Sign in to follow this  
shamrockflyer

A Completely New Design

WWDC has kicked off with the annual Keynote. Apple have come out with some really awesome new stuff ranging from MacBook Air with Haswell chips. To the all new Mac Pro with its really unique cylinder design (looks kinda like a trash can to me). Some really nice Apple hardware if you ask me! 

The thing I've been looking forward to the most...OS X and iOS 7. OS X Maverick is the new software for Macintosh computers, it features some really nice features, from Airplaying in full screen on your TV to reducing battery usage on your Mac. The most intriguing of them all though, is iOS 7. The really fresh new design, designed by Jony Ive. It has really changed since the previous iOS versions; which have pretty much been the same design with a few texture upgrades since the first iPhone launch. As usual iOS 7 has been released to Developers today so I can get my hands on it later today and discover the new UI. It will be out for the general public in September.

Share your thoughts on Apples latest releases/announcements, is it a yay or a nay for you?... 

Looks like they've finally caught up to 2008 with their design. Hopefully iOS8 comes out soon and we can get some useful multitasking. 

I like iOS7, but it does take a lot from WP and Android.

I have a 920, I'm not that interested in Android for some reason but I didn't get an iPhone because it was boring and had looked the same since day one. I might consider it for my next phone though, whenever that'll be.

My first ever PC was an Apple IIe, then later an Apple IIc. The only reason why I switched to PC was because Microsoft bought Flight Simulator from Sublogic, and have purchased numerous PC's ever since.

Now I am in the market for Apple once again, after almost 30 years of buying PC's. WHY????? Because Microsoft doesn't make a Flight Simulator anymore.

I will keep my current Flight Sim PC as is and use FSX on it for years to come. My next upgrade will be from Apple. Going back to them after almost 30 years so I look forward to something new.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

Lol, the new Mac Pro does look like a trash can.

iOS 7 didn't impress me. I mean, the new design looks great, but there are absolutely no features that come close to its Android counterpart.

I wish they would've "sneak-peaked" the iPhone 5S too, I was thinking of getting one in July when my family switches carriers.

Looks like they've finally caught up to 2008 with their design. Hopefully iOS8 comes out soon and we can get some useful multitasking. 

What was wrong with what they announced today regarding multitasking? Looked like a pretty significant update to the feature to me. I know it's not 100% "PC in your pocket" but that's not realistic right now if you're like me and don't want to carry around an lol huge device like the Galaxy Note II in your pocket. One of the main reasons I switched to iOS from Android is the terrible battery life that results from the way Android essentially does try to do that. The system Apple came up with seems like a pretty reasonable compromise between total usability and battery life.

iOS 7 didn't impress me. I mean, the new design looks great, but there are absolutely no features that come close to its Android counterpart.

Which features exactly? The only one I was hoping to see that they didn't do was the ability to set non-Apple default apps like having Gmail or Mailbox open automatically when it needs to send an email, Google Maps instead of Apple Maps etc. I knew that one was pretty unlikely though.

Everything else I wanted this seemed to have - quick toggles for radios and brightness and folders that aren't limited to just 1 page of apps are great new things and bring it up to par with what most Android phones have as far as those features go. The elimination of the skeuomorphic UI crap goes a long way to making it feel like a modern OS too. That stuff was awful.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Which features exactly? The only one I was hoping to see that they didn't do was the ability to set non-Apple default apps like having Gmail or Mailbox open automatically when it needs to send an email, Google Maps instead of Apple Maps etc. I knew that one was pretty unlikely though.

Everything else I wanted this seemed to have - quick toggles for radios and brightness and folders that aren't limited to just 1 page of apps are great new things and bring it up to par with what most Android phones have as far as those features go. The elimination of the skeuomorphic UI crap goes a long way to making it feel like a modern OS too. That stuff was awful.

Exactly that! Set programs as defaults, file manager, .wmv player, etc.

What was wrong with what they announced today regarding multitasking? Looked like a pretty significant update to the feature to me. I know it's not 100% "PC in your pocket" but that's not realistic right now if you're like me and don't want to carry around an lol huge device like the Galaxy Note II in your pocket. One of the main reasons I switched to iOS from Android is the terrible battery life that results from the way Android essentially does try to do that. The system Apple came up with seems like a pretty reasonable compromise between total usability and battery life.

Actual true multi-tasking, not a bar at the bottom that shows you which apps you have accessed recently.

An example from work today. Me and the other pilot for the company were filing flight plans from our phones using email, web browser and the fltplan app. I was able to finish two flight plans while he had to wait for one app to load and then find information on the email and then reload information from the web browser that stalled because it was not in use. It's nice because the battery last long because of how little information is processing but when the job needs to get done the Android wins out.