Sir I'm not saying Sandy is faster than Ivy or haswell. Just it is not worth. it IPC is faster with haswell, it just not that great and it can easily compensated with sandy overclock potential (Fact).Also a solder part will keep cooler so it translate to a part that will last longer. FSX is respectfully a dead horse and putting more hardware power to try to solve the problem is has shown not to be the answer. New hardware (CPU mostly) yield are marginal (FACT). Their will be more potential with GPU, but again we have to wait for a new platform.

Just it is not worth. i

If you have a SB already, then I agree, its not worth moving to an IB or even Haswell probably. But if you don't have any of these and you are going to build a new PC, might as well go with the latest.

Manny

Beta tester for SIMStarter 

Gotta totally disagree with this (a few months ago when I didn't know better I would have agreed though).  As soon as you start using NI to set set high levels of AA the GPU usage shoots up noticeably.  Even in stock scenery if I put bufferpools to 0 on my old i7-860 cpu and set frames to unlimited and run REX weather with a good amount of clouds (just real weather with storms in the area) with just 4xS AA and 2xSGSS in DX9 mode I could make my gpu usage shoot to 99% in default scenery around KSAC which is not scenery heavy at all.  Even using bufferpools it's way up there with unlimited FPS.  Granted this is on a GTX560 Ti but it shows that a modern GPU can be taxed with the right settings while running FSX.

GPU usage is another matter entirely. Even the simplest game can push indicated GPU usage to 100% if you run it at Unlimited FPS.

Default scenery will push the GPU *harder* than OrbX scenery, because the CPU isn't bogged down by the excessive Autogen. "Flow" etc. (the whole FSX terrain compositing engine runs entirely off the CPU) so it can just keep pumping frames to the GPU.

If you really want to push your GPU, you should fly somewhere flat, with FPS at Unlimited and Autogen turned off. Usepools = 0 will increase GPU usage even more (while also improving FPS), since you're removing one more step for the CPU to do before it hands over to the GPU. The proper way to set up FSX is FPS limit @ 30 FPS, Usepools = 0. This will lower GPU usage and improve performance by balancing everything out.

GTX 460 is to weak for fsx if you want high performance with high quality addons and good graphics - for example NGX+ORBX+FSDT+UTX+GEX+REX+AS2012...

Even Titan has a big FPS drop in REX HD clouds. So, 570 can't be a overkill. Actually, at least GTX580 is recommended... If not 580, then 680 or higher from series 6

@@amir737, you will be fine with GTX570

That just isn't true. No matter how much we want FSX to take advantage of newer technologies, it just doesn't take advantage of any of the extra shading, pixel pushing or geometry processing power of newer GPUs;

-When I upgraded from a Phenom II to i7 4770K, I got a massive FPS boost. Same video card. The scaling is almost perfect, relative to CPU performance. This wouldn't be possible if the GPU was holding me back.

-No drop from using REX clouds instead of default. None.

-Already use most of the above mentioned add-ons, with great FPS.

-Again, going from 1024x768 no AA to 1680x1050 16XS AA caused absolutely no performance hit. If the GPU was a limiting factor, there would be a frame rate drop.

-I will upgrade my video card next month, for other games. With FSX/P3D, I'm not expecting any difference at all but I will be the first to admit I was wrong if that turns out to be the case.

The only thing that might cause issues is running out of video RAM. If you run out of VRAM, performance will absolutely tank, since the GPU has to use your system RAM which is infinitely slower than video RAM. So at higher resolutions you need more VRAM. 1GB may not be enough for a 27" display at native resolution.

Asus Prime X370 Pro / Ryzen 7 3800X / 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz / Gainward Ghost RTX 3060 Ti
MSFS / XP

Sandy is better quality and has a longer life expentansy. With Ivy and haswell if you want to hit 4.8 Ghz and 4.5 Ghz you need good colling witch I know isn't a problem, but TIM will degradate faster any way. Sandy is a "could be cheaper" (due to the difficulty of finding one now days) and it will last longer. Again yielding almost as close performance when overclocked.

Today I have a fried oc i7 930 to 3.8 ghz... I experience problems with this one which means I need to reduce the oc (max temp with prime 95 is around 92)... I have it something like 3 years.

Phenom II to Haswell of course it will make things better. My ultimate point here  is the quality of the part (last longer) and yield you get out of it. It is just a little behind (not much) but overclocking potential will make the IPC argument almost mute, again alsmost because I know Haswell IPC are a little faster (again only marginally), but the part itself will last less due to the TIM Intel used.

I'm just saying what I said so I can help (advice) you in a honest way, not in a fanatical way. Their is no need to keep up the jone's. My other advice will be wait until Ivybridge -E, it could still be a solder part.

Sandy is better quality and has a longer life expentansy. With Ivy and haswell if you want to hit 4.8 Ghz and 4.5 Ghz you need good colling witch I know isn't a problem, but TIM will degradate faster any way. Sandy is a "could be cheaper" (due to the difficulty of finding one now days) and it will last longer. Again yielding almost as close performance when overclocked.

IB its a tuffer CPU , not degrade as fast as SB more tolerant to high voltage stronger IMC

My 3770 @5ghz is faster than My 2700k @5.4

You sir don't know what your talking about. I guess you already delind it, so you know it has TIM that by it self tells you it will degrade faster, needless to say the head out put is greater due to the die size. Also having to delind it and give away my warranty...... Oh and also Voltage handling is not that great either if not wont you think the heat issue wont be present ? 

@JimmiG, obviously we're talking about different things. 

it's not about higher fps, it's about performance hit. If you set profile in nvidia inspector to get really good graphics and then go and fly in bad weather, using REX clouds, AS2012 weather and NGX at high quality payware airport. FPS hit will be massive.  

Of course, we can use other settings in nvidia inspector and there will be no FPS drop. But i allways try to get maximum from FSX

You sir don't know what your talking about.

Hard words from a man with lot of facts.

First the IHS or like your name TIM, has it someting to do with degradation or was it for some other reason INTEL begin with having IHS on the CPU:?

Electromigration is it something that the IHS do?

Have you heard about the SNDS or had it? I have but that was long time ago.

Kind of strange that the GPU:s and Mobile CPU:s dont have a IHS, if you dont have one can you explain if the degradation go faster or slower?

Cheers Hasse

I have seen it aleardy.. the question is if its the same with the 4770K... from what I have been told, in the bencmarks it is but I am not sure...

In my opinion...

Heat, is heat. I can''t see any reason why the NH-D14 would suddenly become less efficient just because it's a different CPU.

The surface area of the cooler, dissipating heat, hasn't changed and neither have the fans.

As I say, "in my opinion", it would appear logical that if it's superior for the 3770K then it remains so for the 4770K.

If you want definitive test results, then you would have to wait for future reviews, comparing the two, with the 4770K and 3770K.

I've heard very good things about the Thermalright Silver Arrow series of coolers btw - they look similar to the Noctua but are supposed to actually perform somewhat better than it.

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/silverArrow_sb-e_extreme.html

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

+1 for Sandy Bridge if you plan to overclock. Haswell's overclocking potential is so low, that the improved clock-to-clock performance won't do anything. You can make Sandy Bridge reach much higher clocks, and beat Haswell, at a much better price.

If you intend on de-lidding Haswell, fine, but it's also very risky. You might damage the CPU, and definitely lose your warranty at the same time.

The Beauty of the H100i is the software that it comes with. The software will control the fan speed automatically once you set your temperature profiles. My 2600K OC'd @ 4.8Ghz never goes above 70c, which means my fans never go full speed, and I can hardly hear them.

Diego

I think the Corsair software does the job quite well now, after the firmware updates...

However, I wouldn't say the software is a big deal. Modern motherboards come with software that does the same. I use Asus Fan Expert 2. It's great software.

I use it to control my case fans, easy to set up a custom fan profile. Offers great control over the fans, and you can control both PWM and non PWM fans.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFjQb0BdBiA&feature=share

I don't bother to use it for my Noctua D14fans, simply because they are very quiet at full RPM, but it does have that capability.

I've heard very good things about the Thermalright Silver Arrow series of coolers btw - they look similar to the Noctua but are supposed to actually perform somewhat better than it.

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/silverArrow_sb-e_extreme.html

The Silver Arrow is a great cooler. Which is why I suggested it to Noel.

Pretty much the same performance as the NH-D14. I think it beats the D14, by just a couple of degrees. The acoustics are said to be slightly better than the D14. Both are quiet though, so in practice you would be hard pushed to tell the difference.

It's the "Extreme" version you linked to Ryan. 

The Extreme version has noisy but very powerful fans, for those that want max cooling and aren't bothered about noise.

This is the guy that matches the D14 I believe...

http://www.thermalright.com/html/products/cpu_cooler/silverArrow_sb-e.html