Sign in to follow this  
cliffardus

Captain Mike Ray’s excellent 737NG Tutorial

I have often been given help by members of the Forum and now I have something to give back.

The PMDG Manuals and information taught me to control the aircraft with a reasonable degree of competence. However I can't kid myself that I’m anywhere near the stage  that I’d like to achieve.

Therefore when I saw that Mike Ray had written a new guide to the 737NG (I’d already read and enjoyed his guide to the 747) I bought it from Amazon .

His “737NG Training Syllabus: Simulator and Check Ride Procedures” kept me riveted with the simplicity of the explanations, the easy to understand graphics and the humourous writing style.  And even gave me a few laugh-out-loud moments. The combination of the PMDG information with Mike’s book worked, for me at least, as perfect complements to each other.

I’ve read the book several times and each reading resulted in more “Eureka…….I have found it!” moments when I suddenly clicked into understandings that had previously eluded me.

Beware however………..I almost reached the point where a Marriage Guidance counselor would have been more appropriate than Flying Guidance counselling. You’ve been warned.

The “Syllabus” is as equally suitable for a Newbie as it will be to more advanced Sim. Pilots.

Enjoy.

Cliff

I have often been given help by members of the Forum and now I have something to give back.

The PMDG Manuals and information taught me to control the aircraft with a reasonable degree of competence. However I can't kid myself that I’m anywhere near the stage  that I’d like to achieve.

Therefore when I saw that Mike Ray had written a new guide to the 737NG (I’d already read and enjoyed his guide to the 747) I bought it from Amazon .

His “737NG Training Syllabus: Simulator and Check Ride Procedures” kept me riveted with the simplicity of the explanations, the easy to understand graphics and the humourous writing style.  And even gave me a few laugh-out-loud moments. The combination of the PMDG information with Mike’s book worked, for me at least, as perfect complements to each other.

I’ve read the book several times and each reading resulted in more “Eureka…….I have found it!” moments when I suddenly clicked into understandings that had previously eluded me.

Beware however………..I almost reached the point where a Marriage Guidance counselor would have been more appropriate than Flying Guidance counselling. You’ve been warned.

The “Syllabus” is as equally suitable for a Newbie as it will be to more advanced Sim. Pilots.

Enjoy.

Cliff

Hi - thanks for the heads up on that book. I've got his 757/767  747 books so maybe..... maybe.... :)

Regards

Carl

I agree.  I have the .pdf version of this book for my Nook, and it is excellent.  Cpt. Mike Ray is one of the best teachers that we have available for flight simulation.  He is a retired United Airlines captain that has flown about everything Boeing has to offer (and he is also very knowledgeable about Airbuses also).  He also has many hours on both the 757 and 747. Yet a man with this kind of real world valuable knowledge is not only happy to share it, but anxious to share it.

I will be buying the spiral bound version soon and really enjoy reading his books.  I believe I have almost all of them.  Most of what I understand about flying Boeing sims was learned from Cpt. Ray.

I appreciate him very much, and support his work by grabbing up what he writes, whenever I can.

Let me ask you a quick question: which manuals are you referencing? Right now I'm looking (on Amazon) at over $100 USD in books, especially if you were to buy more than one:

1. 737 Classic Pilot Handbook: Simulator and Checkride Procedures - $44.96
  2. The Unofficial Boeing 737 Glass Simulator Checkride Manual - $295 (Used)
  3. 737 Classic Pilot Handbook - $40.14
  4. 737NG Training Syllabus: for Flight Simulation (Flight Simmer Training manuals) (Volume 7) - $100.51
  5. 737NG Training Syllabus (Flight Simulator Training) (Volume 8) - $41.85

Now I've spent almost $70 on the PMDG 737NGX. I've spent another $40 on FS2Crew for the aircraft. And I would love to get my hands on some very good tutorial matter for it. But looking at the above list, I'm not sure what to buy. If you had to pick only one of them, which one would it be?

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

The PMDG Manuals and information taught me to control the aircraft with a reasonable degree of competence. However I can't kid myself that I’m anywhere near the stage that I’d like to achieve.

His “737NG Training Syllabus: Simulator and Check Ride Procedures” kept me riveted with the simplicity of the explanations, the easy to understand graphics and the humourous writing style. And even gave me a few laugh-out-loud moments. The combination of the PMDG information with Mike’s book worked, for me at least, as perfect complements to each other.

Enjoy.

Cliff

Ok, don't take this the wrong way, but that font is horrible. I endured it long enough to get the gist of your post. One question, do you have a link to the manual you are referring to?

Well, I just bought the 737 Classic Pilot Handbook: Simulator and Checkride Procedures for $45 USD, and it should be here on Monday. Looking at the example pages, it looks like just the thing to make this aircraft a little easier to understand.

As an aside, Amazon is probably the best place in the world to shop, especially if you pay the Prime membership fee ($79 annually). Two-day delivery with free shipping on most products. And there is a plethora (I like that word!) of flight-sim-related stuff up there.

-= Gary Barth =-

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg