Sign in to follow this  
pinlifter

British Airways New Planes

Looks like BA is doing some heavy modernization, which unfortunately means their 744's will be sent packing.  I didn't see a timeframe listed for phasing out the 744's, but it sounds like in about 4-5 years or so.

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-06-10/british-airways-to-get-boeing-787s-from-june-26-a380-week-after.html?cmpid=yhoo

Chris Sunseri

Great info Matthew.  I didn't realize BA had so many 744's

Chris Sunseri

It is good to see the 744 will be around for years to come with some legacy airlines. With Air New Zealand we had delayed the retirement of the 744's because of the delay of the 787-9's. That delay meant a new lease on life for our beloved 744's and a few more opportunities for me to book flights on them.

I will miss them when they retire.

Matthew Kane

My last flight on a B747-400 was a few years ago with British Airways on a trip to India, and I loved it since I was flying the PMDG Queen at the same time, and it was a hoot replicating the flight in the sim.   I will be flying BA this summer for another vacation to India, except this time I'll be on the 777, and what timing, since the PMDG 777 should be released about or after that time. 

I sense that my trip on the BA 747 in 2009 was probably my last trip on the queen, what with the rate of retirement of the type and it's replacement by twin engined aircraft by some major carriers.  I'm sure she has lots of life left, especially with the cargo carriers, but the new -8 passenger variant does not appear to be selling very well. 

Great info Matthew.  I didn't realize BA had so many 744's

Yes. They are probably the largest user of the type at this time. Must be a serious hit to their profitability.

According to Wikipedia both Lufthansa and KLM have around 22 747s each (23 744s for LHA plus 6 787-8). Air France has only 10 744s left (against 64 777s). 

It's interesting to see that most major US carriers have let the 747 go for some time now (with the exception of Delta but I believe those 747 were inherited from Northwest).

Interesting also to see that BA still has so many 767s.

Rgds,

Bruno

Parts for RB211's are scarce now, making repairing and keeping all them 744's flying happily is a task!

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

AME GE90, GP7200 CFM56