Sign in to follow this  
z06z33

fsx real world weather vs rex plus what's better?

Which is more realistic? I use rex cloud textures with either engine Only thing is is that the rex plus weather engine cuts my fps in half is if worth the fps loss?

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

Opus with Rex...that's all she said!

AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 4.2 32 gig ram, Nvidia RTX3060 12 gig, Intel 760 SSD M2 NVMe 512 gig, M2NVMe 1Tbt (OS) M2NVMe 2Tbt (MSFS) Crucial MX500 SSD (Backup OS). VR Oculus Quest 2

YouTube:- https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC96wsF3D_h5GzNNJnuDH3WQ   ProATC/SR FB Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/1571953959750565

Flight Simulator First Officer User Group:- https://www.facebook.com/groups/564880128522788 ProATC/SR and Flight Sim First Officer (FSFO) Beta tester

Reality Is For People Who Can't Handle Simulation!

Opus.

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

I was using OPUS with REX and now changed over to FSGRW. I made the swap a couple of weeks ago or more.

I find that FSGRW gives great foggy weather, something I have been unable to reproduce with OPUS. The low vis we've been having in Western Sydney is spot on with FSGRW.

Diego

Rexe  shouldn't  cut  your  fps in halve  I've been using  rexe  from day  one  with no problems  at all, suggest put  your problem in the rexe forum  as there is  something  wrong  with your  set up

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Yes, I have also used REXE+HDOD in the past and it didn't cut my FPS in half either, so something is wrong....

I'm looking for a real weather program.  Both Opus and GS Global say that they don't provide cloud textures?

Does this mean that if i buy one of those, that the weather will not work unless i buy something else as well?

Sorry to sound thick on this but I just want a program where i install it and run it and i get real weather. Opus seems a bit complicated to run, or have i got the wrong impression?

TIA

I'm looking for a real weather program.  Both Opus and GS Global say that they don't provide cloud textures?

Does this mean that if i buy one of those, that the weather will not work unless i buy something else as well?

Sorry to sound thick on this but I just want a program where i install it and run it and i get real weather. Opus seems a bit complicated to run, or have i got the wrong impression?

TIA

You don't necessarily need addon textures for clouds, you can use Opus and GS Global just fine with default cloud textures. However for better looks I would recommend to get either REX or Active Sky 2012 (although for actual weather generation you can still use Opus or GS Global if you want, just install textures using REX or AS 2012). 

Hi,

ever tried this fine engine (freeware) :

http://www.hanse-coders.net/index.php?page=self&id=1

I think, it's worth a try

Gesendet vom Handy....

Cheers, Stephan

i7 4790K @4,6Ghz (102x45), ASUS Maximus VII Hero, 16GB Corsair Venegance 1866, Corsair WC H100i, Gigabyte GTX 780 OC, 3x SSD (Win7, FSX, P3D), Dell UHD 27'", Saitek Homecockpit

TIA

AS2012 is the way to go.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

If REX is impacting your FPS, it could be that you're using their highest resolution textures. In Options Manager I set my Performance Level to Custom and then use the 1024x1024 textures. They look great and have much less performance impact. You still need a good video card is you're using 2xSGSS or higher.

I would also check your AFFINITY_MASK. I have is set so FSX main thread runs on core 1, then if the weather engine is running on core 0 it will be much less impacted by FSX.

You could also try tuning your Cloud Draw Distance in FSX.

Some of the REX settings may also have an impact, for example if you enable interpolation it can add weather stations to FSX and also visibility smoothing may be adding a lot of extra layers in your weather configuration. I don't know how much these impact performance but they might make a difference.

Personally I use Opus most of the time for weather and also for the camera support, but I still use the REX textures and overall REX is far better than default weather and it has some nice tools for flight planning.

Barry Friedman

Opus......best weather engine I have ever used and I have tried them all right back to the original Active Sky circa 2002

I bought OPUS yesterday, but I can't get it to start.  It's loaded, no desktop icon, but when I go to the Opus folder and click on SERVER (even though it's one PC) because the instructions say to do that, I don't get a start on the program. Any tips?

Stan

It's 30 minutes later than my above post (Edit) and I think I have it working by doing some configuring.

Stan

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.