Sign in to follow this  
Azone

Is anyone close to cracking this thing open?

I ended up getting the engine and propeller curves converted this morning, so I can now take off, although things go into a downward spiral very quickly after that :)

Then everything is working fine!  You were always a bad pilot.  ;)

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

Whow!

I've been away, but this really captured my attention...

One question, that I do not know if it is possible for any of you to answer...

A year ago, when I was enthusiastic about the future of FLIGHT, I started digging into the structure of the air files. I noticed the presence of some additional moment of inertia records, and also much more detailed prop tables, although FLIGHT did present the same problems that FSX has.  Can you confir the the FDM does account for further MOIs than what we had in FSX? What about those prop tables?

Another feature, specially noticeable on the Maule, is what can be due to those new prop tables, that allow for the modelling of "negative torque effects" when you reduce throttle for descending and notice a progressive bank / yaw into the right, and  / or the possibility to define a canted vertical fin (canted engine thrust lines were possible already starting FSX).  Can you confirm that the right bank / yaw tendency ( realistic, and not modeled in FSX default native aircraft ) is indeed due to any of these additional details having been introduced in FLIGHT - canted lift surfaces like the vertical and or prop / reciprocating engine models that allow for the modeling of "negative torque" from the airflow forcing the blades when throttle reduced, say, for descent?

And, CONGRATULATIONS for the great Seabee model!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Those are really impressive accomplishments, guys!

I may have to reinstall Flight just to try out the Seabee, when it's ready.  It looks fantastic... for such an ugly plane.  :)

jcomm:

The sim in Flight is the area I know probably the least about.  I don't follow most of what you said, but Flight doesn't use air files.  The only MOI I know about are for the main aircraft axes, (pitch, yaw, roll), some cross axis MOIs which are almost always zero (lateral vertical plane, longitudinal lateral plane, longitudinal vertical plane) and one for each prop.  The prop tables are the same as FSX as far as I can tell.

The aerodynamics are simpler in a way in that there is a fixed type of equation instead of FSXs crazy one with all sorts of special cases, but it is more powerful because the inputs to the equation are flexible, and you can have as many equations contribute to a component of the FDM as you want.  Because of this it is highly configurable per plane.  I know people mentioned that at some point the Maule physics became worse in one of the last patches.  I'm not sure if that was a FDM change in data, or if it was a code change that did it.  It is also possible that it was both.  I remember there were discussions about it after the release, and supposedly they fixed it, but the studio was shutdown before it was released.

@stonelance:  Thx for your answer stonelance, and for the efforts you are doing to bring a new airplane to the Hangar ;-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Woah, great news! Thanks guys.

I saw the post that someone was making a SeaBee for Flight and I knew immediately who it was. And got excited.

I haven't been keeping up with the forums lately, but this gives me a good reason. Good luck, guys.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Just seeing the SeaBee in these Flight screen shots is surreal!  Great work guys!

Has anyone else noticed how positive our whole community is today?  Compare that with the early days of Flight when most comments were negative.  Let's keep it this way.

I think the haters got tired of hating and went away thinking its a dead sim, and there mission is accomplished.  If we can open the sim up to modding, I really think it could revitalize the sim.  I never liked the direction MS took with Flight (cockpitless warbirds), but the heard of Flight was a sim much more advanced then FSX in many ways.  The team was just never able to tap those advancements! 

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

yessssssssssssssssssss ... thats all i got for now .... ill have a drink on you guys for the work you have done and i know theres alot more to come in the future .......

Image removed as image is no longer available.

I swear my imaginations are getting the best of me right now. What my imaginations are telling me right now is that Flight will be the most popular simulation game by 2020 (assuming we can actually get this to work, and maybe start fiddling with scenery as well).

Flight will be the most popular simulation game by 2020 (assuming we can actually get this to work, and maybe start fiddling with scenery as well).

Agree, this all sounds quite encouraging - but it could take a while as you say.

I simply wanted to fly in different places so I've been giving XP10 a whirl recently which has kept me away from Flight. Although overall I'm very happy with it, Flight still holds a (very) special place in my simming heart, and if its potential can be unlocked no-one will be happier than me!

Unfortunately I can't offer any practical help, but I'll be keeping everything crossed for you guys :Applause:

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

Wow! Reading this just made my day!

Thank you Kevin and stonelance for your efforts!

Actually, I didn't want to throw more money at FSX, but to show my appreciation, I just purchased the Seabee over at Aerosoft.

One more question: Is there any chance of getting new missions into Flight?

The missions are SimProp files, so it is definitely possible, but they are extremely complicated.  On Flight we had an extremely powerful mission editor tool to author them, so I'm not sure how hard they would be to do by hand.