Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dakota

FSGenesis new road, streams, rails, utilities.

Guest Fsfreeware

being working on some areas photorealistic terrains - at high resolutions - with flight 1 Usa roads - installed and high res usgs orthoimages - on top - of usa roads package -i can assure you - if usa roads do match the orthoimages as it does - the product is of high quality - as high res orthoimages do not miss a single roads - and do not misposition a single road - as the orthoimages are positioned into the simulator with great care - and precision - i assure you that usa roads - match perfectly the high res orthoimages - and also do not miss a single road - taking this in consideration and not knowing that any other product can produce such kind of accuracy - - i like flight 1 usa roads - and i keep it installed - is a great product and also a very very precise product !!see picture attached to see it yourself.why change flight 1 usa roads for another package?? When you already have Usa Roads - - and nice Usa Roads!!rayhttp://forums.avsim.net/user_files/94573.jpg

That photomesh pic is what FS10 needs to ship with!

Eric 

>Specifically I am referring to the flattening as MUCH more>realistic.And what about "realistic" flattening? Are you implying USA Roads float in the air in some places? Never saw a single example of that even in highest mountains.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)

Ah, I see, Michael. I am not being clear. The danger of being too close to something for too long, perhaps.USA roads follow the contour of the land, so if the slope is 45 degrees on the side of a hill, a roadbed that follows the edge of that hill, will also be at 45 degrees, in other words look painted on the side of the hill, and tilted.MSFS has a flattening function, which default major roads use, that "cuts and fills" to some degree. It fills in hollows, cuts chunks out of the hills to try and flatten the roadbed. USA Roads does not use this function, while American Data does. So in the above example, the roadbed would be flat.It would help if you could post an example of USA roads, so we can compare. Would you be willing to take a screenshot from the same vantage point as the image below with your USA Roads? Coordinates:N20* 52.52 W156* 9.86 Alt 2198 Heading 171. Mid-day.Jon

Hi all.For owners of USARoads that still want to use those roads, you'll be able to use them, along with the streams and raillines of the FSGenesis product. ( Bridges as well???? )The entire US waterpoly and coastlines are scheduled for near the end of the year by Marcus and FSGenesis.--------------------------------Meanwhile, the developers of USARoads are also planning to release water polys, streams, coastlines.... somewhere in the future, as well as other countries as data becomes available/affordable.So there is a lot of choice coming in the future.The placement accuracy of these products is about the same.Dick

Hey Dick, my experience with accuracy of roads is that US Roads is extremely accurate, while American data is +/- 50m. So in some areas it's just as accurate, in others it's off a bit. If you don't compare to photoreal scenery, you may not notice any errors. American data is plenty accurate enough for my personal taste in the many areas I've flown in, but folks that want extreme precision take note. That's one reason the price is so good for this product.Jon

Hi Jon.The base data for both products is the US TIGER data set. But, USARoads is data purchased from as GPS data supplier, and the TIGER data was verified, or changed, as needed. The story I remember was that a few guys in autombiles traveled around the country with a GPS unit to test the data. Depending on the number of beers consumed by these guys the night before, the data should be more accurate. :)Dick

Great story, Dick. :D Thanks for the clarification.Jon

Guest _patrol_

"The entire US waterpoly and coastlines are scheduled for near the end of the year by Marcus and FSGenesis"Can hardly wait for this one! If it's done well it will be one of the greatest addons for FS9. I live on the coast so I'm a little prejudiced, but I have USARoads and now my house is located in a cove, as opposed to on a hill above the cove.David

Guest Mike707

Very interesting discussion on the benefits of both USA roads and the FS Genesis product.One thing to keep in mind. Both of these products will be updated as time moves on. I think that is great. Just imagine where we would be in the graphic card arena if ATI and Nvidia weren't always trying to upstage eachother. Both products look very good. I can't wait to see what comes from future development.

Hey, it occured to me I could demonstrate flattening by simply turning it off in American Roads. Here's the same image with no stream or road flattening, and a side be side comparison, sort of.Jon

>The base data for both products is the US TIGER data set. WRONG !USA Roads are not based on US Tiger. Better dig into old posts that explain the whole story. Tiger data only represents roads as lines USA Roads is based on full 2-dimensional set therefore their freeway intersections/ramps look like in real life (they are wider, narrower where needed, have dividers, etc).Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)

Hi Michael.Does USARoads use the TIGER data set? They use a commercial dataset originally derived from TIGER data, or it's precursor, USGS data. As I explained it was physically validated/corrected by guys in cars with GPS units. Allen never divulged to me the name of the vendor. This is true of nearly all US data sets... they derive originally from the Tiger, or the USGS, which is the orginal basis for the TIGER. Whether Garmin, DeLorme, or whoever the commercial vendor is, the original source always leads back to the US government at some point in it's history. And currently, the standard source is the TIGER set.Should Allen give us the name of the vendor, we could ask them for the history of their source data to verify this, absolutely. But I can't figure out why any of this would matter.I think users can agree, Allen's choice of data was a good decision. It does appear to be a superior set than the raw TIGER road data. It also added to the retail cost of USARoads, which explains why it's introductory cost was more than the cost of Markus' American Data will be introduced. Markus could also have spent some extra cash on more detailed data for American Data, but instead sought to pass the savings onto the enduser. I consider that, also, a good decision.Neither set looks like real life. They both look like VTP2 lines, as Ray explained in his above comment.Dick

>Neither set looks like real life. They both look like VTP2>lines, as Ray explained in his above comment.I know how USA Roads look - they are NOT just lines. They have ramps, dividers, etc. Flight1 paid a lot of money for this data. I don't know how the other set looks (some compare photo could told us the story) but I suspect as in real life - you get what you paid for.Found this quote from Flight1:Free TIGER data is not used. It is not accurate enough. We are using very expensive Mapping data (more info on this coming). TIGER for example does not show each side of a divided highway. The data for this product will handle each side of a divided highway, so they will look very realistic.Michael J.WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)