Sign in to follow this  
188AHC

AOTD for 6/11/13 - Oceanic 815

Another AOTD from Air1 (Steve).  Where does he come up with these?  I had never heard of Oceanic 815 so I guess I'll learn something.

Thanks, Steve.

Enjoy.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

What I can't figure out (besides Oceanic 815) is how he can tell it's a L-1011 if it's under a tarp! :LMAO:

I guess he "lost" me. :lol:

Best regards.

Luis

I'll go out on a limb and guess that if the aircraft crashed on the show then "Oceanic" would have been the name of the airline and "815" would have been the flight number. I never watched the show so this is REALLY just a guess!

Blue skies & tailwinds,

-Alan

Sheesh!

Another beauty Steve. I am voting to make this a keeper!

There are still a lot of undiscovered hidden treasures in Hawaii.

~Tom

There it is guys. No one ever watched LOST?

Steve

Well Steve, you got me good on this one!

When I read about the Aerocache on the MS Flight Aerocaches, I knew right where it was at, I thought!  “WRONG”

If I had taken a little more time to think about it, I would not have ASSumed, I knew right where it was.

1st try, I was parked right at PHNL, so I took off (a short hop) over to the park playground where I expected the aerocache to be. (I always try to go after the aerocaches in free flight) No aerocache sign?

2nd try, I shut down Flight and start it up again. I Started from PHJR this time (I fly the CC most of the time in cockpit view for max visibility) and flew over to the park at PHNL, still no aerocache sign?

3rd try, I hit on Activities and select Aerocache Hunt and select Start Hunt from PHJR (I do not turn on the distance indicator except as a last resort) and fly over to PHNL, still no aerocache sign?

4th try, the gloves come off. I start the hunt from PHJR with the distance indicator turned on and indicating within 20 nm. I take off and head over to PHNL, not paying any attention to the distance indicator. I get there and still no aerocache sign, so I look at the distance indicator, and it is now showing over 20 nm, boy am I in the wrong place! At this time I switched over to the P-51 and hunted up the aerocache at its right location.

The plane at the park is like a DC-10, not an L-1011.

I have mottos I try to live by, and one of them is “Live and Learn, as Long as YOU LEARN!) :blush:

I thought all of you would find this story somewhat humors.

To all a good day!  

J. R. :lol: 

I also thought it was going to be at the park end of Dillingham. No idea I would have to taxi so far to get there. That is a very nostalgic airstrip for me. I used to practice landing there back in the day. Even had a land and picnic once.

According to what I've read, (don't know if it's true :lol: ), the L-1011  in "Lost" was previously operated by Eastern and Delta before Oceanic bought it and crashed and killed all its passengers. :LMAO:  Or, were they really dead? :rolleyes:

Anyway, I have occasionally thought that the people involved in making that soap opera must have had a great time. The location is a true paradise. They must have filled up all the resorts and cabins in the area, like this just West of Dillingham (that has already served as an Aerocache.)

Oceanic_01_zps1d7ad5c9.jpg

I decided to put down at the pond although in real life it looks to be occupied by pisciculture.

Oceanic_02_zps20006167.jpg

The "open canopy" technique is very effective for braking.

Oceanic_03_zpsde5bc1f5.jpg

Then, I just beached the Icon and went up to enjoy the splendor of the North Shore.

Oceanic_04_zps71038a75.jpg

Best regards.

Luis

I came in low and hot in the C-46. 190 kts. at 100 ft. Right down the right side of the runway and ended going directly over the cache. The marker popped up and before I could evade, I had collected it.  I flew on, did a 180, and landed back on the runway. I then taxied up to the cache.  I still wasn't sure what significance this piece of the L-1011 possessed, but in reading the posts, I now know. I couldn't lift the tarp for a closer look, however.

I would never had gotten it though as I never watched that program.

This was a fun one. Thanks again, Steve.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals

Have you guys forgotten about the original permanent aerocache "Derelict Props"?

Blue skies & tailwinds,

-Alan

Of course not, Alan, but it was a long time ago and this was a good excuse to go back there and talk about "Lost" again.

Best regards.

Luis

"Derelict Props" was in almost the the same location but on the other side of the area. There is also the remains of the Beech D-18 that was used as the drug runner aircraft. It was in the same fenced in area as is a lot of the other wreckage from the airliner.   It has all been removed now and the area is overgrown but still can be seen on Google Earth. Something different anyway. It was fun researching.

Steve

Hate that I missed this one Steve.  Are you still submitting aerocaches or did they stop accepting them?

Hate that I missed this one Steve. Are you still submitting aerocaches or did they stop accepting them?

They are still accepting aerocacahes submissions. Just got a conformation of the last one yesterday. I think I have 18 submitted now, 5 more almost ready. 5 of mine are on the permanent list at the moment. All is good.

Also this is what the Oceanic 815 site looked like on google earth last time I checked.

Steve