Sign in to follow this  
bobterri

No ILS 30L KSJC

Recently, while flying on Vatsim in FSX, I was told to expect an ILS 30L approach into the default FSX KSJC airport. I have been doing ILS approaches for several years now. I set everything up for the approach, and when I expected to join the localizer, nothing happened. No localizer, no glide slope, nothing.

I then tried to intersect the localizer offline several times...nothing. In the map view from the menu in FSX it shows an ILS approach, but it just won't work. I even tried a backcourse approach because both 30L and 12R share the same frequency. No go. I tried several other airplanes and they too don't pick up the ILS on 30L. I tried an ILS approach to 12R and it worked flawlessly.

Then I downloaded and installed Ray Smith's KSJC scenery, but no change. ILS 30L still wouldn't work. Since then I have flown many other flights on Vatsim with ILS approaches into other airports and have no problems. Several times I have gone back to KSJC and tried an ILS approach to 30L offline, but still, it won't work.

I have Googled this and found no information.

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

Bob Bressert

I flew this approach yesterday - no problems.  Appears to be a local issue.  Also Googled this and saw that some folks had similar problems (isolated loss of ILS - but different facilities). 

Have you tried doing an FSX repair?

You sure GPS/NAV switch was on NAV?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Yep!

Allow me to think out loud, and, of course that is scary, but I'm wondering if I could somehow copy the default airport from a FSX installation on  another older computer that I don't use for Vatsim flying (ILS for 30L works on that computer) onto the computer that is giving me the problem with 30L?

Oh, and if so, where in the FSX directory would I find the default KSJC file?

Bob Bressert

Stumped me on that one - looked at the Scenery and a few other folders and did not recognize anything that would point to KSJC specifically.  Also did a search - nothing that relates to FSX (just flight plans, etc involving KSJC).

You could try copying the entire scenery folder (or, for that matter other folders that you think might have the specs you are looking for) but that might take some time (and could cause problems) so I would go with the FSX Repair first - should only take 15 or 20 minutes.

The FSX stock file for KSJC is APX15180.bgl. It's in FSX scenery folder 0102. Yes, it does have ILS RW30L.

I copied APX15180.bgl from the other computer, but no change.  Strange.  Anyone care to suggest another solution?

Bob Bressert

Opened it up in ADEX? Tried a third party afcad instead?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Anyone have a clue what is going on?

I opened up KSJC with ADE and could see there is a localizer / glideslope

Just flew it... worked for me with the MAAM-SIM DC-3 using an add-on panel.

What plane are you using btw?

Also btw, remarkable how low this brings you in over the downtown buildings.

I fly either default or freeware.  I've tried it in several aircraft and none can pick up the loc/gs.

I did something to make the FSX gods mad!!!

and....yes....you better not come in too low over downtown.

Also, I did try a 3rd party.  Ray Smith's.  

Bob Bressert

Somewhere in your addons you have a file that has deleted the ILS.

The way scenery works in FS is addons have higher priority than the default data and tell FS to ignore the default data.

You are going to have to figure out which one it is by disabling them in bunches until you find the bad file.

Short of someone else having done this already and posting their results, it is up to you to figure out what is causing it.

Once you determine what file is causing this, we can help you fix it.

regards,

Joe

The best gift you can give your children is your time.

sigbar.gif