the file and un-paused it, the plane had no power and immediately started to lose altitude. Then the thrust came back, and the A/P actually climbed the plane back to the assigned altitude. Don't know why, but pausing these complex aircraft does NOT un-pause them in the exact same state.

As others have suggested, either save your flight a bit further out, or get something like that Lord of the Landings (I'm off to check that out myself) to help you out.

Addendum: LOLA might give you the same results. I downloaded it and will give it a try, but it seems to be a little more fancy style of pause. The NGX might not load up any better with it, but it's worth a try.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Saving when paused still requires the NGX to initialize after loading and unpausing. Initialization is related to loading the aircraft into the sim at all rather than loading a flight scenario/situation.

May not be valid, but it seems I have less issues with other (complex) aircraft when saving non-paused as compared to saving paused situations.