Sign in to follow this  
mr340

AMD wins race to 5GHz CPU clock speed ( Who is Buying ?)

So it looks like AMD wins the race to 5Ghz clock speed CPU . Their next CPU will be the FX-9590 that will reach the speed of 5ghz on turbo boost . Here is the full article http://www.engadget.com/2013/06/11/amd-5gz-fx-chips/

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

dang guess I gotta upgrade from the fx-8350 now

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

This is interesting. If AMD continues like this they might actually become the better choice for FSX in the near future. I could be wrong, but we will see.

This is interesting. If AMD continues like this they might actually become the better choice for FSX in the near future. I could be wrong, but we will see.

Not a chance.  Not with this architecture, anyway.  AMD would need 7-8GHz chips to compete with Intel, at least in FSX.  

In the battle of specs this might push Intel in to uping clockspeeds ...

Danny Hicks

Not a chance.  Not with this architecture, anyway.  AMD would need 7-8GHz chips to compete with Intel, at least in FSX.  

Maybe but is the few extra fps worth a lot of extra $$$$$$$ to you? I mean my FX will beat anything from intel in it's price range I paid $179 for a cpu that is at stock 4 ghz and is happy to 5 ghz provided you have water cooling. 

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.

For me the jury will still be out until we get some serious benchmarks. Speed is no longer the holy grail with today's modern CPU architectures. It's a little more complicated now with Hyperthreading, Instructions per clock cycle, latency and many other factors. If the chip is built right then a much slower chip can easily overcome what it lacks in the GHz.

This is no longer a drag race. It's more like a road race with many curves and bumps. Yea, the engine may be there to get you going but how do you handle in corner.

Chuck Biggins

It's got like TDP of 220 watts usage the 9590 it make your electric bill higher, but 5.0 turbo speed it's got some potential.

Maybe but is the few extra fps worth a lot of extra $$$$$$$ to you? I mean my FX will beat anything from intel in it's price range I paid $179 for a cpu that is at stock 4 ghz and is happy to 5 ghz provided you have water cooling. 

You are so correct. I have spend 1200 dollars on the I7 extreme edition am not going to lie it runs fsx smooth an FPS are Stable at 30 lock it doesn't move from 30 not even on the ngx. Few months back i had problem my music production project was getting all mix up with fsx stuff. I was recording one day an by mistake i save the music project in the fsx Hard Drive . So i said am going to need a computer just for fsx . I started looking for intel CPU's but man they are so expensive just to run one game . So i said let me try AMD when i saw the FX 8350 vishera black edition i was is this for real . I search on some reviews about it . Everyone seems happy running major games like Battlefield 3 etc... So i bought two of the amd fx 8350 with asus sabertooth gen 3 R2.0 MOBO. Let me tell you i can run program in the background with fsx minimize  an fsx doesn't even flinch at all . FPS seem to stay still when running the NGX on Orbx Scenery.  Intel is just to expensive to run fsx i was even scared to OC my I7 Extreme Edition . My FX 8350 is OC to 5.0 today  running with 6 Chaise fan an Antec Liquid Cooling CPU FAN.  I would normally run the FX 8350 at 4.6 since i have an extra one i wasn't to scared to push it to the limits . I have run prime for 6 hours now no crash  temperature is at 60C on full load some times jumps to 65C but comes back down to 60C on full load. When running fsx it goes up to 55C when flying over dense scenery it goes up to 60C an drops to 55.

AMD is great for the price you get those CPU beats Intel any day with its price. To build another Intel rig will cost lots of money . But amd is not bad at all for fsx .

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

So i said let me try AMD when i saw the FX 8350 vishera black edition i was is this for real . I search on some reviews about it . Everyone seems happy running major games like Battlefield 3 etc... So i bought two of the amd fx 8350 with asus sabertooth gen 3 R2.0 MOBO. Let me tell you i can run program in the background with fsx minimize  an fsx doesn't even flinch at all . FPS seem to stay still when running the NGX on Orbx Scenery.  Intel is just to expensive to run fsx i was even scared to OC my I7 Extreme Edition 

You need 2 CPU's? Doesn't that kind of defeat the expensive part?

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Still, i5 3570k unlocked is equal in fps with fx6300 4.8 on single core performance. With photoscenery do not need to OC need more cores to improve loading textures. Mainly use fx6300 feel its more flexible than i5 3570k The high end in 2008 would low end in 2013 as pedrlum shift incrementally what high end is. Figure diminshing returns and limited incomes figure gotta prioritize what you want fligh sims.

Hi could you please tell me 

How much vcore do you set to get a stable 4.8 oc ? and what type of liquid cooling are you using ?

You are so correct. I have spend 1200 dollars on the I7 extreme edition am not going to lie it runs fsx smooth an FPS are Stable at 30 lock it doesn't move from 30 not even on the ngx. Few months back i had problem my music production project was getting all mix up with fsx stuff. I was recording one day an by mistake i save the music project in the fsx Hard Drive . So i said am going to need a computer just for fsx . I started looking for intel CPU's but man they are so expensive just to run one game . So i said let me try AMD when i saw the FX 8350 vishera black edition i was is this for real . I search on some reviews about it . Everyone seems happy running major games like Battlefield 3 etc... So i bought two of the amd fx 8350 with asus sabertooth gen 3 R2.0 MOBO. Let me tell you i can run program in the background with fsx minimize  an fsx doesn't even flinch at all . FPS seem to stay still when running the NGX on Orbx Scenery.  Intel is just to expensive to run fsx i was even scared to OC my I7 Extreme Edition . My FX 8350 is OC to 5.0 today  running with 6 Chaise fan an Antec Liquid Cooling CPU FAN.  I would normally run the FX 8350 at 4.6 since i have an extra one i wasn't to scared to push it to the limits . I have run prime for 6 hours now no crash  temperature is at 60C on full load some times jumps to 65C but comes back down to 60C on full load. When running fsx it goes up to 55C when flying over dense scenery it goes up to 60C an drops to 55.

AMD is great for the price you get those CPU beats Intel any day with its price. To build another Intel rig will cost lots of money . But amd is not bad at all for fsx .

I have a multiple screen setup here, with fsx running on one.. Movies and stuff on another, and some poker stuff all at the same time running on 1 I7. And i have no FPS drop or what so ever..