Sign in to follow this  
zfehr

You Lucky People ;-)

Guest Peter Sidoli

JimThat is a fantastic writing and really so true. We are always dissatisfied and always striving for what we perceive as better and better.As we go higher up the scale better means more expensive which means we have to fly someone elses aircraft.But even in the aircraft I am flying with its fancy electronic displays and autopilot systems way above the weather I was used to operating in I wonder???thanksPeter

Guest Crazed One

Mines a bit corny. If I had the money to do it I would start a non-profit company that gets goods directly to needy people in other countries. The aircraft would be a C-130 and I would advertise fly-ins to local airports where people could bring anything useable, canned foods blankets, water pumps, building materials, tools whatever they had that would be useful for whichever area was being helped out, maybee specific advertising for certain goods for certain flights ect..Then for free time, I would have some nice motorcycles load them on the plane, and me and my friends would fly somewhere for a nice vacation and see all the historical locations around the world in my free time,(rather when the wives would allow it, if ever.)Reality is, the money it costs for fuel, maintenance ect... on the C-130 would be better off sent to the country directly were it would do more good, not to mention the red tape of even attempting to get clearance to even fly to the locations in need, oh-well.So reality is, get a decent amphibian and a nice lake retreat somewhere, before I hit 100."We have come to the realization of the fact that true individual freedom cannot exist without economic security and independence. Necessitous men are not free men."

Interesting topic... figured I'd tell my 0 time to where I am story and where I wanna get to.I remember being 6 years old and standing at the Air Canada Cargo building at the end of runway 31 at Winnipeg International. These were the days of CP Air DC8s and DC10s, Pacific Western 737s, Wardair 747-200s and DC10s, Air Canada L1011s.. all these were common in Winnipeg going across the pond to England and such. Well those days are over for Winnipeg now and the biggest scheduled thing in here now is the UPS 757 :) Air Canada has reduced to A319s and A320s, and CRJs, Westjet 700s, Northwest DC9s and the occasional CRJ..anyways on with the story... At 18 I figured I wanna be an F18 fighter pilot... so son, hows your vision, well I wear contacts and I admit without glasses or contacts well its not pretty... well you can't be a fighter pilot, you could be a C130 Navigator... a Navigator, forget that stuff, I wanna fly the damned thing. Well after the airforce saying my vision sucked I figured there was no way I'd ever get on with an airline, so I washed the whole flying deal and got a Computer degree from University. First job, my boss is actually sitting in his office playing flightsim 98... hmmmm interesting I say... I need a computer at home to play this "thing". Well that company folded (as did the 5 other computer companies I worked for over the next 5 years) So I get my computer and flightsim 98... hmm I could handle doing this... lets take a real hard look into doing this again. Well I landed my last computer job, and the pay was great... sooo lets take ALL the money I make from there, and do it... a year later I'm a Commercial Pilot with a Multi IFR rating.. you know the typical 220 hour wonder who thinks you know everything but you really know Jack***t (And trust me, everyone who has 220 hours you really do know NOTHING) The aviation world is ALOT different for a commercial pilot than what you are told in training. So I have a job interview and do a groundschool at one company and I don't get picked with a bunch of other 200 hour wonders... how can I not get picked... I'm the only one that answered every question correctly I was asked... I'm later told I don't have enough "experience" Well no one else did either... and this is where I started learning about aviation... its not what you know (or think you know) Its WHO you know... everyone else in there was buddies with a Captain there except me... ahhh I get it now...So I go and get an instructor rating and get a job 60 miles away from home, and I drove there and back 4-5 times a week to fly for maybe 5 hours a week sometimes, and collect practically no money at all. Well 9/11 comes along, and kills the whole industry... no need to say anything else there everyone knows about that. Then I meet the right person, remember its not what you know, its WHO you know... so you wanna be IFR copilot on our Navajo Chieftain... its really rare you'll fly but when we do go IFR we'll need you, damn rights I'll take it... about 6 months later I was cut loose on a PA-23 Aztec. Hmmm multi time... I like this.... a year of that and I'm a Cheiftain Captain / IFR Training Captain... now I really like this, 5 months after that ATPL rated with 2100 hours... and thats where I sit now...My goals... well the ATPL has opened a few more "doors" to get on bigger and better places, for me I'd like to get on at Air Canada flying a 767-300 from Vancouver to Honolulu... but for now I'll keep flying the Navajo until something better comes along...

>I also have had thoughts of flying for someone in Hollywood.>Going to different locations all of the time, I am sure they>pamper you well. These jobs are a rare find I imagine, but it>all comes down to how well you have networked, in my opinion.I have a very good friend who was a corporate jet pilot for nearly thirty-five years. He's told me that with a few rare exceptions, he was treated as if he were a Greyhound bus driver... i.e., not very well at all.If the owner went to some exotic destination, he & his copilot would be sent to a third-class, seedy hotel, and would have to remain "on-call" 24/7... :( From conversations I've had with other corp-pilots, I've heard similar stories.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Guest Rockcliffe

If you've read Bob Buck's North Star Over My Shoulder he's had several dream jobs. One was flying a B17 (as a civilian) during World War II doing weather research. They had carte blanche to fly anywhere they wanted to chase down thunderstorms.Later, he became a 747 driver for TWA flying Newark to Paris. I'm sure that would get boring after a while, but the idea of spending a few days in one of the great cities of the World each month -- Paris, Rome, London, New York, Singapore, etc. -- that's what I'd call a dream job.If you've read the Golden Argosy series at flightsim.com you'll see how much the author loved his layovers in Rome.That said, my ultimate fantasy would be to fly, just once, in an F18 off a carrier.Wonder why? Watch this: http://www.grouchymedia.com/other_videos/m..._ride/index.cfm

Guest Peter Sidoli

So much of this hits a chord. It is so important to be a D*amned pest until people get so tired of you that they give you a ride and might even start to like your dogged determination.And that is the crux, dogged determination, being targeted, a little bit manipulative ;-)and then "watching your back", because its a dog eat dog world with everyone else trying to grab your fought after position.After a short spell in jets I seemed to be destined to be the worlds highest time Seneca Five Pilot.I wanted to move on before I got to old and I am sure everyone here was getting fed up with yet another Seneca five real world picture.Now I am in a position flying an almost brand new glass cockpit all singing all dancing, bells and whistles Citation Bravo.All of a sudden another opening flying a 20 year old smoking Citation 2 to fill the gaps.Funny thing but everyone used to envy me flying the Seneca Five, but its true you are always looking up at the guy above you and wishing you could fly that.Maybe I too will look down and envy the bright yellow piper Cub skimming the trees way below.Peter

Hi Peter,I haven't even gotten my PPL and have been simming since September 2003 (but I really "took off" starting February 2003 on my "World Trip" :).My dream would be to fly a 747-400 with any good company like KLM in long haul flights. Maybe even from Amsterdam Schipol (EHAM) to Princess Juliana airport in Netherland Antilles (Saint-Martin, or more correctly, SINT-MAARTEN, Mullet Beach) TNCM...The Jumbo is definitely my favourite aircraft by far but any other jet from 737/A320 class or bigger is also good. I just purchased the Ready For Pushback 747-200 and also the Flight1 Cessna SkyHawk 172R... *sigh* ... if only I could REALLY fly.I hope to save some money and start flying lessons, perhaps by next summer, we'll see.Happy "flying" everyone!John

Guest Wing Fat

My dream jobs:1) SpaceShipOne pilot for space tourists.2) Corporate pilot for a high-profile NASCAR team.3) Giving floatplane tours of the Hawaiian Islands.

>Believe it or not I would like to have a flying position with>a fractional jet company (say NetJets). Flying to vastly>different places, meeting different people every day. >>Michael J.>WinXP-Home SP2,AMD64 3500+,Abit AV8,Radeon X800Pro,36GB>Raptor,1GB PC3200,Audigy 2, Omega 2.7.90 (4xAA 16xAF)Ditto!!!

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Guest yarvelling

Jeeeezus Wept!!! That's pretty intense!! An amazing video, beautiful, but made all the more disconcerting as the camera is pointing backwards all the way...when that plane hits the carrier deck and stops, you can't help but roll with it!! I almost fell off my couch...ha ha!! The G-forces must be incredible...Thanks for sharing that link :)

Guest Kilstorm

Capt of a space shuttle but for now wold love to just get paid simming in FS9.

Yeah, I'm always looking up at the guy above me... with 2 radios equipped sometimes I listen to YWG Centre hearing United 222 Heavy radar identified 390, Air Canada 123 your traffic is an opposite direction A330 FL370... I dunno its almost a rush hearing that and being in the environment, as I scrape the tree tops at 200 knots.Funny thing is after talking to a few airline pilots and you tell them you're basically a Cheiftain bush pilot, they all recollect memories and say those were the days...

Guest Id Rather Be Flying

Hold Rotor & Jet Ratings and be Rusty Wallace's (Ryan Newman's when he's ready) personal pilot for His Bell 427 and Learjet's 35A & 31A. I would be able to travel the country and watch all the NASCAR races and GET PAID! :-jumpy I forgot to ad, I actually do this in FS2004 from time to time. Being able to fly all different types of aircraft (depending on distance) on the weekends to the city the day of the race then back to homebase when the race is over or the next day. Lot's of fun when you want a different challenge!Carmine http://ftp.avsim.com/dcforum/Images/wave.gif

And I have heard a lot of exactly the opposite. It seems to me from your stories that it would depend on who you work for. Although my pampering comment was referring to flying for a Hollywood actor/actress/director, and you just said a corporate job...maybe we are comparing apples to oranges. I wouldn't know since I don't know a ton of people with corporate gigs, just the locals.Craig

>Jim>As we go higher up the scale better means more expensive which>means we have to fly someone elses aircraft.>>But even in the aircraft I am flying with its fancy electronic>displays and autopilot systems way above the weather I was>used to operating in I wonder???>>thanks>>PeterMy pleasure. I know what you mean...I fly some pretty cool airplanes as well, but I am pretty happy they are not mine! My old Cherokee is about all I can afford.I think it's important not to lose grasp of the basics.The very thing that made you wake up and go to bed thinking about airplanes. (and still do!)I know that you know... the corporate world is dog eat dog. These guys would cut their Grandma's throat to get a position and that isn