Sign in to follow this  
Hornit

How to adjust roll ?

What parameter(s) would I fiddle with in the aircraft.cfg file to change the rate of roll of an a/c?Appreciate posts, thanks!JS

Guest allcott

Start with the man/machine interface.In other words, ensure your controller is effectively calibrated.Allcott

Guest Charlie Hall

Not sure if there is anything in the aircraft.cfg that would have the right effect, especially since according to the FS2004 aircraft container SDK some settings do not override the airfile unless FS Edit is used. Some reports suggest that FS Edit can have bad effects on an airfile. I do not know why that should be so, as I don't have FS Edit. Noting the original settings first or make a backup of the aircraft.cfg you are wanting to change, and try these one at a time (both at once for the last two) in no particular order: empty_weight_roll_MOI = (decrease the value, compare values of all MOI's against another aircraft of similar size that flies well) aileron_effectiveness = 1 (increase to say 1.5 to begin with, or any other figure higher than 1) roll_stability = 1 (try reducing? May have other unwanted side effects) aileron_area = (increase the value) aileron_up_limit = (try increasing value) aileron_down_limit = (try increasing value) Both of the last two items should be adjusted by the same percentage of the values. This is because some aircraft have differing values for up and down and the ratio should ideally stay the same. It might be better to use an airfile editor to make changes there instead, but unless you have a good idea what to do you will need to do some research into airfiles. There are a number of discussions in various forums. Try a Google search with "airfile" and see what comes up. If you are lucky to get a result with one or more cfg setting changes then you may have an easier task after all. No harm in trying, if it doesn't work, put it back as it was. If it works and you post your results it may help others.

Thanks for your comments, Charlie. Wow, looks more complex than I guessed. Might just live with it (!)JS

Guest Charlie Hall

It isn't so complicated to do. Just try one item at a time (the last two lines count as one item!). If no effect is seen, then put it back how it was and try the next! I think it is quite likely that changing the first (MOI line) will have no effect but no harm trying anyway. Here's an example of how you can change two items and still keep the original settings to change back to by putting them after two forward slashes. The lines are from the default 737-400 (which should not need modification in this way!). After you make any required changes just save the file and try the plane. If you change in the way I have shown below and want to change a line back to how it was, all you need to do is to delete the added figures and the forward slashes and the word "was", leaving the original figures, and save the file again.;Moments of Inertiaempty_weight_pitch_MOI = 3172439empty_weight_roll_MOI = 1000000//was2262183empty_weight_yaw_MOI = 3337024empty_weight_coupled_MOI = 0[flight_tuning]cruise_lift_scalar = 1.0parasite_drag_scalar = 1.0induced_drag_scalar = 1.0elevator_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_effectiveness = 1.5//was1.0rudder_effectiveness = 1.0pitch_stability = 1.0roll_stability = 1.0yaw_stability = 1.0elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0My instructions assumed that you required the roll to be more effective than before. Afer reading your original post I noticed that you did not specify whether you wanted a faster or slower roll rate. If you require the roll to be slower and perhaps more controllable, then go the opposite way with the figures to what I suggested initially. You can use figures less than 1 (eg 0.6) in the flight tuning section.

Thanks again Charlie. Yeah I want roll to be slower and gentler. She's a big jet. I want her to h-e-a-v-e over to the side gently and predictably.JS

Start first with the roll stability. Increasing that number makes it more stable in roll or "heavier" feeling. I use the pitch stability and roll stability a lot to fix flight models that dont feel right. Pitch stability will tend to make the nose less sensitive if you up that number.Hornit