Sign in to follow this  
nbirjdf

Arming LOC/GS while LNAV/VNAV are active

Dear Gentlemen,

Could you please advise on how to arm LOC/GS modes while LNAV/VNAV are active?

Here is the real vid

You can see it at 7:30

It looks like something is done at 5:41, and you see the cyan ILS frequency data appear just underneath the pilots altitude tape, but just above the magenta FMGS data. It looks like he moves the HDG knob but I don't see any other activity from either pilot at that point.

On the NAV page in the FMS click on the soft key labeled "ARM APPCH" and then click again on "Tune APPCH".  Then select your NAV SOURCE to be ILS1.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

"Facts Don't Care About Your Feelings" - Shapiro2024

Thank you klamal,

but unfortunately i cannot find that soft key. There are just "hdg" and " miss appr"

Do you have an ILS approach selected in your flight plan?

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Definitely yes. Lets take another situation. HDG/VS are active ILS approach is selected and inserted to FP. Is it possible to arm LOC/GS, if you say 20 nm from rwy?

Unless I am miss-reading something here, I would say yes.  And, from my own approaches that I have flown, I have done exactly what you are talking about.  I haven't armed the approach or tuned the frequency until I'm about ready to intercept the LOC which has been anywhere between 12-20nm out.  I've been in various modes up to that point too(HDG/VS, HDG/VNAV, LNAV/VNAV) and I've never had an issue.

The other thing I wonder is if it's related somehow to the 50nm out tuning of VORs issue that has been talked about in the forums?  I don't remember the details with that but maybe that's causing you some problems?  Hard to say without seeing an actual flight.

Regards,

Kevin LaMal

Thank you klamal, will try another airports . Just opened real Universall fmc manual. Rather impressive, seems to be more comlicated than Boeing

I've seen this video before and have the same question. Watch again and you'll notice the cyan LOC needle appear in conjunction with magenta FMS needle on the PFD. I don't think this feature is modeled.

Todd

I've seen this video before and have the same question. Watch again and you'll notice the cyan LOC needle appear in conjunction with magenta FMS needle on the PFD. I don't think this feature is modeled.

Todd

Press "Format" button (just below the CDU/FMS) for about 3 seconds (hold down). This will show the Cyan LOC/VOR needle with the Magenta (needle or map display) LNAV data simultaneously. This way you can set up the course and frequency and monitor the ILS while in VNAV mode.

Make sure also that the NAV SOURCE is selected to the on-side FMS and not a NAV radio.

In normal operation, the Captain side is set to FMS1/NAV1, and the F/O side is set to FMS2/NAV2, as appropriate. Also check that the on-side (or both) ARCDU mode is set to FMS TUNE, and that the ILS frequency is active in both radios (required for DUAL operation).

Best regards,

Robin.