Sign in to follow this  
Comanche

Working on my Hometown Airport

My hometown airport (KFRG) Republic airport Long Island NY, looked pretty bare in XP, but luckely for me, someone created an addon scenery for it for FSX, which someone else converted to an older version of XP. It still worked in XP10,but it needed some help. So using WED, I replaced some of the buildings and added some static parked aircraft and some photo scenery from G2XPL and now its looking pretty good. 

Using WED is a lot easier than you might think and if your favorite airports are not done, its easy to add some detail and life to it.

Rob

2-68_zpsb47d9c14.jpg

1-72_zpsf1c8c151.jpg

3-60_zpsb9a09113.jpg

Whow!  It's looking GREAT!

I have to learn those Arts!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Nice work!

I actually redid most of the entire city of Bakersfield, Ca. for XP9 and been thinking about doing some locations for XPX. How does one get started in WED, is there a tutorial?

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3

Wow I thought that 1st one was a photo when I first set eyes upon it, good job!

I actually redid most of the entire city of Bakersfield, Ca. for XP9 and been thinking about doing some locations for XPX. How does one get started in WED, is there a tutorial?

I haven't seen a tutorial per say, but there is the WED manual which is a little more "narrative" in how to use the tool rather than just being a reference...

http://www.x-plane.com/support/manuals/wed/

You might also want to search YouTube - there very well could be some video tutorials out there.

I'd recommend starting small - pick a simple, small airstrip to learn the basics of the tool. Then, move upwards to slightly larger airstrips. And on, and on from there.  The same techniques will be used on a big airport vs. a small one, but the amount of work needed to do a mid-to-large size airport is exponentially greater than a simple one runway airport with maybe a taxiway and apron, so it's best to learn on something more manageable.

Start small, get the feeling of accomplishment, and press forward!

-Greg

Hi, All,

Several months ago I submitted a link to a set of scenery design tutorials which appeared on xsimreviews.com. The tutorials were written by Robert Arts, and I don't believe the series has yet been completed, but there is plenty here to get you started.

http://xsimreviews.com/?s=scenery+design+tutorial&submit=Search

Regards,

Tom

Good links Tom, the tutorials will come in handy.

I haven't seen a tutorial per say, but there is the WED manual which is a little more "narrative" in how to use the tool rather than just being a reference...

http://www.x-plane.com/support/manuals/wed/

You might also want to search YouTube - there very well could be some video tutorials out there.

I'd recommend starting small - pick a simple, small airstrip to learn the basics of the tool. Then, move upwards to slightly larger airstrips. And on, and on from there. The same techniques will be used on a big airport vs. a small one, but the amount of work needed to do a mid-to-large size airport is exponentially greater than a simple one runway airport with maybe a taxiway and apron, so it's best to learn on something more manageable.

Start small, get the feeling of accomplishment, and press forward!

-Greg

Thanks, Greg and Tom! I will check them out.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 2

Ark

--------------------------

I9 9900K @ 5ghz / 32GB G.Skill (Samsung B) / Aorus Master Mobo / EVGA GTX 2080Ti FTW 3