Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

How to watch a replay of your flight (or landing in particular)

Often I think it would be great to be able to watch a replay of a flight and in particular to be able to watch a replay of your landing. However I've noticed when using the built-in feature for this in FSX it doesn't work out that good...

First of all the current state of the NGX will be transferred into the replay so for instance if I shut down the engines before looking at the replay (which I normally do since I do all my flying online and also with FS2Crew) the engines will not be running in the replay. Also any ground connections like the GPU will also be visible in the replay which does look rather funny but not exactly what I want. Of course it's easy to fix this by simply removing any ground connections before starting the replay but would be nice to have a replay feature that is a little bit more intelligent. Also missing in the replays are the animations of the flaps, the use of spoilers when touching down etc etc.

So...what are you guys using when you want to watch a replay?

Richard Åsberg

Pause the sim just after touchdown, ALT/Options/Replay.. watch with the outside view enabled.

After that, un-pause the sim and do the taxi.

Bert

FS Recorder. Its excellent.

Sounds familiar, will check it out.

Thanks!

Pause the sim just after touchdown, ALT/Options/Replay.. watch with the outside view enabled.

After that, un-pause the sim and do the taxi.

Not very popular to pause the sim when flying online ;)

Richard Åsberg

Not very popular to pause the sim when flying online ;)

"As real as it gets.."  ^_^

Bert

'Replay expert' here.

I don't think i have ever done an FS flight without (several) Replays of the take-off and landing. Doesn't feel 'complete' if i don't. I even think that if FS did not include a Replay mode i probabely wouldn't have bothered. You can image how happy i was with 'Active Camera' in FS9 and before. ( i moved heaven and earth to get Anticyclone to make AC compatible with FSX, didn't work.... )

This may sound strange to you but remember 'it takes all kinds' . As much as i am a wannabe pilot i am also a dedicated aircraft spotter. I just like to look at them, be it a Bleriot XI or a 777 and anything in between. Be it a model or the real thing.

I can understand that flying on line is not the best circumstance to stop the sim to watch a Replay . One of the reasons i never fly online myself.

If you care enough to watch a Replay of your flight ( take-offs and landings are the most interesting of course) i can advice you to make that a special flight off line. You could do circuits or very short flight from A to B. I could show you how to setup a special Camera Definition so you can stand along the runway at various positions watching your plane take-off, approach and land. Just like in the movies.

Btw, if you do it like this all anims like gear, flaps, spoilers, thrust reversers, etc. do work fine in Replay mode, both with inside and outside view.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on the subject. If you have not seen your immaculate approach and landing of a 747 while, miraculously, standing along the runway, like a very fortunate aircraft spotter, you haven't seen nothing yet ! B)

cheers,
jan

Jan

Hi there Jan!

Very kind of you to offer your help and I clearly see how into planespotting you are both IRL and in FS.

I on the other hand value the realism flying online with all that comes with that (ATC and "real" traffic around you) more than watching replays so I'll have a look at FS Recorder and hopefully that will let me do what I want...simply have a way to watch a landing etc after I finished the flight and disconnected from the online network VATSIM in my case.

Thanks anyway and happy flying :smile:

Richard Åsberg

'Replay expert' here.

I don't think i have ever done an FS flight without (several) Replays of the take-off and landing. Doesn't feel 'complete' if i don't. I even think that if FS did not include a Replay mode i probabely wouldn't have bothered. You can image how happy i was with 'Active Camera' in FS9 and before. ( i moved heaven and earth to get Anticyclone to make AC compatible with FSX, didn't work.... )

This may sound strange to you but remember 'it takes all kinds' . As much as i am a wannabe pilot i am also a dedicated aircraft spotter. I just like to look at them, be it a Bleriot XI or a 777 and anything in between. Be it a model or the real thing.

I can understand that flying on line is not the best circumstance to stop the sim to watch a Replay . One of the reasons i never fly online myself.

If you care enough to watch a Replay of your flight ( take-offs and landings are the most interesting of course) i can advice you to make that a special flight off line. You could do circuits or very short flight from A to B. I could show you how to setup a special Camera Definition so you can stand along the runway at various positions watching your plane take-off, approach and land. Just like in the movies.

Btw, if you do it like this all anims like gear, flaps, spoilers, thrust reversers, etc. do work fine in Replay mode, both with inside and outside view.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on the subject. If you have not seen your immaculate approach and landing of a 747 while, miraculously, standing along the runway, like a very fortunate aircraft spotter, you haven't seen nothing yet ! B)

cheers,

jan

I love this post.  Yep, takes all kinds and that's a great kind.  I have been tempted by FSRecorder myself...so many add ons. 

I on the other hand value the realism flying online with all that comes with that (ATC and "real" traffic around you) more than watching replays so I'll have a look at FS Recorder and hopefully that will let me do what I want...simply have a way to watch a landing etc after I finished the flight and disconnected from the online network VATSIM in my case.

I spoze you could just disconnect and they'd chalk it up to an FSX CTD.  Bonus points if you scream and yell "Oh the humanity!!" before doing so. It would, at least, give them something to talk about.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I spoze you could just disconnect and they'd chalk it up to an FSX CTD. Bonus points if you scream and yell "Oh the humanity!!" before doing so. It would, at least, give them something to talk about.

Yeah, that would really be something :LOL:

Richard Åsberg

cheers,

jan

Go for it.

Did some testing of FS Recorder now and although still not perfect with an advanced addon like the NGX a huge improvement over the default playback in FSX!

So cool finally being able to watch both the flaps, spoilers and reversers in action during replay :biggrin:

Richard Åsberg

Did some testing of FS Recorder now and although still not perfect with an advanced addon like the NGX a huge improvement over the default playback in FSX!

Can you give us a mini-review?  I have sat on my hands on that add-on for quite a while.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I have only did some very brief testing so far and I think the best way to find out what's it's all about is to download and install it to see for yourself. The installation is very quick and easy and once done you'll get a menu inside FSX called FS Recorder.

What I've found so far is that it comes with lots of very cool features. For instance you can record a flight and then you can replay your recording but tell FS Recorder that it should replay your recording as an AI aircraft meaning you can actually "fly together with yourself" so to speak. Must say I'm impressed by all the features included especially considering it's freeware.

However my main goal was to be able to watch my landings and have all animations working during the replay like the flaps, spoilers, reversers and so on and this seem to work just fine after my first test. What I also like to do is to "experience" my own landing as a passenger using the wing views and with FS Recorder this works really nice. For example you will see the small input adjustments and corrections looking at how the ailerons move reflecting your inputs during landing. Very cool indeed and gives you that sensation of realism since this is exactly what you see IRL as a passenger when you're lucky enough to get a window seat close to the wings.

Reason I said still not perfect is for instance if you start your replay after you put the a/c in a cold and dark state it will also be cold and dark inside the cockpit during replay. Would have been very nice if FS Recorder actaully showed you the exact state the a/c was in during recording but this is a minor problem since you can either make sure to start the replay before you put the a/c in a cold and dark state or if you like me mostly like to watch the replay from spot view or from a passenger's perspective using wing view it doesn't matter the cockpit is cold and dark during replay. I also noticed some other things, for instance if you start the replay with the flaps in their UP position they will move into landing position but it takes a while for them to go from UP to 30 or whatever you had them at for landing. Would have been great if they were in the correct position right away when you start the replay. Also noticed if you have the GPU connected when starting replay it will also be connected during replay meaning you will have the GPU hanging next to the a/c in the air but again...not a big problem...just make sure you don't have any ground connections like the GPU before you start the playback.

Will do some more testing but overall I'm very happy with FS Recorder and what it will let me do so thanks again for reminding me of this great addon! I did check it out a couple of years ago but at that time if my memory serves the moving parts like the flaps etc didn't work at all flying advanced addons like the NGX so that's why I dropped it that time. Great to see these things now work with the NGX!!

Now I'm off for a return flight from LEPA-ESSA and I'm already looking forward to watch my landing :wink:

Yeah...one more thing I forgot to mention that is really cool. You're also able to render an actual video which will be saved in wmv format. Sad though is you won't get the audio recorded but only the video as I understand it. Have to do more testing of this feature though. When I tried it I also noticed how the FPS dropped to a point where FSX wasn't playable but that might be because I didn't use the feature in the correct way. What would really be great would be if you could render a video from an already existing replay but maybe that's not even technically possible. Like I said, will have to learn more about this feature and what's possible and what is not.

Richard Åsberg

Yes I remember that is why I stopped using it.  It does have a bite on your fps.

Yeah...one more thing I forgot to mention that is really cool. You're also able to render an actual video which will be saved in wmv format. Sad though is you won't get the audio recorded but only the video as I understand it. Have to do more testing of this feature though. When I tried it I also noticed how the FPS dropped to a point where FSX wasn't playable but that might be because I didn't use the feature in the correct way. What would really be great would be if you could render a video from an already existing replay but maybe that's not even technically possible. Like I said, will have to learn more about this feature and what's possible and what is not.

IIRC, the feature is designed to be used during playback of your recorded flight. That's the beauty of this feature, it will render out your playback at the highest settings you can set in FSX at 30FPS. The drawback is that it will take a while depending on the muscle of your computer as it will render every frame at 30 FPS no matter how long it takes.

I don't have any experience trying this but did read up on it a while back. ... that and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night! lol