Sign in to follow this  
learn-by-flying

GEX for Prepar3d

Anyone have any news? I know flight1 is working on it but haven't had an update since: "Don't use GEX for FSX in P3D, and we are working on a P3D product".

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."

Disregard

Lee

if they ever produce it ,you wont be able to afford it, look at the P3d version of ifly 737 ,last time I checked cost approx £15 more  than the fsx version , and  is now  available in the professional section of flight1 site with a disclaimer that  states (Please note that this product is not licensed for commerical training.) if it is not for  licensed training why is it in the professional section of their site (by the was they spelt commercial wrong) and why is it £15 approx more expensive than the Fsx version ,most other dev provide P3d installers for free  ,in my humble opinion wait for Orbx Global

Peter

Flight1 are on an anti-Prepar3D campaign:

http://www.flightsim.ee/news/2013/on-flight1s-new-policy-and-on-the-most-bizzare-customer-weve-ever-had

Fortunately, FTX Global will soon replace GEX as the standard texture replacement package.

Same with other Flight1 products - e.g. the C177B has a built-in check that disables the virtual cockpit if you try to use it in Prepar3D.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Looks like Flight1 and GEX developer is pushing customers over to FTX Global. As I see it GEX is a dead software when ORBX brings their software to the market.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2

strange attitude for any company to knock P3D by lack of support ,when P3d  will finish up  as good as or a lot better than Fsx ,what I find really strange is that the developers of ifly 737 have  put all that work and effort  into developing their 737 add on,then  they allow flight1 to promote the P3d version,when as far as I can see flight1 do not want to support P3d,but I am constantly amazed by the way a few  developers /retailers  carry on ,Also the link to flightsim estonia,s site is good ,but it is also worth reading the actual thread ,sadly it speaks volumes about a certain company

peter

What could be a logical commercial reason for discouraging use of P3D? Right now P3D looks like it will become much more popular than FSX. Maybe it is because Lockheed Martin is  a very big contractor for a very big government. There are some people who hate both.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

What could be a logical commercial reason for discouraging use of P3D? Right now P3D looks like it will become much more popular than FSX. Maybe it is because Lockheed Martin is  a very big contractor for a very big government. There are some people who hate both.

It looks like Flight1 is trying to separate their product line into a "Professional" branch of Prepar3D addons and a "Consumer" line for FSX. The "Pro" products sell for much more than the entertainment products. Since the distinction is purely artificial (as P3D is 99.9% compatible with FSX addons), they need to find a way to keep people from using their cheaper consumer products in place of the more expensive Pro products. It wouldn't surprise me if they come out with a P3D version of GEX that costs several times more for the same product.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

The problem being that if a flight school/ instructor is teaching with it, they wouldn't exactly care how it looks, doesn't make sense to me.

UTX makes a little sense there

I would imagine it is not a high priority for them with their other commercial products but I believe they are still working on it. Considering that they are one of the several developers who have both an entertainment and a commercial product, I would also expect that the pricing would be more in line with the commercial market.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It looks like Flight1 is trying to separate their product line into a "Professional" branch of Prepar3D addons and a "Consumer" line for FSX. The "Pro" products sell for much more than the entertainment products. Since the distinction is purely artificial (as P3D is 99.9% compatible with FSX addons), they need to find a way to keep people from using their cheaper consumer products in place of the more expensive Pro products. It wouldn't surprise me if they come out with a P3D version of GEX that costs several times more for the same product.

Well said and nail on head I think.

I love Flight 1...but.............

This poilcy is clearly designed at protecting their pro market and nothing more. Flight 1 clearly bet the farm on P3D and the original ESP(?) as being a cash cow and never being avaialble to us 'mere mortals'.

As i have said many times, any addon developer that chooses either to not support P3D or raise the price to absurd levels (for non commercial use) is fine by me. I will simply spend my $ elsewhere. There are plenty of addon devs who are supporting P3D at zero extra charge. As P3D heads into V2 territory and continues to improve on the old FSX code we should all be uniting and jumping for joy (users AND addon devs). Instead we are determined to fracture the market with petty infighting over EULA's and such like. I wouldnt mind, but the EULA argument in most cases is simply used as an excuse to stealth protect another side of the addon devs business. I would have more respect if they just came out and said so honestly.

It certainly looks as though GEX will have to do something to compete as FTX Global will be P3D ready and GEX loses its status as the only global texture replacement set available.

I've been supporter of Flt1 GEX and UT since the beginning. I respect their business decision not to support PD3 the same as FSX. But now the must respect my decision not to continue support with their GEX product line. I to will move on to FTX textures when it releases, because it give me the opportunity to move on from FSX. Which is my future goal. They really ###### me off when they updated their GEX installers not install into PD3. So I will fight back with my wallet.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

I respect their business decision not to support PD3

They really ###### me off when they updated their GEX installers not install into PD3.

How can you be ###### off if you respect their decision? Do you mean that you respect their decision but at the same time you wanted to use their product in P3D no matter what? No offence to you but am I missing something here?

How can you be ###### off if you respect their decision? Do you mean that you respect their decision but at the same time you wanted to use their product in P3D no matter what? No offence to you but am I missing something here?

You can always respect something but not like it. Sometimes I don't like speed limits when I am running late, but I still respect them since its the law.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Tom

"I just wanna tell you both: good luck. We're all counting on you."