Sign in to follow this  
martinlest2

Dirt effect on tarmac & concrete

I get the FS 'dirt effect' on many taxiways and runways in FSX, with stones and dust being thrown in the air as I taxi. Is this fixable without disabling the effect altogether? Can't find a thread here in AVSIM about this...

Thanks,

Martin

From your pic, it seems that you're on an asphalt taxiway, and FSX doesn't normally show dirt and stones being thrown up.   However, by the looks of the surrounding areas, and assuming that piece of vegetation is not sitting on water, it could be that there is snow around.  In that case, FSX will apply snow (or, water) being kicked up by the wheels.   However, if it is dirt, maybe others could suggest a fix for your problem.

Chris

It is dirt and stones, not snow, I am pretty sure... I am pretty sure the same happens in all seasons anyeway (but will double check that).

There certainly is (or was) a fix to reduce the amount of dirt/snow being kicked up. It may or may not fix your problem. I think I may have it somewhere. I will take a look.

Many thanks for the links, Dick. I'll see what I can do with these and report back.  :-)

LATER: Yes, as you say, the first link is interesting but just removes the lumps of earth from the effect. I will have to try around at different airports and see exactly where I am getting this problem. I imagine that the problem is with airport sceneries and not global - but will post back on this.

I can always create a script file that temporarily disables the fx_tchdrt file I guess.

Update: Seems it only happens (at EGFF for instance) when there is snow on the ground. If I select to fly in Winter with no snow (February) all is fine. Move to early January when there is snow on the ground (all of which goes to show that Microsoft have precious little understanding of the complexities of British weather, but no matter!), then I get dirt thrown up from the runways and taxiways. :O