Sign in to follow this  
rhumbaflappy

LOD8 Image tool

Hi all.

I've made a new tool which grabs an LOD8-sized image from various internet tile providers. Useful for getting a background image for SBuilder9 or Ground2k.

LOD8_Image.zip

Dick

Hi Dick this looks like a very useful tool. I just tried it out and unless I am missing something I can't seem to get any resolution better than 6 meters per pixel on any of the servers, any ideas? Is this just meant for lower res sat reference images for setting up runways and such in ADE or Sbuilder?

Best, Michael

KDFW

Like I wrote, background imagery for Ground2k or SBuilder. I clamped it at level 14 zoom because Ground2k will choke on larger images, and SBuilder will bog down quite a bit. SBuilder and Ground2k don't have tile imagery like SBuilderX. The LOD8 size is just right to create a 'cell' in LWM or VTP polys and lines for CFS2 FS2002 FS9.

Dick

Thanks, Dick, for yet another contribution to the cause. :smile:  Would it be possible to make a version that grabs just an LOD13 section in a higher resolution? This would make is possible to make a smaller but more detailed area in Sbuilder. I could do the same thing using Exploring Google Earth and a lot of patience...it would be great to have a more streamlined process.

The resolution is between 7-9 meters per pixel at level 14. The bgl code can only handle the 4.8 meter resolution average... so basically, we're already close to the maximum useful background image. SBuilder will take a more detailed image, but the detail is all lost in compiling. Truthfully, level 13 should be good enough for most VTP and LWM tracing.

The road and shoreline textures will take away any advantage to any finer resolution... the textures themselves obscuring the actual lines or edges.

Dick

Thanks for the info, Dick. I'm not a huge fan of large ground photo textures anyway, but I do incorporate smaller pieces within the airport boundaries. I've been using texture vtps, and it works nicely.

Speaking of airports, if anyone would like to adapt my recently uploaded KCMH for use with FSX, feel free to do so.  :smile:

Google has changed the http access to https, it appears. To get google satellite imagery with LOD5 Image or LOD8 Image, please download the following zip file. It contains needed changes to the GMap.NET.Core.dll

GMap.NET.Core.dll.zip

Rename the existing GMap.NET.Core.dll as GMap.NET.Core.dll.old, then unzip the new GMap.NET.Core.dll to the proper locations.

Dick

Thank you for the files. I've used dotpeek to recreate the code, and I'll have an updated version 3 available soon.

Dick