Sign in to follow this  
jetsflier

How well will this work? [Urgent!]

Okay guys, I've been hunting for a computer for the longest time since I can't build one AND the price needs to be right. The reason this was marked as urgent is because I can get it for $225.00 off and with that free shipping and money back guarantee.

My current computer specs can be seen under my profile picture on the spot that says "My PC"

This computer is the one I'm considering buying, and I need advice quickly on whether or not it will work well for a decent experience, better than what I currently have at least.

Dell XPS 8500

Intel Core i7 @ Up to 3.90 GHz

Windows 8 64-bit

8GB Dual Channel RAM 1600MHz

1TB 7200RPM Hard Drive

AMD Radeon HD 7570 1.0GB GDDR5 [Optional upgrade to GTX 640 1GB GDDR5]

This computer cannot be overclocked as it is direct from DELL.

The most concerning part of it for me is that AMD Radeon Card, since it isn't Nvidia, even though I run an ATI card currently. I also have concern in the windows 8 OS. Then again, coming from Windows XP, I'm not sure Win8 will be bad in comparison!

Does anyone have any feedback to contribute?

Hmm

I would get the Nvidia card..

Perhaps get a SSD for FSX and the windows operating system

Also, people here still say Win 7 64 is the best way to go.. I don't know anything about windows 8 so its up to you.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy direct from Dell or HP ext.. Personally would make my own (see my specs)

Good luck!

Hmm

I would get the Nvidia card..

Perhaps get a SSD for FSX and the windows operating system

Also, people here still say Win 7 64 is the best way to go.. I don't know anything about windows 8 so its up to you.

Honestly, I wouldn't buy direct from Dell or HP ext.. Personally would make my own (see my specs)

Good luck!

Thanks for the response. As for building my own computer, I simply can't. I hear this lecture every time but it just isn't going to work for me. 

If anyone has anything else to say... please do so, I don't want this deal to pass me by!

I have an xps 8500 with i7 2600 (non k ) only running 3.4ghz and an ATI 7700 series HD Card.

I can run all the current payware NGX, ORBX, OPUS, FLY TAMPA, REX Textures all perfectly fine with decent fps, on avg about 20-25 fps on the ground at most airports.

I believe the weekness in my system is the poor CPU which i see Dell have upgraded in the 14 months since i bought mine

Not being able to overclock is a drawback, the ATi GPU is not an issue for me, however if the option was available to me at the time i would have chosen the GTX because of the overwhelming support and tips for it here on the fourms.

My advice is its a great machine and can run FSX quite well, but a few times a month i do window shop for a potential replacement

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

Thanks!since you have a comparatively lower setup than my potential one and get decent fps makes me feel a lot better.

Still open to advice.

For that price, you can't go wrong.  Should be a huge improvement over your current system.

Martin 

Sims: MSFS and X-plane 11

Home Airport: CYCW - Chilliwack, BC Canada

i5 13600KF 32GB DDR4 3600 RAM, RTX3080TI  HP Reverb G2

You could get an ssd drive as well, it speeds up load times quite a bit.

Good luck with your purchase

Stephen

Asus Z170 Deluxe, 32 GB DDR4 Dominator Platinum, i7 6700k mild overclock, GTX Titan ( Pascal ) Win10

For that price, you can't go wrong.  Should be a huge improvement over your current system.

I would agree - and I hope it will be. Chances are I will be buying it.

Do you have a friend that can build the computer for you ?

It is a great deal, but in my experience with dell is that their support is not great. I was like you like 3 yrs. ago I din't know nothing about building my own computer. After a while of research went ahead and built it myself and could be happier. If you can think about the long run, potentially spending less for upgrade plus getting what you want and more bank for you buck.

P.S. Still great deal , good luck!!!

Thanks for the response. As for building my own computer, I simply can't. I hear this lecture every time but it just isn't going to work for me. 

If anyone has anything else to say... please do so, I don't want this deal to pass me by!

Why not go to your local computer shop and have them build you one with your own specs? I am sure you could get a K series CPU, with SSD, NVIDIA card, Win7 64bit, and no DELL headaches for the same price if not less.

Going for a new system for FSX and not being able to OC will come back and haunt you in a year or two when more demanding add-ons pop up.

One really really bad thing of going with Dell, HP, Acer, is the quality of their internals. Mobo's can be extremely limiting, PSU are not of great quality, and the chance of actually buying a DOA product is much greater because of the number of goods they churn through.

Diego

That is pretty the problem with OEM'S and FSX quality is not there, their support is not great either..... Also is could turn into a never ending upgrade cycle and in the long run spending more........