Sign in to follow this  
Guest Dakota

FSGenesis new road, streams, rails, utilities.

Guest Gdavis101

Tried again, and still doesn't work.. Same error message..

HiMake sure you post this to the AD Support forum over at FSGenesis, so Markus is sure to see it. I'm sure he can help you get to the bottom of it. He usually checks in very early in the morning from Germany.-------Justinhttp://www.fsgenesis.netHigh Quality Scenery for FS200x

Justin - Toposim

http://www.toposim.net

Guest wathomas777

When developing your shoreline product, you may want to look at some of the challenges faced by Justin and Company by looking at the Hawaii 10m DEM product they have.Hawaii is now rendered with accurate shorelines, and looks fabulous with your product, USA Roads.However, like all enhancements, (mesh, roads, shorelines, etc.) Greater accuracy in one area makes for scenery anomolies in another.Justin had to go to great pains to hand move buildings that now appeared "off shore" due to repainting the shorelines. In hawaii, even John Rodgers field (formerlly Barbers Point NAS) had to be relocated due to two of the runways sticking noticably out into the ocean.In Waikiki, all of the "beach" hotels, are now located firmly inland behind the Ala Wai canal.Also, many "freeware" scenery enhancements no longer work.Justin admits he still has a lot of work to make Hawaii look the way he wants to, and with a shoreline project that only covers a few small islands, I imagine a nationwide shoreline project will be similiarly challenging. Specifically in coastal areas such as Miami, Cape Canaveral, New York, Seattle, Los Angeles, and a myriad of other cities that are coastal to a major body of water.I am not discouraging you from your project, but merely pointing out the number of difficulties that FSGenesis had in releasing the accurate shorelines for Hawaii. The challenges FSGenesis faced in that project will be miniscule compared to what you (and Justin) face in a shorelines project.I am not being overcritical, but I have found that many enhancements which greatly enhance the realism in one area often highlights the deficiencies noted in another area. Which, you have gotten a taste of already with the release of USA roads.Please keep this in mind, and hopefully you guys can perhaps build in a feature that allows the user to keep default shorelines in major urban areas. I don't know if it is possible, but seeing a building 3 miles off shore has been more disturbing to me in the past than failing to realize that the actual shoreline is not exactly as I remember it.I humbly ask that both FSGenesis and Scenery Solutions build in enough customization features to allow me to maximize their accuracy in areas where there is little impact on the "immersion factor" of the sim, and then choose to settle for less detail in areas in which the accuracy of the product may cause more problems than it solves.

Very well said, Will. Perfect shorelines but imperfect building locations like the Waikiki area do not satisfy me. A correction of at least the default building locations should come together with any shoreline product and not "maybe later .." I have reported the problem time ago to the bug tracker and forum at FSGenesis but sofar there is no reaction from Justin. He might be too busy with new products. (I was interested in getting their Galaxy Membership but I will wait and see what brings the near future).For the moment my choice was to disable Hawaii shorelines ... a pity for a good payware program.Peter

Guest wathomas777

I wouldn't be too hard on Justin,He has said in other threads, that he is working on Waikiki but that his first priority is mesh. He has also mentioned that Hawaii is a work in progress. He has already done a lot of work to replace buildings that stick out into the ocean. Remember, these buildings are all hand placed by Microsoft, and as such need to be each hand moved.To expect a developer to do that manually is asking a bit much, especially for the price of the addon.I hope Microsoft chooses to use more accurate data in the future, so that this is less of a problem. In the meantime, I have chosen to go with a mix of "realism vs. accuracy". The American Data product allows me to not have roads cross water, so I only see the default hand placed bridges. This is fine for now.

Guest in_04

>Very well said, Will. Perfect shorelines but imperfect>building locations like the Waikiki area do not satisfy me. A>correction of at least the default building locations should>come together with any shoreline product and not "maybe later>.." >I have reported the problem time ago to the bug tracker and>forum at FSGenesis but sofar there is no reaction from Justin.>He might be too busy with new products. (I was interested in>getting their Galaxy Membership but I will wait and see what>brings the near future).>For the moment my choice was to disable Hawaii shorelines ...>a pity for a good payware program.>PeterHi Peter,like explained befor, the hand placed objects are a problem for every addon developer. I guess that no shoreline, lakes product will include a fix for that.To place the objects you must first know the real position (isn't always a easy task) and than find the file where they are and change the position. Like you could guess this is procedure which take much time.Problem with FS9 is that Microsoft didn't use good data. They use very old inacurate data for positioning and place objects by hand to make them locking godd with bad data. Best example is the Golden Gate Bridge. It's missplaced and fixed with a park patch to make it loock good :(The Galaxy Membership is worth every cent, alone for the high quality mesh data Justin made. Remember you get the whole world in 78 meter resolution and other parts up to 9.6 meters. I don't know a place where you get that much mesh data for this price.This message is my personal opinion and doesen't be invluenced by the partnership with FSGenesis.

Hi Will and Markus,there was no intention to be too hard with Justin and I undersand also the issue. It is also clear to me that at the origin are Microsoft's unprecise data. I just wanted to point out my view. If the Hawaii scenery is WIP by FSGenesis, maybe for the time being until it is complete, an exclude file could be made available that brings up again the original (unprecise) Waikiki area while leaving the rest of the shorelines installed.Again, just a thought or better, a suggestion, no attack.Markus, as so many Simmers are happy with FSGenesis products I assume they must be absolutely valid, and I guess I will subscribe for Galaxy membership in the next days.Keine Sorge, ich habe Deine Info nicht als versteckte Reklame aufgefasst.Thanks and CiaoPeter

Guest Fsfreeware

Markus:Remember you get the whole world in 78 meter resolution and other parts up to 9.6 meters. I don't know a place where you get that much mesh data for this price.There are many other places where you can get same at same price!Fsglobalmapserversimmarket - myworldthey all provide srtm 76.4 m and usa high res terrains at same price a fsg - if not a less price - many also have provide 38.2 - 19.2 m and 9.8 m terrains for usa - for Free - and none of those authors who basically provide the community free scenery - never get mentioned - - a strange world !ray

Guest in_04

>Markus:>>Remember you get the whole world in 78 meter resolution and>other parts up to 9.6 meters. I don't know a place where you>get that much mesh data for this price.>>There are many other places where you can get same at same>price!>>Fsglobal>mapserver>simmarket - myworld>>they all provide srtm 76.4 m and usa high res terrains at same>price a fsg - if not a less price - >>many also have provide 38.2 - 19.2 m and 9.8 m terrains for>usa - for Free - and none of those authors who basically>provide the community free scenery - never get mentioned - - a>strange world !>>rayHi ray,I have a Galaxy Membership since my days of FS2002 and this is a lifetime membership which gives me free CD's too. I have no broadband internet connection, so I need the CD's and I doupt that any other site offer this for $150 your whole life?Your right, there other out there NOW, at the time I made my decission there was no one offer such a deal. I'm still think the Membership was the best product I ever bought for the Flightsimulator.

Guest Fsfreeware

there is nothing that guarantee you will get cd for the rest of your days from fsg - as there is nothing that guarantee you will not get.nowadays you can get the same mesh for half the price of a fsg membership and on cd - and that is a fact - and for those who are on broadband - usa is a completely free download - as many other areas of the world - and i say FREE!!things have moved since fs2002 - i do not want to take aways anything from anybody - but when the facts are different than what you present - than correction is needed.sobyeray

Guest wathomas777

You are correct. However, many of us pay for the convenience of having either the CD's provided, or finding all of our mesh in a single area.The freeware available does not include free updates. Justin's files do. Yes, much of the US is available in 38m. Thanks again to FSGenesis, who provided them for free to AVSIM.The payware files include the CD option, support for future updates, and an easier install due to only having to download a single file and letting an installer install the package.Many things are 'free' if you are willing to do the work and research. But in the case of scenery, sometimes it's not just the content.I bought Ultimate Traffic, because it was worth the 30 dollars to get worldwide traffic without having to do a lot of work manually by individually downloading airplanes, flightplans, AFCAD files, and the like.I buy Justin's scenery, because I know it is of high quality, he provides excellent support, and I have one place to get the mesh products I desire.sometimes "time" is money. And the time I have saved being able to utilize Justin's products, vice having to search countless libraries looking for individaul patches of mesh to quilt together, is well worth the small amount of money that I have spent.

Guest Fsfreeware

Hi Will;everybody has the right to be where is happy - nothing wrong with that! is fear and i'm fully with you.but - - Fsg - - only release the usa terrains - because I decided to deliver my Usa 38.2 m terrain as freeware - and not because a commerical move - but just as a gift to the community! FSG only decided to upload theirs files as freeware - to match my files - - and not because there was any intention from fsg to delivery any usa 38.2 m Free terrain files - to you or to any others.so:if there are Freeware fsg terrains files in the avsim library - - as free download - - is not thanks to Fsg or to you - - but this was just a what so called commercial move!that is what i argue of you there - you just paint the world - in false colours!! .......... and i better stop here!sorryray