Sign in to follow this  
mosteen

Advice for the best <12500lbs single or twin prop

Gentlemen, I am doing the checkride for my Vatsim P5 rating mid-july:

http://www.vatsim.net/pilots/ptd/ratings/p5/

I need your advice for a twin or single prop not heavier than 12500 lbs for advanced IFR.

I am used to PMDG-quality and I fly (only) the NGX, the MD-11X and the J41. The latter sadly abit on the heavy side as per the P5 requirements.

So, if I am not allowed to fly the J41, what aircraft would you guys recommend me to buy, with price not being important?

I am a "systems"-guy and tend to loose interest fast if the aircrafts are not modelled in depth.

And, very important; as my FS rig works so smooth now, I would not like to install any aircraft that would endanger my PMDG aircrafts with dodgy installers or other known quirks ;)

Thank you in advance,

23.png

RealAir Legacy, Turbine Duke, Milviz Baron, Baytower RV7 but you probably have all of those.  The Aerosoft Cheyenne is older but a good simulation of the real bird too.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Accusimmed Civil P-51 from A2A.  It is full IFR capable with RXP support, fast, very systems deep.   

For example You don't just press 'ctrl-e' to start, you have to take into consideration outside air temp as it relates to how long you should prime the engine  Oil pressure is also high on cold starts and must be lowered by warming the engine, or using oil dilution.  You also can start the engine on primer alone, meaning you can feed in the mixture after the engine 'starts', like the real plane. 

Because it is a warbird, it will keep you on your toes, it isn't a 172, but as far as warbirds go, it is one of the better fast cross country cruiser platforms available.

Ryan's suggestions above are great choices too.

Cheers

TJ

I'd also go with RealAir,  but add a RealityXP GNS530 for a perfect IFR experience.

Piston Duke would be my choice for the kind of assignment you have in mind.

Bert

Also while not a prop definitely consider the Flight1 Mustang. Vatsim friendly using updatable Navigraph data.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Excellent point - what kind of avionics do you want to use / learn to use?

Garmin G1000:   Flight1 Mustang

Bendix King + Garmin:  RealAir Duke

Collins + Garmin:  Carenado C90 or B200 King Air

Bert

TJ, Bert and Ryan, thanks so much for your advice, the Baron and the P51 Civilian will shortly be rolled into my hangar, with freshly installed RXP 530s :)

Cheers,

23.png

Just a note you'll want the 430 for VC integration with the P51. A 530 will work as a 2d popup only.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |

Just a note you'll want the 430 for VC integration with the P51. A 530 will work as a 2d popup only.

Ah, thanks Ryan, I'll have to get both then. Reading about those acfts made me sure that I need them both ;)

23.png

I hope you meant "Duke"

:unsure:

TJ, Bert and Ryan, thanks so much for your advice, the Baron and the P51 Civilian will shortly be rolled into my hangar, with freshly installed RXP 530s :)

Bert

Duke it is! Sorry, reading too much on the forum ;)

23.png

fyi..

The RealAir Duke comes with it's own configuration app, which should be used to install the RXP GNS in the panel.

Bert

Morten,

You're also going to want to update the database for the RXP's to something more current than the very old original data.  See this thread for instructions: http://www.simforums.com/forums/nav-database-update-via-new-garmin-trainers_topic39731&SID=3825485ca37az71zc53bc9c4695fd4758564815.html

This will get you to June 2011, which at least gets you a bit more up to date.

Scott

@Bert, thanks, yes I read on Realairs page about the config and posibility for different combos in the stack.

@Scott, gracias mate, great info, I'll make sure to update.

Edit: Why are the updates lagging so much though?

23.png

Edit: Why are the updates lagging so much though?

The RXP's, being based on Garmin's trainer, don't really have an update-able database (Edit: for all PRACTICAL purposes) - it's one of their unfortunate drawbacks.  What users have been able to do is adopt data from more recent free Garmin trainers.  This technique works fine, but does require a release of something from Garmin that uses the same data.  About the only "solution" would be to have a RW Jepp subscription.  Very expen$ive!

Scott